Van 4x4 Random Purchase Thoughts

bravelion

I'm all over the map on my 4x4 van acquisition. Today I'll be looking at a 1992 B190 (way off my radar as it's more of an "RV") with 62K miles in Bastrop TX, then driving to Crestview RV in Buda TX to check out a 2021 Revel.

If I bought the b190, of course on the Ford E-350 platform, I'd take it to an shop for 4x4 conversion, or possible just a clearance lift and see how that does first. It would be a fairly capable beast, totally self-contained, but still a 1992 vehicle and more bells and whistles than I really need coming from a Jeep camper.

The Revel is more of a "know what you're saying no to" look-see. I don't want to spend that much but I'll be drivig past the dealer on the way home, so why not have a look.

Custom van builders are way backed up, so buying a shell and having it done could work, but not the wait on it.

Have also been checking out Used Vans with Quigley and other 4x4 that are "done and ready", but it's really hard sjop that long distance. I just flew to SLC and back for one I was excited about but had to take a pass on after the mechanical check revealed more than I want to inherit.

At this point I have a bit of shopping/searching fatigue. Any veteran shopper/buyers of 4x4 vans have any tips?

marret

It can take some time, or a long time, to find the right van, as you know. Demand is high now as well. Just have to keep looking. Not easy either when vehicles are not local. 4x4 conversion is available as mentioned so you don’t have to rule out 2wd.

Are you watching Sportsmobile Forum?
Sportsmobile Forum

If Sportsmobiles are in consideration, check out sportsmobile.com.
SMB

Photobug

At this point I have a bit of shopping/searching fatigue. Any veteran shopper/buyers of 4x4 vans have any tips?

Based on suggestions here I narrowed my search to a post 97 E350 because of the level of upgrades to the Econoline. I liked B190s and sportsmobiles but ended up with a Class C for simply the tons of space and long term liveability. I will look to add some lift and maybe drive upgrades after the summer. It is more luxury than i ever imagined but after sleeping in the back of my tuck or tent for years, I am really excited for the summer.

If you are considering looking at a new RV, you owe it to yourself to look at the Tigers.

Photobug

Have also been checking out Used Vans with Quigley and other 4x4 that are "done and ready", but it's really hard sjop that long distance. I just flew to SLC and back for one I was excited about but had to take a pass on after the mechanical check revealed more than I want to inherit.

Care to share what was wrong with the van you passed on?

As I shared I had a Ford Dealership do an inspection for me before flying out. I had the owner do a Facetime interview on the RV before I scheduled that and book my flight where he ran each RV system for me to show all systems were working. Before I found and bought my RV, I had spent almost 2 months searching. Not part of two months more closer to every waking hour checking on prospects all over the country. One night at O-dark 30 I saw one of the vans I really liked, the ad was 12 hours old and it had sold already. Two days later the van was re-listed for $6k more. I saw others listed for 30-50% over their 2019 values.

I am inherently a bargain shopper, tinkerer DIY guy and fixer upper. I wanted something turn key. In this economy your options are:
  • Spend every waking moment searching for that deal and be ready to put down a deposit, fly across country the moment something is listed.
  • Buy something at a premium just to get what you want.
  • Or buy something that needs work and do it yourself or pay someone to make the repairs or upgrades you want in a van.
  • Wait till the economy turns and people realize they can't afford the toy they just bought.

rruff

Explorer

This one.

• Wait till the economy turns and people realize they can't afford the toy they just bought.
More like, it's just sitting in the driveway and they don't use it. I expect a lot of people who got into camping to have something to "do" during the pandemic will go back to their normal distractions once it's over.

If you don't wish to wait, I think a 2wd van in good condition with some modest upgrades like a mild lift, better tires, and locker would get you around just fine. If you don't need the bells and whistles, the interior buildout can be simple.

Overdrive

Adventurer
Another consideration on having a shop convert an older van to 4x4... is finding a shop that does quality work in the as-promised time frame, and will be there to stand behind their work. If you don't already have such a shop lined up, you might find no one around that wants to take on such a project.

bravelion

Yesterday I did look at and drive the 1992 Airstream B190 (Econoline E350). Wow, super clean and everything top notch. A vintage classic. A bit overladen with "RV" amentities for me, though, not a great layout (no real dinette), and also the age kept knawing at me even though only 62k miles.

Then I headed to view the 2021 Rebel, but on the way stopped at a Ford dealer and crawled through a Transit 148 mid-roof. I won't go all into my thinking on an AWD version of the Transit, but it had previously not been on my consideration list but now it is something I would consider. Mainly because it is absent all of the age related shortcomings I keep running into and could be a nice blank slate, and the midroof allow almost full height standing.

Then ( checked out the 2021 Revel. Eh, it was just ok to me. I can see the appeal for certain use case of travel. I could tow my Jeep camper behind it and use something like that as a base camp (same with Transit) Like the Transit, I see it as more of a 70% capable offroad traveler.

A friend reminded me that I build a super clean and nice Jeep camper and asked why I think I can't do that again with an van. The "blank slate" newer van is starting to seem like a good practical direction to go. Then I end up with exactly what I want.

rruff

Explorer
A friend reminded me that I build a super clean and nice Jeep camper and asked why I think I can't do that again with an van. The "blank slate" newer van is starting to seem like a good practical direction to go. Then I end up with exactly what I want.

The only issue being modest offroad capability with any new van. Poor ground clearance and poor suspension travel. That's what led me to a truck+camper.

If you like the idea of a Transit, check out Victorian's (Total Composites) camper. The cutaway is ~$10k cheaper than the full van, and their insulated fiberglass box was ~$20k. Well worth a net $10k upgrade IMO. Or you could build the box yourself.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Are you watching Sportsmobile Forum?
Sportsmobile Forum

If Sportsmobiles are in consideration, check out sportsmobile.com.
SMB

Great advice.

And here is the link to the Texas Sportsmobile used van page:

There are two newer used F Series vans there.

I’m not knocking the Transit AWD but it would sure be nice to see some better ground clearance there.

What’s your general budget?

bravelion

Great advice.

And here is the link to the Texas Sportsmobile used van page:

There are two newer used F Series vans there.

I’m not knocking the Transit AWD but it would sure be nice to see some better ground clearance there.

What’s your general budget?

Budget is roughly $50K.

I already dumped a lot into my current Jeep Camper setup this year and don't want to get too crazy until I see if I'll keep the Jeep or sell it. I was looking at Vans under $30K to leave a $20K budget for DIY outfitting it and any upgrades, but everything I find like that is pretty old.

Thought about an E-350 from someplace like GoodGuys that sells some lower mile, 2000s Econoline Quigley vans in the $30Ks. But after driving several older vans I'm less excited about owning one, no matter how great it seems "on paper".

Perhaps I'm just too pick and need a higher Budget, which I would do with a brand new Van.

Photobug

I am at a loss for what a jeep camper is, but if you spent a ton of money tricking out a jeep, you will be disappointed in the performance of a van. No amount of money will make a vehicle twice the weight with a higher Center of Gravity drive like a smaller vehicle. You have to decide if you want to sacrifice performance for the comfort of a van.

bumper crop

I have been going through some similar things. My budget is nowhere near what you're working with, but I think we have some similar concerns. It's just that the old 4x4 vans at Goodguys are at the outside top end of my total budget.

In the summer of 2019, my wife and I spent 2 months on the road and did a 15000 mile trip with the farthest flung destination of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. We did it all in our RCSB Tundra with a cap on the back, and a drawer system I built myself. I don't really need anything beyond that technologically now, but I would like the convenience of a van that allowed us to go straight from the cabin to the living area, the ability to sit up in bed, maybe even stand up (!) inside, and something more than a 6 1/2 ft truck bed so I can stretch out. I'm 6'3" or so, and a pretty big guy. So I'd like some space.

Build a lot of hot rods, and work a lot on old cars, so I am not beyond a DIY, but I would really rather the truck not need work, and my attention can be focused on the camper part.

I am most seriously looking at good, late model, low mileage Econolines that I could outfit, and have a 4x4 conversion done to. A high top is probably part of the plan. But I could do that myself pretty easily.

bravelion

I am at a loss for what a jeep camper is, but if you spent a ton of money tricking out a jeep, you will be disappointed in the performance of a van. No amount of money will make a vehicle twice the weight with a higher Center of Gravity drive like a smaller vehicle. You have to decide if you want to sacrifice performance for the comfort of a van.

Jeep Camper = 2020 Rubicon + Ursa Minor poptop tent, dual battery, fridge, winch, lift, etc. Goes anywhere, super fun and awsome for me solo. But one lives "out of" it, not "in" it.

I do love it but my girlfriend isn't as "outdoorsy" as I thought she was. If I want to bring her along, she needs an indoor nighttime commode (even if just a pull-out cassette toilet), on-board cabin heat (my fault for taking her camping on a 30 degree night0 and a better bed for her back.

I either need a new rig or a new girlfriend. A 4x4 Van could solve it. Still go most off-road destinations, still reasonably able city vehicle and easy to park. That's my logic in a nutshell.

img_5315-jpg.634328

bravelion

I have been going through some similar things.
I am most seriously looking at good, late model, low mileage Econolines that I could outfit, and have a 4x4 conversion done to. A high top is probably part of the plan. But I could do that myself pretty easily.

That was a line I ended up thinking would seriously work as well. I've now test drive two 4x4 econolines, a two 2wd econolines, and a 4x4 Chevy Express. The older ones with high miles just don't seem ready for me to take out on extended longterm travel without first allocating some budget to the mechanical bring up.

As I mentioned above I made the mistake of stopping at a Ford dealer and crawling through a Transit 148 Cargo Van. I didn't drive it and I thin it is to offroad camping as the Bee Gees are to Rock and Roll, but I could definitely see the appear of a newer, highway friendly rig that can "hide in plain site" while urban exploring, which caused me to think "Hmmm".

Whatever I buy will spend 95+% of it's life on pavement and I'm obsessed with wanting to access the remote back country areas beyond a mile off pavement? Like the "high clearnace, 4x4 recommended" areas of Big Bend I camped in a few weeks ago.

rruff

Explorer
I don't really need anything beyond that technologically now, but I would like the convenience of a van that allowed us to go straight from the cabin to the living area, the ability to sit up in bed, maybe even stand up (!) inside, and something more than a 6 1/2 ft truck bed so I can stretch out. I'm 6'3" or so, and a pretty big guy. So I'd like some space.

You could build a flatbed and 8' camper on your Tundra. 4x4 conversions on a van are $15k or more. Seems extreme vs starting with a truck that already has it.

I don't really understand the "need" to go from the cab to camper without going outside... but you can incorporate that feature if you wish. Cut a hole in the back of the cab and join the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz