Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

shade

There are freight companies that transport the campers. Should be pretty straight forward.
I'd go that route if I wasn't willing to drive for it, but the manufacturer would have to crate it, which wouldn't be cheap, either.

jmodz

I was seriously wanting to buy,but the deposit coupled with the long wait before delivery is a big negative. GFC,Alu-Cab are busy as well,I am kind of surprised another manufacturer has not joined the market for a pop up wedge camper.
This is exactly why I bought an AT Summit. While they do require 60% deposit, I am picking it up directly from them so the wait time they quoted me was 10 weeks. They just scheduled me for installation at the end of the month which would be exactly 10 weeks. I’ll see if it gets pushed back or not. I know the summit is more expensive than the drifter but 10 weeks vs almost 1 year of lead time is well worth it IMO.

shade

This is exactly why I bought an AT Summit. While they do require 60% deposit, I am picking it up directly from them so the wait time they quoted me was 10 weeks. They just scheduled me for installation at the end of the month which would be exactly 10 weeks. I’ll see if it gets pushed back or not. I know the summit is more expensive than the drifter but 10 weeks vs almost 1 year of lead time is well worth it IMO.
Perfectly understandable.

Not to knock any manufacturer, but companies like AT Overland or Alu-Cab have been around longer, with production processes and supply chains much better defined. Adding another product to your offerings isn't as hard as truly starting from scratch on every front. Even if someone is willing to dump significant funding into a startup manufacturing company, moving from a proven prototype to the creation of a smoothly functioning production facility, along with all of the backend support, is a huge undertaking. I have great respect for all of the company principals for meeting that challenge, and we're lucky to have so many options.

I've been happy with my GFC, but I can understand long lead times driving customers to higher priced, yet more accessible products. I also know that the folks running startups have to be very careful about their expansion and finances, or they'll flame out long before filling all of their orders, even if they have their hearts in the right place. Five years from now, I doubt all of these companies will still be around. Better to be the smart survivor that didn't over expand than working through the aftermath of a bankruptcy.

Reactions: plh

jmodz

Perfectly understandable.

Not to knock any manufacturer, but companies like AT Overland or Alu-Cab have been around longer, with production processes and supply chains much better defined. Adding another product to your offerings isn't as hard as truly starting from scratch on every front. Even if someone is willing to dump significant funding into a startup manufacturing company, moving from a proven prototype to the creation of a smoothly functioning production facility, along with all of the backend support, is a huge undertaking. I have great respect for all of the company principals for meeting that challenge, and we're lucky to have so many options.

I've been happy with my GFC, but I can understand long lead times driving customers to higher priced, yet more accessible products. I also know that the folks running startups have to be very careful about their expansion and finances, or they'll flame out long before filling all of their orders, even if they have their hearts in the right place. Five years from now, I doubt all of these companies will still be around. Better to be the smart survivor that didn't over expand than working through the aftermath of a bankruptcy.
You are exactly right. I am a production manager and it is incredible to see what Vagabond and GFC were able to put together in such a short amount of time. Plus the supply chain and logistics that goes into getting all the materials required, I’m sure is massive. I hope they can both weather the storm and eventually get lead times down. I’m sure if they do, it would make alu-cab and AT rethink their pricing structures to remain relevant.

Channing

I have been wanting to order too but can’t get a hold of them. Called, email, and even ig.... still nothing. I am very disappointed. I am in a wheelchair and just wanting some questions answers before putting down a large deposit. And making sure it will work with my abilities. I figure atleast they would have a customer service department or something to respond to questions.

jeepers29

I have been wanting to order too but can’t get a hold of them. Called, email, and even ig.... still nothing. I am very disappointed. I am in a wheelchair and just wanting some questions answers before putting down a large deposit. And making sure it will work with my abilities. I figure atleast they would have a customer service department or something to respond to questions.
I would look at this as a sign you should look elsewhere. If a company is not there to answer questions and take your money, what are the chances they will be there when you have a service need? I personally would never give a big deposit like that then pray for weeks that I get something in return. Good luck.

czukie

I would look at this as a sign you should look elsewhere. If a company is not there to answer questions and take your money, what are the chances they will be there when you have a service need? I personally would never give a big deposit like that then pray for weeks that I get something in return. Good luck.

Like many others have said, it is a SMALL company doing all of these campers. With that said, I agree and, in my experience, Phil has replied (typically longer than I would have liked) but Vagabond is very legit and reputable. Personally I did go with a snap treehouse and their communications have been amazing, typically respond within a few hours.

Pshin

Have a look at OVRLND Campers. They are a small company based out of Flagstaff, AZ and build a great product. Last I heard, they have 5 employees and IMO have done a great job in being cautious about growing too fast. They're not the flashy-instagram-focused-type, but just make a quality practical product and have great customer service. All of their campers are custom made to order. Different styles of doors (standard, half barn, full barn), side doors (flip up or flip down), etc.-- you get to pick all that. Price range is comparable to Vagabond, AT, and other similar products.

I am not sure what their wait time is currently, but their communication has always been awesome (both before and after my purchase). If you're not able to make it to Flagstaff for the install, they will work with you to deliver your camper. Jay (the owner) will personally drive out with your camper and install it.

This is based on my experience with them. I have had my OVRLND Camper for almost a year now and it's been great. If you're interested, you can check out my build thread (link in signature). Best of luck!

kerouac

Sadly, I have to agree and share my similar experience with Vagabond over the last two weeks. I have had zero response from Vagabond to my email (other than their auto reply confirming my message). I see they are quite active on IG so I sent them a direct message through that platform and again, no response. Both GFC and AT responded within 2 days. This is not to question the quality of their product (it looks fantastic, hence my interest) and I really hate to be one of those guys that complains online....but I do think one of the benefits of a forum such as this is to share common lived experiences so that others can make best informed decisions. I too am hesitant to give a company money when their customer response model is this delayed or, in my case, non existent.

Sadly, I have to agree and share my similar experience with Vagabond over the last two weeks. I have had zero response from Vagabond to my email (other than their auto reply confirming my message). I see they are quite active on IG so I sent them a direct message through that platform and again, no response. Both GFC and AT responded within 2 days. This is not to question the quality of their product (it looks fantastic, hence my interest) and I really hate to be one of those guys that complains online....but I do think one of the benefits of a forum such as this is to share common lived experiences so that others can make best informed decisions. I too am hesitant to give a company money when their customer response model is this delayed or, in my case, non existent.

Yep, I have a camper on order, and they don't respond to any form of communications. It's incredibly frustrating. I've resorted to just calling over and over and over until somebody picks up, that worked a few months ago, but it's pretty much impossible to get anything out of them. I run a small company as well that produces high end custom bikes, and while I'm not always the best with responding to emails right away I just about always answer the phone even though I'm booked out months in advance and I operate alone.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Good friend of mine...is coming up on 2 years since giving Vagabond 50% down for a Nomad. Communication has been difficult to none from what he has relayed to me. Original timeline to pick up was just under a year but its been "...we'll have it ready for you next month..." and months and months have gone by on all the empty promises. I get things happen (Covid) but still...

I was thinking about a Nomad for my LBZ...but with that kind of timeline and $6k down, little to no communication and 2X the original timeline promise makes it a tough sell. But apparently there are plenty of people out there with money and time to spare...

sn_85

Observer
FYI...Tacomaworld just shut down their Vagabond camper threads on their forum and they are no longer a affiliated vendor there. Seems like the ******tshow continues. TW was probably the biggest resource for Vagabond news and builds but it doesn't seem like they can stand to represent them anymore either.

surfjones

Yep unfortunately that was the only source of regular updates. Hopefully people continue to update the spreadsheet which is also linked on the FB group

FYI...Tacomaworld just shut down their Vagabond camper threads on their forum and they are no longer a affiliated vendor there. Seems like the ******tshow continues. TW was probably the biggest resource for Vagabond news and builds but it doesn't seem like they can stand to represent them anymore either.

Last edited:

llamalander

It's looking like it's still only one camper a month, on average, since lockdown started years ago--nothing out the door this year since March!
One should imagine that Phil is probably as communicative with his suppliers as he is with his clients (investors?), no surprise that he can't seem to see himself through the "supply chain" issues any other working company got a handle on a year or more ago. Here's the spreadsheet, hope it stays current too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles