Valve Cover and Intake Removal 3.8l

The Viper

Adventurer
anyone have any tips for removing a valve cover that is completely stuck? The one that was leaking, the left pass wont budge, and i really dont want to stick a screw driver in there

KyleT

Explorer
A light tap with a dead blow or rubber Mallot should do it. I’d carefully get a puddy scraper under there too, plastic to not scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Viper

Adventurer
A light tap with a dead blow or rubber Mallot should do it. I'd carefully get a puddy scraper under there too, plastic to not scratch.

yep i finally got it off, just tapping with a rubber mallet, thanks

The Viper

Adventurer
Well it seems one of the valve cover gaskets doesnt want to fit...there isnt a Left and right gasket is there???

xdbd5g.jpg

10p66p3.jpg

312e7x4.jpg

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
It should even out once you get the bolt holes lined up. I want to strongly encourage you to take time to straighten the inner liner to match (parallel) the outer cover before installing the gasket. I used channelock pliers and carefully pulled the inner to the outer and sighting down the side to get the gap in the channel even for the gasket. Be sure to remove all traces of sealer, oil, etc from the channel. Wire brush? Same for the spark plug tube seal surfaces, clean and dry. I have a thought that the inner liner gets spread or bent to to over-tightening/mishandling. If it's not straight and clean, it's bound to create problems, even with a new gasket. Yours looks pretty wavy and beat up in the pics.

Also when it's time to install, the gasket should protrude just past the surface of the cover, basically holding the cover slightly above the surface of the head. Don't over tighten, and I only put sealer on the gasket's valve cover side before installing it into the channel, don't need too much here either.

Last edited:

The Viper

Adventurer
It should even out once you get the bolt holes lined up. I want to strongly encourage you to take time to straighten the inner liner to match (parallel) the outer cover before installing the gasket. I used channelock pliers and carefully pulled the inner to the outer and sighting down the side to get the gap in the channel even for the gasket. Be sure to remove all traces of sealer, oil, etc from the channel. Wire brush? Same for the spark plug tube seal surfaces, clean and dry. I have a thought that the inner liner gets spread or bent to to over-tightening/mishandling. If it's not straight and clean, it's bound to create problems, even with a new gasket. Yours looks pretty wavy and beat up in the pics.

Also when it's time to install, the gasket should protrude just past the surface of the cover, basically holding the cover slightly above the surface of the head. Don't over tighten, and I only put sealer on the gasket's valve cover side before installing it into the channel, don't need too much here either.

I finally got it to line up nicely, let me tell you though this job sucks...i dont care if things start leaking again, lol...ill gladly drop 800 on it for the professionals to fix. And screw that metal bracket on the middle driver side valve cover (holding the oil dipstick), those 2 bolts are impossible to get back in. Im done for the night, tomorrow the intake goes back on, then connecting the thousand connections :(

KyleT

Explorer
Flip it around. It only fits one way.

Edit
Too slow.

That bracket wasn’t too bad just takes forever. The EGR on the otherhand SUCKS.

The Viper

Adventurer
So here are my thoughts and opinions on this job:

I got everything put back together, minus some parts and bolts, LOL. I left a couple of the brackets off, things seem secure enough without them, although if your offroading i wouldn't recommend leaving them off. I had a major problem with the intake manifold bolt at the very rear of the manifold (by the firewall), for some reason it tightened a little, but then wouldn't tight all the way down nor could i loosen it, to get it off...all the other 6 bolts tightened fine, in the end i left that bolt as it was, as there was really nothing i could do except pray to the gods that i dont get a vacuum leak due to it. I found a little 3 inch rubber tube under the monty, i have no idea where that went.

It did start right up with no major issues. No hesitating or stuttering, i drove it for a little while, and it seems fine. whether or not the valve gaskets start leaking, that will have to wait a week till i check them. Whoever did this job before me did a terrible job on the valve cover...the cover was in crappy shape (see pics), there was gasket rtv all over the place,a generic valve cover gasket, autolite sparkplugs!!!, with no antiseize on the threads, and some generic plug wires I didnt bother to bend any of the valve cover back into shape as i didnt want to create further issues. If i had more money and time, 2xnew valve covers would have made this job way easier. Cleaning the valve cover was done with a brass brush and some rtv remover by permatex...this seemed to work well enough.

I consider myself average intelligence, and not great at putting things together, so this job definitely seemed over my head. I wouldnt recommend this full job if your just a brakes and oil change guy. I feel this job is best left to people that have been working on vehicles a long time and are real good with taking and putting things back together. The immense amount of things that need to be disconnected and moved is extreme and a ton of "attention to detail" is required.

If i only had to change the sparkplugs and wires the job would not have been all that bad, but adding in crappy valve covers just increases the job difficulty. I am very curious to see if i can get away with not having that 7th manifold bolt tightened down, if i do have problems, im just gonna take it to the mechanic.

EDIT: So thinking about the 7th manifold bolt being stuck, I'm assuming it got stuck very slightly on the metal gasket preventing it from screwing up or down. I think if someone pulled up with a little pressure while a 2nd person unscrews the bolt it would come loose

Last edited:

taybrynn

I did the valve covers on a 2003 montero sport ... and it sucked big time. Turned out good, but was a lot more than I had expected. Now we have a 2006 Montero (non sport) and this job looks much easier by comparison as there is a lot more space (to work within) everywhere. You can't change the plugs and wires on a sport without removing the plenum.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Every bolt is on there for a reason. Mitsu has been working this platform for decades, I’d be putting everything back as it was.

taybrynn

Whats the correct gap for the spark plugs? I used this gasket for $33 (after being recommended on other montero forums) ... it worked great and was high quality, perfect fit. No leaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94