Van insurance and appraisal info ??

dinobody

Observer
Who do you guys use for insuring your vans? I have a UJOR low mile ultra clean van. I am interested in a solid stated value policy. Who have you used for appraisals?
Thanks Doug

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I know this comes up a lot, but Ill be paying close attention. We've had two vehicles totaled (both my wife's, shocking) and despite my agents advice to keep all of my receipts, it doesn't work out well for me.
It's not unusual for me to have 20k or more in mods on my trucks, but my van will soon have twice that (or more). Generally my only real concern is a major loss (total theft or fire) where I couldn't recover most items. I asked my agent about a stated value policy on my last truck and just got the typical "keep receipts and pictures" response. Not what I need for my van.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Following!!! I am super interested in this as well, my AS B190 was pretty straight forward and a policy was issued by Progressive for stated value, my new van, NOT SO MUCH!!!! I called my normal insurer USAA so they could get me in touch with their affiliates and get the ball rolling, long story short, Progressive will not cover the van as an RV because it is listed as a cargo van, USAA will not give a stated value policy only a conversion van amendment that gives an additional $5k in coverage. When I told them $5k would basically cover my bumpers they laughed and said "sorry, this is all we can do". Not what I expected, I have been with them over 25 years. Now I am on the hunt, am going to go to the Motor Vehicle Dept and see if I can get a reclassification on my title. I'll post my findings when if I get any!
FWIW, I live in Colorado

Bluvan

I'm with travelers and they simply asked me value of mods and added it to vehicle value. I added 70$k to a 2003 e350 cargo 7.3 book value of maybe $10k to get approx value of ujor / smb / diy. May be a bit over insured but feels about right on replacement cost.

No questions asked on their end but I have a lot of policies with travelers and pay some healthy premiums.

In people's republic of California

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f9/seeking-rv-insurance-for-4wd-new-smb-5412.html

It's a lot to read, but it's very good info to know. Insurance companies will screw you without hesitation. Know your policy and what you pay for and don't pay for. I suggest finding a local insurance broker that has access to all the main carriers and have them do the legwork. Every state has different requirements to be considered an rv. Iirc in Idaho your rig has to have 4 of the 7 elements to be considered a true rv that can carry rv insurance. I don't have enough of those to go that route, but it sounded like that wasn't the best route to go anyway. I ended up going with safeco and an agreed value for total replacement for like 50k. It's been a while since all the jargon was fresh in my head. The insurance game for these custom vans is a pita.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior