Utilize spare tire location

ilboarder12

Plan to move the spare tire from under the bed to the roof on my 08 chevy 2500. While doing some rainy day pondering, i started to wonder if there are any plans/products to utilize the space for storage?

robert

Expedition Leader
I was going to say cut the bracket off and put an extra fuel tank or a water tank in. It's also a popular place to put an air tank if you have an on-board air system and I've even seen a second battery mounted up there.

D

Deleted member 9101

You can mount a compressor and an air tank, or a fuel tank. You can also mount a rear facing winch. If you are clever you csn easily fit two of the three things that I mentioned.

mantree91

i have my air tank back there. currently working on a skid palate to protect it after my last tank met a unfortunate demise from a well placed rock off road.

Rando

Explorer
I had a water tank and propane tank in that spot on my poptop landcruiser, but it was a custom install and I had no other choice.

My other question would be why? A spare tire on the roof is not a great idea, extra weight up high all the time, inconvenient to actually use and a tonne of UV exposure. Why not leave the spare where it is and use the roof rack for something more suitable?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I had a water tank and propane tank in that spot on my poptop landcruiser, but it was a custom install and I had no other choice.

My other question would be why? A spare tire on the roof is not a great idea, extra weight up high all the time, inconvenient to actually use and a tonne of UV exposure. Why not leave the spare where it is and use the roof rack for something more suitable?
Agreed. I could see if it’s too big to fit the stock location. But would look at a rear bumper carrier with a swing out.

loudboy

Observer
I keep my spare tire there. Perfect fit, even has a winch to lower it down.

Snark aside, I had to modify the brackets a bit to hold the bigger tire. It might be the best option for you, too. The spare tire on the roof looks OAF, but it's a lot of weight up high, the rubber gets rotted by the sun, its a pain to get down and a pain to get the busted one back up there after the swap. Most anything you could store in the spare tire location would be better suited on the roof instead.

mantree91

I had mine on the roof. It tanked my mialage on the highway. I built a tire carier bumper to get it off the roof. As for UV exposure I just put a cover on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It looks really expo, just like the jagged tooth shovels quick fisted to the roof rack, but it would be a last resort or maybe a temporary second spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles