Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

Do you have any update? You seem to be one of the more in-the-loop users on here.
Not as of right now. Last update I saw was just a picture of my camper and still hearing there are lead time issues and some of the more optioned out units waiting for parts

denvertacoma

I think it’s time you all considered a Class Action Lawsuit, I hear there are several companies that are also hounding Vagabond/Phil for past due invoices, wouldn’t be difficult to get this going! Sounds like bankruptcy is inevitable, I would try to get my money back if possible! But that’s just me!

I suspect a class-action would mean some lawyers get a camper and the rest are lucky to have some L-track for their troubles...
Yup, class action isn't the way. I think most, if not all of us would rather have the camper than the money. I've paid more direct to Vagabond than what legal action against an LLC will pay out. I'm not sure if I'll see the money, but I would much rather have my camper (even uncompleted).

czukie

Still mind blowing that even lawsuits don’t light a fire under VO to get their stuff together and do what every other camper company is managing to do…provide custom campers in less than a year. Snap! and Topo both provide nearly every option that VO offers by now and both lead times are under a year lol

sn_85

Observer
I guess it makes a little more sense as to why Phil is selling his Tacoma now. Guess those lawyer fees are going to add up. Seems like this is going the way of Pelfreybilt.

sn_85

Observer
Still mind blowing that even lawsuits don’t light a fire under VO to get their stuff together and do what every other camper company is managing to do…provide custom campers in less than a year. Snap! and Topo both provide nearly every option that VO offers by now and both lead times are under a year lol

Both Snap! and Topo have a viable business model. VO is just a few dudes that sometimes build campers. Great product but seems like they had zero business sense. I remember when the wedge campers started to catch on both Snap! and VO were on the scene at the same time. Snap! definitely had less fanfare, didn't have the cult(ish) following, and didn't have the vibe of say a California company. Good to see them thrive and continue to produce campers. From what I understand Snap! started off as more of a passion product and a division of a larger manufacturing company. From that I think they already had the business model and manufacturing infrastructure in place to grow and withstand the pandemic. Topo came on during the pandemic and supply chain issues and have been doing really well for themselves while offering a competitively priced product.

Either way, the supply chain excuses don't hold much water for VO when we see two very good examples of companies that use similar suppliers finding a way to get it done. They use standard RV windows/doors, Artic Tern windows and Front Runner Gullwings like everyone else, it's not like they're using a totally different product. In many ways they had a leg up on everyone else because they had the brand appeal and a head start. If they haven't figured it out by now then I'm not sure they ever will. You only get X amount of time to establish your company before someone else builds a better product then you and I think that window has passed on VO. The only news I heard now is negative.

nopeoffroad

I'm not a lawyer or really know anything but I am curious about when/if Phil files for bankruptcy. What will happen to "your" campers. I doubt you have contracts saying you gave him a "loan" beyond an invoice? I'm guessing he has taken out loans from banks with contracts? When he defaults, do the banks get first claim to recover whatever they can? Does that mean the banks have first dib to "your" campers that are in production, and can auction them? Do you have a contract saying that it's even "your" camper being built? Lawyer folks of Expo how does this all work?

Bergger

Explorer
I'm not a lawyer but usually in bankruptcy secured creditors get paid first, aka the banks. Any loans he took from a bank were most likely secured by the assets of his company which probably include equipment, supplies etc. Not sure where a partially built camper would fall into that but I assume VO is still the owner of a partially built camper until it's finished and fully paid for by the customer. If he had no bank loans then I suppose the customers will have to get in line to see what they can get. Totally sucks and hopefully does not come to that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles