V5MT1 5MT Transfer Case Options

ARDOR

My slow burning D4BF (4D56t) D50 project is finally progressing once again and hoping some of the gurus on here can offer some info on possible transfer cases...

I'm currently in the midst of rebuilding a V5MT1 (http://tcase.rsgear.com/articles/1997_06.pdf) out of a '97 Montero Sport, sourced the seemingly last rebuild kit in the US and will order fresh synchros shortly, and trying to address the input shaft discrepancy between the 6G72 vs D4BF (4D56t) (https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/seeking-help-with-dead-jdm-v5mt1-mystery.208734/).

This has lead me to start considering transfer case and Marks4WD gear options (https://www.marks4wd.com/products/low-range-overdrive-gears).

The '97 Montero Sport transfer case is an easy and viable option, but since I do a fair bit of high-ish speed (45-60 MPH) driving in icy/snowy conditions, I'm curious about the Super Select transfer cases out of manual '95-'96 Gen 2s.

11160036_1110931815599459_3342382750271329997_o.jpg

I've read their transfer cases are larger, capable of 3.15 gears, and comparable to the those out of 3.5 Gen 2s.

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 10.10.56 AM.png

I'm aware of the NP321 swap (http://www.4x4extremesports.com/transfercase_conversion.php), but it's far more work and trouble than I'm willing to take on and overkill for objectives.

Recognizing that '95-'96 Gen 2 manuals aren't all that common, is there any reason to believe their transfer case won't mate to my V5MT1, out of a '97 Montero Sport? It would be cheaper/easier to track down and ship just the transfer case from a manual Gen 2, rather than a complete Gen 2 V5MT1/transfer case unit.

Would the Super Select, which is essentially a center diff viscous coupler, have any compatibility issues with manual hubs and a CAD free front Montero Sport diff? (http://tcase.rsgear.com/articles/1997_11.pdf)

Am I correct in presuming the Gen 2 manual and auto transfer cases don't cross pollinate?

Does the Super Select feature necessitate any computer or special wiring?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all info.

Last edited:

evomaki

Observer
I wish you luck getting answers to your questions. Only a handful of people on this message board might have an idea. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I do have one possibly lame suggestion for one of your questions. Is the transmission the same part number from '95-'96 gen 2 and your Montero Sport? That's not so hard to check on one of the online Mitsu parts seller's websites. Maybe that could tell you something. Have you checked out the Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Forum? That's a good source. I'll look over there from time to time.

spacecowboy7777

Where are you located? I’ve got a 1995 3.0 24 valve with a 5 speed and super select. I’m keeping my transfer case, but might be able to help you determine if it will fit. I’m in San Diego

ARDOR

More research has enabled me to, I think, be able to answer several of my own questions, but please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, you suspect an alternative, or have more direct knowledge...

Recognizing that '95-'96 Gen 2 manuals aren't all that common, is there any reason to believe their transfer case won't mate to my V5MT1, out of a '97 Montero Sport?

This seems to be highly likely as the V5MT1 output shafts all appear to be either the same, or vary similar.

Would the Super Select, which is essentially a center diff viscous coupler, have any compatibility issues with manual hubs and a CAD free front Montero Sport diff? (http://tcase.rsgear.com/articles/1997_11.pdf)

I don't think the CAD free front diff and manual hubs will have any negative impact on the Super Select functionality aside from ensuring the manual hubs are locked when not in 2H.

Am I correct in presuming the Gen 2 manual and auto transfer cases don't cross pollinate?

They don't seem to be cross compatible due to a difference in the 5MT shift rail protruding into the transfer case as well as the fact that the postions of the transmission and transfer case shifters are inverted between the two.

Does the Super Select feature necessitate any computer or special wiring?

It seems the only issues would possibly be signals to light up the various transfer case lever positions oo the dash, something easily lived with or overcome.

Evo - Thanks, both the Gen 2 and MS (every USM 5MT 4x4 Mitsubishi w/V6) have a V5MT1 transmission, but there were changes/improvements made over the years and the transfer cases can vary a fair bit from part time 4WD in MM/D50/Gen 1/MS to Super Select (Active-Trac) in Gen 2.

I'm acquainted w/several of the Australian and a few British forums, and while much of the info is helpful in broad and general strokes, it can be difficult to parse the small differences between the seemingly same vehicle sold on alternate continents; LHD vs RHD, alternative trim levels, drivetrains, generations, etc...

Hopefully w/Spacecowboy's assistance, I'll have a '95 3.0/24v 5MT Gen 2 VIN # to aid in more detailed part number comparisons. Far too many of the junk yard search engines and eBay/part sellers list incompatible transfer cases for all year Gen 2s.

PLH - I've seen several oblique references on various forums to the fact that the '95-'96 3.0/24v Gen 2 w/5MT, although rare, had more robust transfer cases, comparable to those found in SRs. If I strike out I'll likely go with a '92-'94' 5MT Super Select transfer case, but figure since I'm not in a rush, and hope to invest in both a full rebuilt as well as 3.15 gears, it would be worth the effort to track down the sturdiest transfer case possible. I've a few leads I hope to follow up on, but it seems fitment of the 3.15 gears in a 5MT will require some substantial modifications, so I'm eager to start with the strongest unit possible:

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 7.09.49 PM.png

Spacecowboy - Thanks for the offer, I'm in Bellingham, WA, essentially the San Diego of the west coast's northern border w/Canada.

Can you tell me if there are any part #s on the transfer case?

Do you have the VIN # of the vehicle? It would be immensely helpful to plug into the various part sites online to cross reference and determine compatibility.

Any pics would also be appreciated.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Would the Super Select, which is essentially a center diff viscous coupler, have any compatibility issues with manual hubs and a CAD free front Montero Sport diff?

PLH - I've seen several oblique references on various forums to the fact that the '95-'96 3.0/24v Gen 2 w/5MT, although rare, had more robust transfer cases, comparable to those found in SRs. If I strike out I'll likely go with a '92-'94' 5MT Super Select transfer case, but figure since I'm not in a rush, and hope to invest in both a full rebuilt as well as 3.15 gears, it would be worth the effort to track down the sturdiest transfer case possible. I've a few leads I hope to follow up on, but it seems fitment of the 3.15 gears in a 5MT will require some substantial modifications, so I'm eager to start with the strongest unit possible:

They are fully compatible with the CAD free MS front diff. I ran one in my '92 for a while, with manual locking hubs, 4.90 gears and a Starion LSD. Dash indicator lights don't light up for the front wheels locked in the Montero, but your D50 doesn't have those anyways I assume.

I think they are all KM120 cases. No difference between SR to non SR. Auto and Manual T-cases will not direct swap.

Last edited:

spacecowboy7777

Really interesting research, keep it up! This sort of build is probably not ever in my future but it's fun learning about these rigs. Really weird/annoying/surprising how many differences there really are between trims within the same model and year. I would think it would have been cheaper for Mitsubishi to just have one transfer case between manual and auto and one set of CV axles and one rear axle...

Anyways, my 1995 5 speed VIN: ja4mr41h6sj011434

I'll crawl under and look for other numbers some time this week.

Last edited:

ARDOR

Thanks for all the help!

I'm please to report I was able to track down and pull a V5MT1 w/Super Select transfer case from a '95 Gen 2 a few hours from my house this weekend. The truck was pretty well stripped and the owner bought it non running for parts, so I won't know the condition of the internals until they're opened up, but am pleased to have found it.

Now begins the long process of tearing it all down, cleaning and inspecting everything, sourcing and ordering synchros and any other parts needed, buying the 3.15 gears and modifying the transfer case for their fitment, and a slow and full rebuild.

Ultimately, I think the AWD option afforded by the Super Select will be more than worth the effort for winter driving on variably wet and snowy conditions on two lane hiways.

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier