Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

czukie

Anyone replace their rear leaf springs (on a Tacoma) or AAL? If so, what company did you go with and how do you like them?

Coming from a truck with a FWC on it full time my previous suspension set up is a bit overkill for this setup.

Anyone replace their rear leaf springs (on a Tacoma) or AAL? If so, what company did you go with and how do you like them?

Coming from a truck with a FWC on it full time my previous suspension set up is a bit overkill for this setup.

running OME on my Taco, holding up well, but has developed a squeak that bugs me. Running the RSX on my Tundra, seems good, but not managing the weight I had expected. Thinking of Deaver for the ongoing build.

Last edited:

aequitas3

I'm a truck…

Yes, I have the Dobinsons 112 leaf springs on my double cab short bed:
Tacoma Single Cab / Double Cab SB - 2.1" 880-1210lb Constant Load"

I figure my "empty" weight:
* Bed Rug (full one with sides) - (~40lbs?)
* Dometic CFX 50 (~50lbs?)
* Full size matching spare (~65lbs minus stock spare weight ~= plus 30lbs?)
* Base drifter with lower insulation package and Hest mattress (~350lbs)
* Two FrontRunner Wolf packs with tire chains, spare oil, coolant, tools, winter emergency kit with stove, water, backpacking food, etc (~50-75lbs)

Plus RakAttach swing out + 1up 2-bike bike rack + 60lbs of bikes would be my next "empty" level.

Then add water, firewood, kitchen bin, food in fridge, sleeping bags, bike/climbing gear, etc…

The leafs are perfect for my use. I replaced new-ish OEM leaf springs with the Icon 3-leaf AAL INCLUDING overload leaf and ended up with about a 2" lift from there initially. I think it has settled down to about 1-1.5" more than the OEM+AAL+overload when the truck is "empty" as listed above. When FULLY loaded for a week long trip, I'm level and don't bottom out like before.

czukie

Yes, I have the Dobinsons 112 leaf springs on my double cab short bed:
Tacoma Single Cab / Double Cab SB - 2.1" 880-1210lb Constant Load"

The leafs are perfect for my use. I replaced new-ish OEM leaf springs with the Icon 3-leaf AAL INCLUDING overload leaf and ended up with about a 2" lift from there initially. I think it has settled down to about 1-1.5" more than the OEM+AAL+overload when the truck is "empty" as listed above. When FULLY loaded for a week long trip, I'm level and don't bottom out like before.

Do you have two different trucks/setups, one with dobinsons and one with Icon AAL or did I massively misunderstand something?

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
Do you have two different trucks/setups, one with dobinsons and one with Icon AAL or did I massively misunderstand something?
I should have been more clear. When I got the 2nd gen, it had stock leaves with the Icon 3-leaf AAL and the OEM overload spring. This was not enough with the drifter and a week full of gear and I was utilizing the bump stops way too much in Canyonlands.

I replaced those with the Dobinsons 112s, which gained me some more lift, but more importantly the ride is perfect and load capacity seems right. I am just up the road from you in Denver, so if you want to check them out or the ride, we can meet up.

OtterCO

How are people managing to contact VO successfully? I've tried emailing Phil and "operations" and scheduled a call via Calendy to figure out the status of my camper (#181) and receive an updated invoice, but no response so far.

dan8906

I had Deaver stage 1 when the camper went on and moved to the Deaver stage 3 pretty much right after. They are very nice and handle the weight great.

dan8906

How are people managing to contact VO successfully? I've tried emailing Phil and "operations" and scheduled a call via Calendy to figure out the status of my camper (#181) and receive an updated invoice, but no response so far.
Are you local? If so I’d suggest popping into the shop.

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
I had Deaver stage 1 when the camper went on and moved to the Deaver stage 3 pretty much right after. They are very nice and handle the weight great.
You finally got yours? Congrats! Let's see some photos!

Also, you've got a 1st gen Xtracab, so it may vary a little bit with the Deaver Stage 1 vs @czukie 's 2nd gen Access Cab. I'm not sure how the weight ratio front to rear and total weight changed between gens.

czukie

You finally got yours? Congrats! Let's see some photos!

Also, you've got a 1st gen Xtracab, so it may vary a little bit with the Deaver Stage 1 vs @czukie 's 2nd gen Access Cab. I'm not sure how the weight ratio front to rear and total weight changed between gens.
I actually now have a 3rd gen DCLB (thanks to a drunk driver) so Stage 3 might be the ticket!!

Last edited:
Hey y’all, as our wait continues I’m starting to think about our existing build and changes I need to make. Just had a baby earlier this month so I’m curious for those of y’all who have littles, what does your interior setup look like? We’d like to ideally have the kiddo sleep below and have our pup up top with us once we have the Drifter but I’m wondering what people do to have a safe contained sleep setup for a baby and eventually toddler with their Drifters!

aequitas3

I'm a truck…
Hey y’all, as our wait continues I’m starting to think about our existing build and changes I need to make. Just had a baby earlier this month so I’m curious for those of y’all who have littles, what does your interior setup look like? We’d like to ideally have the kiddo sleep below and have our pup up top with us once we have the Drifter but I’m wondering what people do to have a safe contained sleep setup for a baby and eventually toddler with their Drifters!
User MJonaGS32 on TW is a year or two ahead of you with a kid and Drifter… Check out these posts and utilize the search on TW for more content by them...

Another user (I forgot who), puts a pack and play at the front of the bed under the sleeping platform and the kid stays down in there all safe and tucked in.

McOFFROAD

Has anyone successfully got their money back after requesting cancellation? They removed that drop down from their site and of course radio silence for months of requesting cancellation and refund. Spot is up for grabs, DM if interested

VO-195

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles