Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

chmura

Adventurer
A. Where are you finding information about the cases? It’s also interesting as the deposits were non-refundable, no?

B. Others mentioned back on the Tacomaworld forums that they waited so long that the CC companies couldn’t do anything about a purchase 2 years prior to the dispute? Idk how much truth there is to that though

Go to Solano County Superiors Court website and do a case search. Type in business name. Bingo.

Deposits being non refundable doesnt be squat. They didn't provide a product which they promised in the specified timeline. That doesnt matter.

Last edited:

czukie

Go to Solano County Superiors Court website and do a case search. Type in business name. Bingo.

Deposits being non refundable doesnt be squat. They didn't provide a product which they promised in the specified timeline. That doesnt matter.

Playing devil’s advocate, I bought my spot from someone else so I don’t know, but is there any sort of document or contract saying that VO had to deliver the product in a certain amount of time? Given the variability of it all, I doubt any such promises were made.

I would think the lack of communication would be more grounds for litigation than not delivering ”in a specified timeline”…especially for those who ordered prior to, or during COVID. I know very little about the legal system (thankfully) but I don’t see much ground to stand on in regards to not delivering on time. I’m probably wrong, but I know several scenarios of people not getting their product due to supply chain issues or other things that did not result in lawsuits (as an example, my buddy‘s “promised delivery date” for his for Maverick was almost a year later than ‘promised’, and he was far from alone. I’m sure there are other scenarios as well).

Last edited:

chmura

Adventurer
How does buying someone spot work? VO refunds the money and then you give the deposit to VO?

If you have a good relationship with your CC company they do not ask much and you dont need to give any details if refundable or not. The main point is you didn't receive the product or service that you were promised. I even got 4 plane tickets refunded during covid and the airline basically told me to pound sand. I bought the lowest non refundable fair also. Called up my CC and after 2 months I had all my money back. Always pay with your CC and never with a ACH or debit card payment.

Last edited:

czukie

How does buying someone spot work? VO refunds the money and then you give the deposit to VO?

If you have a good relationship with your CC company they do not ask much and you dont need to give any details if refundable or not. The main point is you didn't receive the product or service that you were promised. I even got 4 plane tickets refunded during covid and the airline basically told me to pound sand. I bought the lowest non refundable fair also. Called up my CC and after 2 months I had all my money back. Always pay with your CC and never with a ACH or debit card payment.

You didnt receive a product or service, yet. I would think a CC could very easily deny the refund based on the timeline argument in my opinion, but I don’t work in that field so idk.

For purchasing a spot, you pay the person who has the spot. You then both email VO and VO will change relevant information regarding the purchaser, the vehicle, add ons, etc.…then you wait 2 years, without any communication, for the second invoice and proceed as all other ‘normal’ transactions when purchasing the camper.

As far as refunding a person who has bought a spot in line; I haven’t heard too many people actually getting a refund from VO, but if that were the case they would likely refund to the CC of the individual who originally bought the spot and you would have to try and get that back from the person who originally purchased the spot. VO is not a broker in that capacity so if you haven’t paid any deposit to VO yet, idk what form of payment they would even have for the person who bought the spot in line. You’d be SOL.

As far as the CC goes, I don’t know. People on Tacomaworld seemed to have mostly successful stories, but some did say that their CC company’s wouldn’t do much for a variety of reasons. Everyone successful seemed to only have the first payment/invoice with VO, not the second.

chmura

Adventurer
That is not very promising and I hope a lot of people did not do that. That is not very smart either, paying someone for their spot directly. That can get messy very quick and you are pretty much out of luck if things go south with VB.

I am hoping for VB to improve their lead times as I waited 2 years for my camper early on. Phil and the crew did an awesome job and even threw in a set of L track adapter set that was worth about $100 when I asked for the part number. He said just take them. They are good guys and I hope things improve there as I want the business to be successful.

With the entire CC thing. Give a shot, there is no penalty if the dispute gets denied.

I also seen people pay full price for their camper. DO NOT pay full price until you have a pick up date. I paid Phil 1 or 2 days before my pickup date. After all this is YOUR money and you have to be smart about it. I cringe when people pay full price and their camper is not done yet...

czukie

That is not very promising and I hope a lot of people did not do that. That is not very smart either, paying someone for their spot directly. That can get messy very quick and you are pretty much out of luck if things go south with VB.

I am hoping for VB to improve their lead times as I waited 2 years for my camper early on. Phil and the crew did an awesome job and even threw in a set of L track adapter set that was worth about $100 when I asked for the part number. He said just take them. They are good guys and I hope things improve there as I want the business to be successful.

With the entire CC thing. Give a shot, there is no penalty if the dispute gets denied.

I also seen people pay full price for their camper. DO NOT pay full price until you have a pick up date. I paid Phil 1 or 2 days before my pickup date. After all this is YOUR money and you have to be smart about it. I cringe when people pay full price and their camper is not done yet...

Anyone who purchases, and has not received a camper, is out of luck if VO goes south lol it doesn't matter if you bought a spot from someone else or not.

I'm not sure they will finish/start building your camper until the second invoice is paid. I don't think you can pay in full a day two prior to pick up. At least not anymore...I could be wrong but, I was under the impression they weren't going to start building my camper until I paid my second invoice (and in turn, the add-ons).

llamalander

Managed to stop by today, not closed, folks working, but Phil was not there.
Talked to Chris about the changes discussed in the email and where current production was.
There were 13 Drifter/Nomads in the shop, about a third had tents, one was old stock in for new windows.
As I "will be in the next batch" my guess is that they are in the 200-210's roughly. Output, they confirmed, is still about what we have seen for the last few years; one per month.
The aim of the streamlining is to make that 1 per week, but how far away that is... we will see.

What I did see is some of the improvements. The new door they are designing for the back is a trapezoid- no rounded edges at the top- and will be aluminum available with or without a window. My hope is that the glass is still fairly big, but I forgot to ask. My other hope is that it doesn't channel water into the camper when lifted, which the rounded top windows will do without fail. Once they can make their own doors, that should speed things up.IMG_4523.jpegIMG_4524.jpeg

The new gray powder-coat is fairly light, here's a dark gray and light gray comparison.

Powder coating happens to the 2 parts (base and lifting portion of the roof) once they have been welded together from the cut & formed pieces they get back from the CNC company. Now that all campers get PC, I imagine there is no longer the stain-grade/paint-grade difference for protecting the protective wrap while assembling. Production might be a little more linear if everything has the same process. Forgot to ask how the PC was affecting turnaround, or if that was happening as fast as Vagabond could get them the parts.

The left photo has the older Frontrunner windows, there were no Tern windows mounted, but the hatch looks excellent. All are top hinged black doors with black trim and hardware, 2 locking twist handles that look to cam down to pressure the seals. They look to open about 130º on quality struts and are insulated.

The Tern windows use more latches, three on the bottom and two on the sides, which are not accessible from the outside. The struts will lock at the 20º & 40º positions, and 60º is the max opening, which is will make access through them difficult. Here's a stock photos of both-
1d5cc9_717b9ad63a8e4def8320397481bb9afb_mv2.jpg1d5cc9_cb1878978a6a45608b71f6132d05f519_mv2.jpg

The Tern door option is actually a retrofit, riveted and glued on to the original back. For the Nomad, it is fully reversible, for the Drifter, a notch is cut from the top of the opening which would have to be repaired if the back panel ever came off. The doors are pretty expensive, so they do not plan to stock them, but Tern has been responsive, so they shouldn't add much time to a build.
IMG_4522.jpeg
Things like the L-track, solar pre-wire and the fan (though not the concealed wiring) can also be added at any time, as the structure for it part of every build. Other options need to be finalized when the build is starting and dimensions are sent to the forming shop. This used to happen when the request for final payment was made, but it was acknowledged that those two events became unrelated. Going forward, the aim is to finalize the build when the batch it is in is ordered from the CNC outfit, and I assume the final payment requested.
Regarding part changes/ omissions in order to get individual campers out the door, it is really dependent on the individual build and its' particular holdups. If the new email address actually gets answered, this would be the way to go if folks have builds in the shop waiting on parts.

So, this still looks like a going concern, just a very slow going one. I'm not checking social media, so I don't know what # was last delivered or when that was, but until we see differently, one camper per month looks like the output. Luckily, most of these are going on trucks that can last a long time...

The shop is full of camper bodies in from raw to all-but-doorless stages and there is a good deal of stock on the shelves waiting for the time it can get installed. Reorganizing the build and streamlining the options looks like a very real effort to reduce build-times and not the sort of effort a company would make if it couldn't keep the lights on.

I would love to hear from them rather than having to drive 2 counties over to talk ( which has always been pleasant, candid and pretty informative), let's hope they are investing in communication as much as the build process.

I am personally still trusting that Vagabond will get me the camper that was ordered almost 3 years ago, perhaps before the end of year 4, so I'm not calling my CC company or a lawyer, but it is hard to keep faith at times. Hope this was helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier