Value of Rusted G?

OregonShooter

I recently test drove a 300GD The mechanicals seemed sorted out overall but the body was heavly rusted. I have never delt with a rusted vehicle like this before. (we don't use salt here). How do you establish a value for something like this? According to the owner quotes from the body shop were from 5-7K.
It would come with many replacement body panels. Doors/Roof/Frame were good.

somesnowday

Hello possible fellow Portland G owner. Tell me about the G you are looking at. I have worked on many of the Gs in Portland as I work for an independent mercedes shop here in Portland.

Is a lime green one? If so, then I've already done some frame repair to that one.

As for value it depends on how much rust. If you think there is a lot, then there is probably a lot more. If its real bad then I would walk away. If its kinda bad then I would plan on keeping it as is and riding it around with out a care. If the rust is mild then I would fix it.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I would not touch it. I am from Quebec and I have seen/owned way too many rusted cars...life is too short.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I agree!

I agree with Christian,

walk away.... I doubt $5-7K will get you new parts, welded in, body work and painted.

If you think it is rusty, it is worse under what you see.... see my FJ40 for an example ; )

stevegsmith

Observer
Generally, if the engine, chassis, and drivetrain are in good shape (well maintained and recently serviced..engine, tranny, transfer case, drive shafts, axles, suspension, etc.) AND the body really only needs $5-7K for a complete job (with re-paint), it may be worthwhile assuming the purchase price takes all this into account.

What's the asking price?
What year is it?
How many miles?
Are you mechanically inclined?

OregonShooter

The G is a 1986 original 300GD
It appears to have 150K miles based on maint records.
It comes with a little over 6K in body parts ordered from Euro Truck
The interior is in excellent shape.... No jump seats.
It was shipped here from Atlanta originaly a NH truck.
Asking price is 11.9K
I have no body work experience.
Nearly complete maint records.

Its the only one I've ever seen in person. Iv'e looked online and prices seem to very wildly for similar vehicles. My thought is that I would be into this thing 20K by the time every thing was sorted out. I've seen G's that appeard to be in excellent shap for that kind of money but again they are usually on the other side of the country.

mogmeister

What precisely is rusty? Many parts can be easy fabricated from shed metal and welted in. The last time I rebuild a G I bought the 2 peaces under the taillight and the 2 rear fenders together for under Euro 300. Is the mileage correct?? Usually diesel driver drive a lot. 300. 000 or 400.000km are not seldom. I sold my 1982, 300GD LWB with 450000 km with its first engine. With only 5 digits on the mileage it is hard to tell.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Generally, if the engine, chassis, and drivetrain are in good shape (well maintained and recently serviced..engine, tranny, transfer case, drive shafts, axles, suspension, etc.) AND the body really only needs $5-7K for a complete job (with re-paint), it may be worthwhile assuming the purchase price takes all this into account.

What's the asking price?
What year is it?
How many miles?
Are you mechanically inclined?

Generally, if the body/panels are rusted through, the engine, chassis and drivetrain are not in good shape.
Someone who leaves a G series go to rust is rarely someone who will take proper care of the mechanical components.

I would not touch it whatever the price is.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Generally, if the body/panels are rusted through, the engine, chassis and drivetrain are not in good shape.
Someone who leaves a G series go to rust is rarely someone who will take proper care of the mechanical components.

actually, i dont think thats a fair statement at all. a 1986 rig that was used in the salt belt for daily transport is going to take a rust beating. it has nothing to do with keeping it reliable, or scheduled maintenance. its why we here buy used cars from arizona, not locally.

stevegsmith

Observer

Point taken. Although, I know a G can have rusted body panels and decent running gear. I've seen it along with plenty of other vehicles. I meticulously maintained my old FJ55 yet let my body panels rust away. I knew I'd get to it someday.
Getting into a project like this always depends on the persons capacity and enthusiasm....right?
If you want a project, buy one.
If you want a perfect truck, and you have the means, buy one.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles