Utility trailer teardrop/ off roadish camper build

jgaz

Adventurer
The interior height is around 44.5in.

Alabama Overland
www.alabamaoverland.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From this dimension it would appear you used the 48" plywood panel width for the exterior height of the side walls,correct?
The wall to roof panel is a butt joint? Glued and screwed?

I see you decided not to use the cot and go with a full mattress instead.

Really nice job. Simple and elegant. I've been looking at the exact same trailer and your build gives me ideas. Thanks!

jonesw3

Adventurer
From this dimension it would appear you used the 48" plywood panel width for the exterior height of the side walls,correct?
The wall to roof panel is a butt joint? Glued and screwed?

I see you decided not to use the cot and go with a full mattress instead.

Really nice job. Simple and elegant. I've been looking at the exact same trailer and your build gives me ideas. Thanks!

Yes, the sides are standard 48in plywood. I also have 2x4 joist across the top connecting the sides. The top is glued and screwed down. I have hauled it around 250 miles so far and it's holding up just fine.

Alabama Overland
www.alabamaoverland.net

QuoddyL

Very cool well executed project! I have a lighter weight 5'x8' utility trailer I have been planning to build a removable camper on. I'd like to have a rear tear drop style galley, with the lifting hatch that acts as a roof while cooking, but if I keep it 48' high, I'd have to remove the ramp gate. I had thought of making it 5' and using the gate as a deck. I think the 48" hight makes more sense for my tow vehicle, a Civic Si....Love what you did! Thanks for documenting it so well + sharing it!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Love the 'TearBox' you've built! Is the box removable from the trailer or permanently mounted?

SamM

Adventurer
Very nice, jonesw3!

I've been hesitant to use plywood in my trailer build but I think you did this beautifully. With the new coatings on the market this looks very doable. My trailer is aluminum and I already have more than enough 1/2" plywood to do the job.

Thanks for posting your build!

SamM

jonesw3

Adventurer
Very nice, jonesw3!

I've been hesitant to use plywood in my trailer build but I think you did this beautifully. With the new coatings on the market this looks very doable. My trailer is aluminum and I already have more than enough 1/2" plywood to do the job.

Thanks for posting your build!

SamM

Thanks Sam! I'm glad I can help motivate you and your build. Let me know if you have any questions once you get started.

Alabama Overland
www.alabamaoverland.net

jonesw3

Adventurer
I took the trailer to Overland Expo east. This was the longest trip to date. It did great!!! No leaks at all and I was very thankful to have hard walls once the wind came in in Saturday.
4053ee868fad1087ade3df4ae25fc3c9.jpg

jonesw3

Adventurer
I posted my camper in the for sale section. Pm me if you are interested in buying it

rsrozewicz

I have read all the pages of this post...great job....
Did you put any slides / skids on the bottom to pull the camper box off??

jonesw3

Adventurer
I have read all the pages of this post...great job....
Did you put any slides / skids on the bottom to pull the camper box off??

Yes, I used 2x4s on the bottom for skids to make loading and unloading it on the trailer a lot easier.

rsrozewicz

I am building my camper pod now.
By chance do you have any pics or details from the wiring?
Again great job on this ...simple is better approach...
I have a Coleman 6 sided canopy that I typically back the rear sectio of my FJ in and truck camped.
I did a mock up with cardboard, the canopy and the ramp from the trailer....
Will share pics when complete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles