UTV's as an overlanding vehicle?

zelseman

Observer
They are fun, but that’s where it stops for me. I could see towing one behind an RV for fun, but not for any type of overlanding expedition longer than a few days. They simply don’t have the payload. They are great off-road toys though.

adventr

Adventurer
Way more payload than my back and I've done plenty of overlanding with just that.

Agreed. Mine literally has more payload capacity (1,500lbs) than a 2019 Tacoma. And is rated to tow more than a 2dr Wrangler (2500lb).

If you need more than that, there are new 6x6 models out there.

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I think they have way more payload than a motorcycle. And motorbikes do just fine "overlanding". It's the legality of the things that might be problem. Safety too, but compared to a motorcycle, they're probably quite a bit safer than a loaded two-wheeler.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
From Arkansas. Mine is pretty comfy on the road though, so not exactly a big challenge. Sealed cab, heat, air conditioning, heated seats, nav, front/rear cameras, remote start, bi-xenon retrofit headlights, wiper/washer, duraclutch setup, beefed up suspension/steering...etc.

Couple pics and a design pic attached that I'm working toward.
That thing is **************.

Tokarev

This one seems like it might do the job.

View attachment 480329

If there was just a way to make it street legal...

View attachment 480330
There are ways to do it depending on location.

Some states allow use on public roads with a few additions like mirrors. Some other states allow them but with restrictions on top speed. Others do not allow UTVs on the pavement under any circumstances.

Again depending on state it is possible to re-title the Roxor as a kit or reproduction vehicle. Michigan for example allows these to be titled as a street rod after a few modifications are made. Once so titled the vehicle is assigned a new VIN and an automobile title.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

adventr

Adventurer
Quick vid I made yesterday that shows how it cruises on the highway. At the 1:30 mark I take it up to around 72mph. It's probably got close to 80mph in it, but no need in running that fast.
This is with my new 33x10.50R15 KM3s that are very smooth. The worst one only took 1oz of weight to balance. I really wish they made a 35x10.50 KM3 or equivalent though. These 33s are a bit small to me.

Easy Ian

I've done Overland trips in my FJ, my 4Runner, my Husqvarna 501S. This last summer, I ran the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route on my Yamaha YXZ 1000R. A sport UTV. It couldn't have been more fun. It will out wheel my Toyota's, holds more kit than my 501S, and flat out flies. Just brings a totally different dimension to off-roading. I would recommend if you're considering it, try it. I had a great time. Now I'm in the process of building a Can-Am X3 RC Turbo R (that's a mouthful), which is the ultimate performance machine in the UTV market. I'm working with some awesome companies to build it into a mountain tackling, adventure riding monster. It's so fun. Here's me in Winchester Bay, Oregon prior to it going under the knife for a proper cage.

Attachments

• Snapseed 3.JPG
    Snapseed 3.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 27

billiebob

I know they aren't street legal in all states, but how long will that be the case?
I think you have it backwards.
I know they are almost street legal in some municipalities, how long before that ends.
Most states are starting to quit licensing kit cars, ie dune buggies
Some states are refusing to register military vehicles for anything but parade use.
So SideBySides etc, until they meet safety to the point of a motorcycle. Until they meet the same CAFE, EPA ratings as everyone else. Not a chance. Every year the restrictions on ATVs etc increase. And I doubt any manufacturer can commit to the level of research and development necessary to meet the same requirements Ford, Chevy. Jeep must. I guarantee none of the auto manufacturers want to see the ATV, SxS makers get a buy.

billiebob

That said, ^^^^ the electric vehicle industry is exploding. The choices for an electric bicycle thru electric dirt bike are exponential. And the cross between a handicapped electric wheel chair and a full on single seater electric car, exponential growth opportunities. So far the only limit is limiting the speed to 20? mph in Canada. But the potential for electric transportation is unlimited. It gets an instant pass on the EPA and CAFE.

billiebob

The UTVs with heat and Air would make sense. Especially for folks who have utility uses for them at home. I get the toy Side by side thing cheaper than a jeep “sort of” smaller so easier on tight trails. But they seem like giant expensive toys rather than a useful utility vehicle.
I disagree. Especially from the utility point. In the winter, dress appropriately. I worked the winter road, ice roads in the NWT. Heated cabs were a necessity at 40below when you are there days at a time but if you are in and out of the cab, ie a rancher, heat is an enemy. dress right. Air?? shade and electrolyte hydration, far more important than AC. Having been there, AC is a major handicap when working in the desert.

I agree, ATVs etc are expensive toys like snowmobiles and jetskis. Toys, never practical transportation. If you think you want to overland an ATV, SxS, check out their average lifespan..... in terms of how many MILES do they actually last?? They die way too quick. I've had a few but I could never commit the money needed to keep them running.

Last edited:

ROUGHCOMPANY

Hey Guys new here, because of this thread.

I am currently building a RZR 1K XP4 into an Overlanding rig.
Will it have it's limitations? Sure will.
Will I be able to drive it from the Arctic Circle to Chile? Nope.
But I will be able to drive it (since it's street legal) all across the U.S. on the TAT.
I am taking it this May to the Mississippi river and riding it back to Central Oklahoma as kind of a 'shake-down' run.
Eventually, in '23, I will drive it from the Atlantic to the Pacific along the TAT.
This has been done MANY times by a lot of folks before me on SXS.
BTW, my RZR is 5 years old, was a mud-buggy before I got it.

I will probably put more miles on this year and next than most will in their much-more-expensive Overlanding rigs over their entire ownership.

There are a lot of folks doing what I am doing, with teardrop trailers, expedition type trailers, etc.
I am doing it with basically car-camping supplies, not even a rooftop tent! *GASP*

Please feel free to ask any questions you have, keep your criticisms to yourself (because you'd be wasting your time) and lets all get out there and have fun exploring!

TW

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Just don't plan to go to some areas or maybe not at all within some National Parks, State Parks or other areas with ATV/SBS restrictions.

It may be licensed for the street however these types of vehicles have restrictions becoming more and more prevalent with parks and recreation areas particularly out West.

billiebob

Hey Guys new here, because of this thread.

I am currently building a RZR 1K XP4 into an Overlanding rig.
Will it have it's limitations? Sure will.
Will I be able to drive it from the Arctic Circle to Chile? Nope.
But I will be able to drive it (since it's street legal) all across the U.S. on the TAT.
I am taking it this May to the Mississippi river and riding it back to Central Oklahoma as kind of a 'shake-down' run.
Eventually, in '23, I will drive it from the Atlantic to the Pacific along the TAT.
This has been done MANY times by a lot of folks before me on SXS.
BTW, my RZR is 5 years old, was a mud-buggy before I got it.

I will probably put more miles on this year and next than most will in their much-more-expensive Overlanding rigs over their entire ownership.

There are a lot of folks doing what I am doing, with teardrop trailers, expedition type trailers, etc.
I am doing it with basically car-camping supplies, not even a rooftop tent! *GASP*

Please feel free to ask any questions you have, keep your criticisms to yourself (because you'd be wasting your time) and lets all get out there and have fun exploring!

TW
Love this, hope the route stays legal for the whole trip.
On the Alaska to Chile, why not....
Inspiration to read.

This might have been street legal in 1956 but likely not today.
13026.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior