Van Conversion: Is it right for us?

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Sorry to hear about your wife.

Given your timeframe I would say get the Revel (I have only seen them from the outside) if your intentions are to travel places with ULSD. We are in the middle of a Total Composites build (on a 1988 MB 1120 AF because we plan on traveling in developing nations). I say the middle because we have been working on the truck/camper body for the last 6 months (full time) and will likely be for the next 6 months. The nice thing about the Revel is you could likely easily sell it if you change your mind, there are used ones available now (why waste a day) and although not your dream rig I bet it would be ok. The Sprinter, although has reported issues, is a very popular platform, must be a reason (plus it is a factory 4x4 instead of a conversion). The key is to get out and make some memories.

45Kevin

Adventurer
You will use that AWD in Baja next year for sure. Just getting around on the beach you need it.
Do you have any pics of the 270 degree awning?

Here is a link to my build thread with a picture of the foxwing awning deployed.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/marooned-in-paradise-another-express-awd.156576/page-3

I'm very impressed with the AWD system in the van and am confident that it will take me wherever I want to go.
I have a VIAIR compressor so airing down for sand is not a problem.

With your budget I'm sure you can find a second hand late model van that will fit you needs.
Haveyou looked on the Sportmobile forum for sale section?

Keyne

Adventurer
I agree with the Revel as a good choice, or maybe a used Sportsmobile? With your wife’s health issues I wouldn’t waste valuable time on a perfect custom van. If the Revel has most of what you want I would go for it.

My wife has health issues as well so we decided not to wait for a custom build. We are on the east coast and still working full time so an expo rig was overkill for us (not headed out west). We bought a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile (Sprinter 144) with all electric and diesel appliances (no propane). We are in our second season and are very very happy with the purchase. The layout has worked great for two people and the appliances have been awesome (diesel heat, AC, 4 AGM batteries, large 2nd alternator so not a traditional generator, and 6 year warranty). It is very self sufficient and great to drive. Not to mention we ordered in January 2017 and picked up in March 2017... no waiting 12-18 months and in your price range you could purchase a new one (Roadtrek and Winnebago tend to be 25% MSRP). Note, the Revel was not available when we purchased and it would have been a serious contender.

Another alternative that might be crazy to mention on Expo but you could buy a used Class A or a Wanderlodge (best value in my opinion), and tow a Jeep. Base camp the class A with all the comforts, easy access for your wife, and use the Jeep to explore, etc. A Wanderlodge can get to some off the beaten path places and you would have lots of tankeage of fresh water, grey, black and lots more propane than a regular RV as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles