Airmapper

Inactive Member
Well I found a photo of one with a RTT on it:
side_by_side_tent_camping.JPG

And one with a snorkel:
883-262L.jpg

And one with a tiny little trailer:
tent15.jpg

So I guess it meets the minimum requirements for official "Overland" stereotypical definitions, sure. Why not.

That said I think UTV's are overrated. It's like a fat 4wheeler you can't make road legal (here in KY anyway, not that it stops anyone...)

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Well I found a photo of one with a RTT on it:
side_by_side_tent_camping.JPG

And one with a snorkel:
883-262L.jpg

And one with a tiny little trailer:
tent15.jpg

So I guess it meets the minimum requirements for official "Overland" stereotypical definitions, sure. Why not.

That said I think UTV's are overrated. It's like a fat 4wheeler you can't make road legal (here in KY anyway, not that it stops anyone...)

here in MI they can be road legal pretty easily, I think all it takes is the package with a windshield, headlights and taillight/ indicators from the dealer, and they're impressive, I had one pulling away from me doing 60 down a 2 lane "highway" and a guy by my parents drives his to lowes for work everyday in the summer- that said I still have no desire for one, and everyone I personally knew with one sold it after a few years

perterra

Adventurer
here in MI they can be road legal pretty easily, I think all it takes is the package with a windshield, headlights and taillight/ indicators from the dealer, and they're impressive, I had one pulling away from me doing 60 down a 2 lane "highway" and a guy by my parents drives his to lowes for work everyday in the summer- that said I still have no desire for one, and everyone I personally knew with one sold it after a few years

Not legal in Texas, cant even run down the beach on them

ExplorerTom

Explorer
UTVs are basically motorcycles for people with bad balance and the desire to take more with them than they should.

That and not being road legal (in most places) makes them toys and little else.

p nut

butter
I don't have one, but family and friends do. They would be great where I live. TONS of forest roads to explore. Much more capable than your average "overlander" truck. Faster through obstacles, faster traversing over rough roads, etc. I've got plenty of seat time in RZR's and other UTV's. What a hoot to drive. If I had the space, I would definitely get one.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Says the guy driving a 2 ton SUV with 10 times the cargo space.

The small one with all the steel bumpers actually checks in at 2.5 tons. The bigger one rolling stock is a shade over 2.5 tons. But either will do 80 mph all day long from coast to coast, drive through pouring rain, scorching heat or freezing cold. They can climb mountains without needing a trailer to go to the next mountain.

They do all that AND can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood home from the hardware store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles