Van cover

lcavalletti

Observer
So cal 4x4 pop top van owner here. My van is at home in the driveway and sits a lot as it is not a daily driver. Here in so cal the sun is brutal on cars that sit. What can I use to cover it so it doesn't age in the sun. I was thinking an rv cover would be best? A car port I don't think is high enough. Any suggestions?

dleeallen

Adventurer
I was thinking build a carport tall enough. Much more convenient than a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
How well do the tarp carports last in your area? Will the sun destroy one?

If you rent, or may get a bigger 'van', I'd use a tarp and pipe one. If needed extend the legs to get the needed height.

If zoning and budget allow... a carport or even a garage

lcavalletti

Observer
I'm thinking a car cover is best. Although not as convenient. My van sits really high with my CCTV high top. So a carport would have to be extended on cinder blocks. And we do get high winds on occasion. I can just see a Santa Ana wind blowing a carport to pieces. I'm seeing car covers for around 100 bucks. I think that's the direction to go. Although not as convenient.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
I'm thinking a car cover is best. Although not as convenient. My van sits really high with my CCTV high top. So a carport would have to be extended on cinder blocks. And we do get high winds on occasion. I can just see a Santa Ana wind blowing a carport to pieces. I'm seeing car covers for around 100 bucks. I think that's the direction to go. Although not as convenient.

Yes and no. You can take the cover anywhere (even if it's just moving the van from one side of the driveway to the other).

The only thing is that you might want to wash (or at least rinse) the van before putting the cover on. My friend says that if you put the cover over a dirty car, the wind might move the cover around on the sand/dust and scratch the paint.

All covers are not created equal and some can definitely chaf the paint. Can't be any worse than the sun in TX. I leave mine uncovered. I think monthly washing and semi-annual wax job is the key.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier