Value of a '85 60

toymaster

Explorer
I found a '85 model 60 with a V6, manual trans, two owner, all original, and 150K miles. Normal but not exessive wear, actually in great shape, no rust at all. Is it worth $11K :coffee:

Edit: What is the expected mpg with one of those? Factory weight and summer fuel.

irish_11

Explorer
a FJ60 of that year should have a 2f I6. Its a stout engine and have been known to go over 350k miles if taken care of. I would not pay 11k for one personally. I picked up my 90 FJ62 for $4k with 160k on the clock and no rust. Check out Ih8mud.com's 60-series section. There is a TON of info in there.

Depending on if it has been desmogged, the gearing, tires, elevation, driving style, etc. You can expect 10-18mpg. Between the city and highway there is a big difference. They have the aero dynamics of a brick, but they are stout and built to last.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
No way would I pay 11k for a fj60. Thats here in socal, though, where rust issues are generally a cut out and patch type of job, if present at all.

I looked at one last year for about $2500.00 that looked to be in good, usable shape. In need of baseline maintenence for sure, but definitely a rust-free driver.

Around here a fj60 would likely go for around $5k all stock, but in GREAT shape...with mods, mayyybe you'd get close to $6000-7000, but that's fully kitted out with bumper/winch/sliders/tire carrier, etc.

Others will probably have differing opinions, but that's simply what I was finding.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2958624289.html
$2800, not too many details, but looks pretty straight.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/2961125118.html
$2600, smog legal, straight body, needs tcase work and leak sealing. probably less then a couple thousand to get it tip-tip, including baseline mainenence.

I'd probably pass on these, and buy something in the $3000-4000 range if there were solid maintenence records that came with the truck, or a few more aftermarket parts, but these aren't HORRIBLE places to start, and nowhere near $11k.

toymaster

Explorer
Yep, after cruising the internet for a few hours about 7-8K is a premium for one of those. I guess I'll keep looking. THanks

Expedition Leader
Late last year I paid 5.5K for a primo '86 with a 5-speed tranny, and the owner (and the one before him) was a well-known professional Cruiser mechanic. Straight body, no rust, no leaks, runs perfect. Keep looking.

toymaster

Explorer
Well I emailed the guy from the website which it has been on since December. It is still for sale so I offered $7K. His reply was not polite. I guess he will be keeping it for a while then...

a.mus.ed

Explorer
For $16.5k you can get my cousin's 62 with a 12H-T (toyota diesel) and H55 (5-spd) swap. For sale thread in the exped vehicles for sale section.

edit: wrong price.

Last edited:

fullybalanced

Too many plans, not enough time
I sold mine a couple of years ago (84)....full kit and kabodle. De-smogged, lifted, roof rack, ARB, EMU, PIAA lights bumper, weber carb, no rust, second owner, 213K, perfect running (and very good looking), 35in BFG ATs, redone interior, upgraded stereo, headers, intake, dual batteries... other things I'm sure I left out. sold it on ebay for 12.5k. The new owner thought he got a bargain. I have to say, it was PROBABLY worth it. It ended up being shipped to Africa to his brother (or that's what I was told). He paid cash, so I didn't much care. I wouldn't pay 11k unless, it was 100% cherry (and I really wanted it bad).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles