Van 4x4 Random Purchase Thoughts

bumper crop

You could build a flatbed and 8' camper on your Tundra. 4x4 conversions on a van are $15k or more. Seems extreme vs starting with a truck that already has it.

I don't really understand the "need" to go from the cab to camper without going outside... but you can incorporate that feature if you wish. Cut a hole in the back of the cab and join the two.

i don't 'need' it. I said I'd like the convenience of it. I'm coming from a lifetime of tent camping, and on the Alaska trip, 2 months of slithering into bed from the rear hatch into a double wide coffin of a sleeping area. More space is appealing to me. And, there isnt much worse than setting up camp in the pouring rain. I'd like to not have to do that.

I have thought about building a camper for the back of my truck. But then it isn't a pick up truck anymore. And I use it as a truck all the time. Hauling hot rod parts, engines, chassis, etc. And hauling large scale paintings for exhibitions, or blank canvases to the studio, etc. So I don't really want to give up the utility of the truck. Which is why I'm looking at a separate vehicle for adventures.

4x4 conversions are expensive. The kits aren't anywhere near that much though, so I would probably install it myself if I go that route.

bumper crop

That was a line I ended up thinking would seriously work as well. I've now test drive two 4x4 econolines, a two 2wd econolines, and a 4x4 Chevy Express. The older ones with high miles just don't seem ready for me to take out on extended longterm travel without first allocating some budget to the mechanical bring up.

As I mentioned above I made the mistake of stopping at a Ford dealer and crawling through a Transit 148 Cargo Van. I didn't drive it and I thin it is to offroad camping as the Bee Gees are to Rock and Roll, but I could definitely see the appear of a newer, highway friendly rig that can "hide in plain site" while urban exploring, which caused me to think "Hmmm".

Whatever I buy will spend 95+% of it's life on pavement and I'm obsessed with wanting to access the remote back country areas beyond a mile off pavement? Like the "high clearnace, 4x4 recommended" areas of Big Bend I camped in a few weeks ago.
I know what you mean. If I really look at how the van will be used, I think high clearance 4x4 might not be necessary. But the truth is, when we went on the Alaska trip, I did almost 2000 miles off pavement. Not all of that required 4wd, but some did, and I wouldn't want to have missed any of it. So even for the 5% of the time it's needed, it might be worth it.

The Transit is appealing from the inside. The issues Quigley is having getting the 4x4 conversion ready for it is kinda troubling (issues with 10spd trans adaptation), and the AWD version is almost guaranteed not to live up to hopes.

What about the idea of a road oriented van, and towing your Jeep on trips that you want to go off road? Use the van as a home base?

Photobug

img_5315-jpg.634328

Really cool rig. I have never seen anything like it. I was at a loss for what a jeep camper was. It can still be used for a daily driver and for when you want to go offroad. It is like my big 3/4 ton truck. I have too much invested to let it go or try to alter it to more my needs so i went out and bought a small RV.

Although a new girlfriend would be cheaper, sounds like you can afford a nice rig. One of the things i factored into my recent purchase was how many stories I hear about older rigs breaking down with anything from small to major mishaps and all that relates to being broken down 1000 miles from home. My wife loves camping but hates broken down vehicles.

rruff

Explorer
I have thought about building a camper for the back of my truck. But then it isn't a pick up truck anymore. And I use it as a truck all the time. Hauling hot rod parts, engines, chassis, etc.

Flatbed with a removable camper? Or maybe a new truck and camper?

I know what you mean. If I really look at how the van will be used, I think high clearance 4x4 might not be necessary. But the truth is, when we went on the Alaska trip, I did almost 2000 miles off pavement. Not all of that required 4wd, but some did, and I wouldn't want to have missed any of it. So even for the 5% of the time it's needed, it might be worth it.

Would a locker on a 2wd van have done the trick? You can get lifts for the 2wd vans as well.

bumper crop

Flatbed with a removable camper? Or maybe a new truck and camper?

Would a locker on a 2wd van have done the trick? You can get lifts for the 2wd vans as well.

I think I'd rather put my efforts into the van idea instead of a second truck.

A well equipped 2wd van would have done most of what I've driven. But one of my goals for travel in the coming summers is to get into more remote areas than I did during that Alaska trip. So past travel isn't necessarily the best barometer for the future.

I am a teacher, and have summers off, and prioritize travel during this time. If borders are open this summer, we're gonna do a big loop of the Canadian Maritimes including the Trans Labrador Highway, and its dirt offshoots. And the North Maine Woods on the way.

If borders remain closed, our focus will probably shift to the Southwest US, and places like Joshua Tree and Zion and other places. Lots of good offroad opportunities there that I would like to take advantage of.

I have thought about a 2wd lift and locker for the rear axle as a start to the project. There are a number of Econolines in my area with low mileage and seem well cared for that are well under 10k. And if I do the high top conversion myself, I could spring for a 4x4 conversion installed by the people who make it. I could certainly find a way to afford it and do the work myself, but I would rather not. I'd rather put my fabrication efforts into my hot rod projects. Divide and conquer, ya know?!

gvb40

Jeep Camper = 2020 Rubicon + Ursa Minor poptop tent, dual battery, fridge, winch, lift, etc. Goes anywhere, super fun and awsome for me solo. But one lives "out of" it, not "in" it.

I do love it but my girlfriend isn't as "outdoorsy" as I thought she was. If I want to bring her along, she needs an indoor nighttime commode (even if just a pull-out cassette toilet), on-board cabin heat (my fault for taking her camping on a 30 degree night0 and a better bed for her back.

I either need a new rig or a new girlfriend. A 4x4 Van could solve it. Still go most off-road destinations, still reasonably able city vehicle and easy to park. That's my logic in a nutshell.

img_5315-jpg.634328
I’m sort of in the same boat but in reverse. My wife likes the amenities so I built a Sprinter but it does not have the Offroad capabilities of a Jeep. I keep thinking of selling and Jeeping it but I’ll miss some of the comfort also. I have no idea why this photo came out upside down

Attachments

• 2328C1F3-7B93-4956-B2AE-C079394F8BDE.jpeg
    2328C1F3-7B93-4956-B2AE-C079394F8BDE.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 81AC0A41-6D34-4AB8-9448-44EFA2EB058A.jpeg
    81AC0A41-6D34-4AB8-9448-44EFA2EB058A.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 24

rruff

Explorer
I either need a new rig or a new girlfriend.

I started building a rig to accommodate my wife... and then she left me. :( Figured I'd just finish it, rather than start over (again).... women...

Even if you think you have the optimal setup figured out... then, everything can change.

UjointoffroadCO

I went through this same line of thought when it was time to move on from a mid size truck with RTT. Drove several quig vans and other radius arm conversion E series vans with sub par build outs that were all priced over 50k. All needed major repairs, or drove like hell. Was starting to get discouraged and thinking about just getting a 4WC, but flipping through google images and instagram, every time I'd see a van I really liked it was always a Ujoint van. Finally got a chance to drive one and man what a difference. It doesn't drive anything like any other e-series. It's hard to describe, but they really do handle like a sports car. After putting the numbers to it, I found out I could buy a cheap van that needed some work, do the conversion and build the interior the way I wanted and still be in less money than buying someone else's basket case. 2 Years into ownership and I just absolutely could not be happier. The E-series just has so much going for it. If you break down in any town in north america, there is going to be someone there that knows how to fix it, and a parts store is going to have damn near everything you'd need to just do it yourself. Hell, I blew a radiator in the middle of nowhere CO on a sunday afternoon, and the local parts store had both 2 row and 3 row upgrades in stock. There is huge aftermarket support for it, and I think with a proper conversion under it, it is the most capable van offroad. I can do 80 mph with one hand on the wheel out to moab getting reasonable fuel economy, and then run hells revenge with all the jeeps. I'm now in the middle of my 5th Ujoint conversion for customers, and I'll extend the same offer to you that I extended to all my potential customers, come take my van for a drive. One quick trip up the hill is all you'll need to know if its right for you. I think if you spent 10k on a super nice newer EB van, 30ish on conversion, and another 10k on a hightop and interior build, you'd have pretty much exactly what you are after.
Edit: I'm in to my van including purchase of van for 35k

bravelion

I went through this same line of thought when it was time to move on from a mid size truck with RTT. Drove several quig vans and other radius arm conversion E series vans with sub par build outs that were all priced over 50k. All needed major repairs, or drove like hell. Was starting to get discouraged and thinking about just getting a 4WC, but flipping through google images and instagram, every time I'd see a van I really liked it was always a Ujoint van. Finally got a chance to drive one and man what a difference. It doesn't drive anything like any other e-series. It's hard to describe, but they really do handle like a sports car. After putting the numbers to it, I found out I could buy a cheap van that needed some work, do the conversion and build the interior the way I wanted and still be in less money than buying someone else's basket case. 2 Years into ownership and I just absolutely could not be happier. The E-series just has so much going for it. If you break down in any town in north america, there is going to be someone there that knows how to fix it, and a parts store is going to have damn near everything you'd need to just do it yourself. Hell, I blew a radiator in the middle of nowhere CO on a sunday afternoon, and the local parts store had both 2 row and 3 row upgrades in stock. There is huge aftermarket support for it, and I think with a proper conversion under it, it is the most capable van offroad. I can do 80 mph with one hand on the wheel out to moab getting reasonable fuel economy, and then run hells revenge with all the jeeps. I'm now in the middle of my 5th Ujoint conversion for customers, and I'll extend the same offer to you that I extended to all my potential customers, come take my van for a drive. One quick trip up the hill is all you'll need to know if its right for you. I think if you spent 10k on a super nice newer EB van, 30ish on conversion, and another 10k on a hightop and interior build, you'd have pretty much exactly what you are after.
Edit: I'm in to my van including purchase of van for 35k

Thanks Baker,

My latest neurosis has me wandering off into the Roadtrek world. Incredible how much functionality those squeeze into a 19 foot Chevy van. Completely self r er nclosed.

But, alas, no ground clearance at all. I would break it pulling into my driveway. No way they can leave flat ground. Would make a great highway road trip machine though.

I think your conclusion is aligned with what I’ve come to believe. I’m still searching, not ruling anything out, trying to be reasonable, but it just seems like everything is overpriced, or will take six months to a year to build.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FDM2012

Adventurer
Buy the B190.
Then put in a rear locker, some Fox 2.0 shocks and BFG's on all 4,
the Moog spring upgrade in the front, 2'' blocks in the rear,
and you will be good to go!

86scotty

Cynic
Buy the B190.
Then put in a rear locker, some Fox 2.0 shocks and BFG's on all 4,
the Moog spring upgrade in the front, 2'' blocks in the rear,
and you will be good to go!

I completely disagree, respectfully. Have you driven a 92 B190? Awful steering/suspension hard to overcome without a full 4x conversion updating everything. Old dash and interior with the early Ford van seatbelts that choke you. Old mass market RV components and interior that speak early 80's though sold in the 90's. Weak and thirsty drivetrain that can't really be updated, only replaced, and it will need it soon if it hasn't happened already.

I'm not hating on older vans, I just hate them. I've had about 10 of them and speak from experience. I'll never buy another E series older than 97 and preferably no older than 2005.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Jeep Camper = 2020 Rubicon + Ursa Minor poptop tent, dual battery, fridge, winch, lift, etc. Goes anywhere, super fun and awsome for me solo. But one lives "out of" it, not "in" it.

Nice Jeep Bravelion. After I sold my last van I bought a 2016 Rubicon and went full bore with AEV suspension, Ursa top and many other upgrades. It was unbelievably capable but a bit underpowered IMO. Our offroad adventures involve a few days of interstate to get there and the Jeep just doesn't shine at that. Also, no stealth camping which we enjoy while we are on the way to our favorite destinations.

Anyway, your challenge is going to be that no van is going to be nearly as capable. You can get most of the same places with a highly modded older E-series/SMB pop top type van but not as quickly or honestly as comfortably, not as reliably and not as efficiently. That's a lot of LY's, sorry.

My happy medium lately is a Tundra Crewmax because I need a truck at home. Currently having a pop top built for it (Super Pacific) to replace RTT.

If you and your lady want indoor restrooms, galley and bug free, climate controlled walk through you just can't beat a van. I would keep up the search. There are some nice SMB's and the like in your $50k budget but you'll have to be ready to act/travel fast or just drop a deposit sight unseen.

BeNimble

Well you could just keep your jeep camper and RENT a bigger vehicle to go camping with the girlfriend until you get another bigger one.
Maybe tow the jeep behind it to get further.

Or get a trailer and tow it with the jeep and downsize your offroad expectations for camping with the current partner.

Last edited:

Lilnuts

OP heres one in your budget range. Maybe more build out then you want and older, but it's seems to be a decent deal.

Heres another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz