value of a 1986 300GD SW

saw a 1986 300GD 2DR at local dealer, test drove it today, engine and tranny feel fine. no smoke, starts right away. No visible rust on the body, doors are in good shapes no holes no patches. paint is fine, Re-sprayed sometime in the past. very a few bubbles around the tailed lights. An old gentleman traded it in for a VW touareg TDI. the dealer don't know much about the truck and told me the previous owner had it for 11 years. And a newer tranny was installed. tires good. drove straight and breaks very well. downsides are: handbrake is stuck, AC compressor is there but not hooded up with belts, I guess its not working, no heat, no defroster, blower doesn't work don't know if its the switch problem or blower yet. heated windshield not working, heated seats not working, tachometer not working. seems like some of these electronic controls are not working. they want $15K cdn, but I don't know if its worth it. 230,000 kilometers.

what's the average reasonable price for a W460 300GD?

300gd2.jpg

300gd3.jpg

300gd1.jpg

Last edited:

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
saw a 1986 300GD 2DR at local dealer, test drove it today, engine and tranny feel fine. no smoke, starts right away. No visible rust on the body, doors are in good shapes no holes no patches. paint is fine, Re-sprayed sometime in the past. very a few bubbles around the tailed lights. An old gentleman traded it in for a VW touareg TDI. the dealer don't know much about the truck and told me the previous owner had it for 11 years. And a newer tranny was installed. tires good. drove straight and breaks very well. downsides are: handbrake is stuck, AC compressor is there but not hooded up with belts, I guess its not working, no heat, no defroster, blower doesn't work don't know if its the switch problem or blower yet. heated windshield not working, heated seats not working, tachometer not working. seems like some of these electronic controls are not working. they want $15K cdn, but I don't know if its worth it. 230,000 kilometers.

what's the average reasonable price for a W460 300GD?

300gd2.jpg

300gd3.jpg

300gd1.jpg

The price is not very far off to be honest. I would say because it has rust and it has been repainted that you should be very careful to make sure old rust was not patched and repainted. The AC not being hooked up should not be too difficult to put back together. Factory AC in a 300GD is rare - that's a selling point. The fender flares being painted is a downfall from the factory specification.

I'd say throw him $13,000 CDN cash and call you'll drive it away today. The rust will come back, be aware of that now. If he declines then I'd offer $14,250 as your final offer. It's a nice little G, but it looks like it needs some work for it to be worth $15,000 CDN. If they were interested in making the best buck they would resolve the heated seats, tachometer and anything else small and their price of $15,000 CDN could be much more justified. JMPO

PM me if you have any further questions; would love to help.

Hunter

stevegsmith

Observer
If you post this question on either of these forums, you're likely to get more helpful feedback.

Looks like a find truck. Check for play in the front wheels (bearings). Look for rust at the spring perches. Check the floor boards for rust. Check the oil levels in the diff and transfer case.

Have a mechanic go over it so you have a record of items from a third party to help you negotiate.

I realize you probably know all this.

If it turns out that it doesn't need much else and has been well maintained, then $13,000 is probably fair. $15K should be more "gem like" and rust free.

My two cents USD.

http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/index.php

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57

Schuhe

Looks to be a good deal - and even better if the rust is limited, and you could get for 13,500 or so. Did you buy it?

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles