V8-powered Jeep Wrangler crashes Ford Bronco's party

The perfect Jeep with a 392..Load capacity 24lbs but that doesn't matter since 2 Starbucks will keep the weight manageable. Add a set of pipes so everyone can hear you pulling out of the drive thru or dirt parking lot..

Joking guys I mean Jeep's can't handle the 3.6hp without snapping stuff constantly so throwing a big V8 in will be interesting..be fun playing in the sand..
lol, had a bunch of wranglers and never broke anything and I actually wheel my rigs.

Manuals still blow autos away for engine braking. They don't have to but since they won't let you manually lock the torque converter down to engine stall speed they are never going to be as good. I have driven cars with autos with stand alone trans management that let you lock the converter on demand and the engine braking is pretty much on par with a manual if the gearing in similar. I love driving in mountainous terrain and it's hilarious how much people in autos have to constantly crank on the brakes going down trails. Besides the pleasure and personal preference of a manual the engine braking is one real metric that autos are just not better at.

I am a solid axle guy at heart but there is nothing wrong with the Bronco IFS. It's packaged well, high travel, and reasonably beefy (the M210 anyways). Vehicle comes with 35's with the static height set perfectly in the middle of the travel range. There is very little reason to mess with this at all and no reason to ever put more than a small lift for maybe better aftermarket suspension. You are inventing excuses to avoid it at this point.
yeah the two door with 35s should be ok and awesome for those that dont want or know how to work on their vehicles. The 4 door with 35s is a different story though. Lifting IFS is more expensive and causes problems so the nod for those wanting to tweak their rigs to suit cheaply goes to SFA.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I don't think I'd lift it at all. It's already got decent clearance and shoes.

I'd get a Super Duty regular cab short bed, if I wanted to run 44's. The guys that lifted the Raptors, mostly ruined them.

billiebob

Jeep has to step it up somehow.
A V8 would be a step down. Sure it'll sell to a few of us, maybe even me if I can get it without any other options/packages but the world is beyond V8s.

If Jeep wants to light a fire they need to offer a pure electric, light weight, off road & city only 4x4 Wrangler. That I would buy for sure.

billiebob

Unless you are doing rock crawling on a daily basis, IFS is a better front end.
All I dislike about the Bronco is it is better engineered, tighter tolerances, modern components, packed into a compact package....... with zero chance of doing field repairs. Break any of the rack&pinion steering and you'll need a deck truck. Shocks are the lower spring mounts. CV joints and half shafts.... vs knuckles and u-joints. You can break anything on a Wrangler and be running in an hour.

The Bronco, lovely and impressive as it is is going to break down more often and need a major effort to rescue it. While I do love it, I just prefer bullet proof over higher performance.

D

Deleted member 9101

All I dislike about the Bronco is it is better engineered, tighter tolerances, modern components, packed into a compact package....... with zero chance of doing field repairs. Break any of the rack&pinion steering and you'll need a deck truck. Shocks are the lower spring mounts. CV joints and half shafts.... vs knuckles and u-joints. You can break anything on a Wrangler and be running in an hour.

The Bronco, lovely and impressive as it is is going to break down more often and need a major effort to rescue it. While I do love it, I just prefer bullet proof over higher performance.

Everything that you mentioned can be repaired in the field. It's no different than most of the 1/2 ton trucks from the last 20 years...lol.

Half shafts are simple to swap out, the suspension components come out easily, EPAS is pretty bulletproof and has a manual mode fail safe.

Also, just read its IFS it has 17% more wheel travel than a Wranglers archaic SFA....lol.

D

Deleted member 9101

Rock crawling or anywhere axle articulation matters. But again maybe ford found a better idea with a new IFS??

The IFS on the Bronco has 17% more wheel travel than then SFA on the Wrangler...lol.

billiebob

Also, just read its IFS it has 17% more wheel travel than a Wranglers archaic SFA....lol.
That is hype, the in depth interviews with the Bronco Engineers reveal that is not true. Fords best admit the Wrangler has better numbers all around on things like articulation, travel, approach, break over, departure. The Bronco is a cool very capable vehicle but it is competing more with Toyota regarding performance. The removable doors and top are what drop it into Wrangler territory.

Bronco and Toyota are definitely higher performing than a Wrangler, But not as tough, and more difficult to fix on the trail. I hope Jeep keeps those roots and does not try to copy the Bronco.

Wrangler is in a niche with no one else close. Bronco will steal a ton of Wrangler sales from the average Wrangler buyer but they won't make a dent in the hard core Wrangler world..... which is very much a niche market. Bronco, an incredibly cool vehicle will make a bigger dent in the Toyota and Chevy market.......
Especially if they offer a pickup/halfcab. Watch out Bison.

s-l1600 2.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

That is hype, the in depth interviews with the Bronco Engineers reveal that is not true. Fords best admit the Wrangler has better numbers all around on things like articulation, travel, approach, break over, departure. The Bronco is a cool very capable vehicle but it is competing more with Toyota regarding performance. The removable doors and top are what drop it into Wrangler territory.

Bronco and Toyota are definitely higher performing than a Wrangler, But not as tough, and more difficult to fix on the trail. I hope Jeep keeps those roots and does not try to copy the Bronco.

Wrangler is in a niche with no one else close. Bronco will steal a ton of Wrangler sales from the average Wrangler buyer but they won't make a dent in the hard core Wrangler world..... which is very much a niche market. Bronco, an incredibly cool vehicle will make a bigger dent in the Toyota and Chevy market.......
Especially if they offer a pickup/halfcab. Watch out Bison.

View attachment 599206

Not to nit pick at your reply...buuuut you've never worked on a Bronco. To me they appear no more difficult than a 1/2 ton truck to work on.

Also, Wranglers don't exactly carry a reputation for being reliable..lol. My sister had one for a year before it got lemon lawed. Her clapped out 3 series BMW was fsr more reliable than her Wrangler.

A close friend of mine is on engine #3 in his Rubicon, tranny #2, and both axles have been rebuilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier