Valve seal replacement, on-engine, 6G74

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I just did a valve seal replacement on my '02 Montero Limited. Last time I did the job on my wife's truck, pulling the seals without the special Schely narrow access pliers was a chore.

This time, it was a much better job. Schley pliers and Lisle valve spring removal tool. I did a Twitter post to share the video clips with a friend, hopefully you can see them and the thread here.
The first clip doesn't show it, but the Lisle tool has a magnetized recess that catches the keepers as the retainer and spring are released as the tool is hit with the hammer. Just remove the retainer and spring then needle nose pliers pull the "caught" keepers from the magnetized end of the tool. On re-install, the tool has a spring loaded insert that drives the retainer with keepers installed down to be seated, while allowing the valve stem to stay put and collapse the spring loaded insert pin.

Last edited:

evomaki

Observer
Does that Lisle tool fit in all locations? I thought it might be obstructed toward the driver rear. Also, and not to hijack this thread, my kids 06 burns a quart of oil every 1,400 miles. Anybody know if the valve stem seals were replaced with better parts by 2006? No smoke at start up or smoke really at all. Does not look as if it is burning oil, but it is. If I knew it was the valve stem seals then I'd replace them. It was very obviously valve stem seals on my 2 other vehicles (both 2000 models - smoke at start up, etc.), which I replaces, and now those two don't burn a drop of oil despite likely having indifferent ownership and care in their past lives. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

normal_dave

Does that Lisle tool fit in all locations? I thought it might be obstructed toward the driver rear. Also, and not to hijack this thread, my kids 06 burns a quart of oil every 1,400 miles. Anybody know if the valve stem seals were replaced with better parts by 2006? No smoke at start up or smoke really at all. Does not look as if it is burning oil, but it is. If I knew it was the valve stem seals then I'd replace them. It was very obviously valve stem seals on my 2 other vehicles (both 2000 models - smoke at start up, etc.), which I replaces, and now those two don't burn a drop of oil despite likely having indifferent ownership and care in their past lives. Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
On the Montero, it reaches everywhere. Pulled the battery, and tied off the trans dipstick tube to make room. Passenger side unbolted a vac motor? near the rear to make room. On my wife's '03 Montero Sport 3.5L, I have a vague memory of unbolting the master cylinder just to make a bit of room, but it worked fine. Finding room to draw back and swing the hammer is a bit challenging. With the tools and pliers, the job was actually pretty good. Once I got going, I think about an hour per head. It's all the extra work, lifter clean/bleed, valve cover gaskets, upper intake etc. that makes the job so big. Interesting to note that I didn't see as much smoke with the Montero as I did with my wife's '03 Sport. Can't answer about the '06, (I recall some discussion about improved seals as well), but the wife's oil consumption practically disappeared with the new valve seals, and I am hoping for similar results with my Montero.

evomaki

Observer
Thanks. It's probably the valve stem seals on even the '06. I was hoping to not mess with that one, but I'm just kidding myself. Does the '02 model have the throttle plates which adjust the intake runner length? How did that look on your vehicle? I've heard stories ranging from OK to not. Something about screws could drop out.....

normal_dave

Thanks. It's probably the valve stem seals on even the '06. I was hoping to not mess with that one, but I'm just kidding myself. Does the '02 model have the throttle plates which adjust the intake runner length? How did that look on your vehicle? I've heard stories ranging from OK to not. Something about screws could drop out.....
'02 doesn't have the plate (3.5L). My brother has an '05 (3.8L) which does have the plate. He recently purchased it, high miles, he gave it the all clear on his recent gasket/wire/plug service so we'll see. I've read posts here where folks eliminated the plate setup entirely, did lose some low end torque but otherwise fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste