Utility trailer camping pod?

MicahB

Observer
I'm in the process of figuring out a road to head down with regard to a camping trailer for myself, wife, 3 month old son and 2 dogs.

Initially we were thinking a simple popup then got bit by the adventure trailer bug. We visited an adventure trailer manufacturer here in Salt Lake called Borderland Trailers and while their trailers are top notch, with all the bells and whistles the cost for something of that type is higher than we're willing to spend for something that specialized.

Looking at the build threads here and elsewhere it seems like adventure trailers are basically a box with various bells and whistles bolted down inside and out.

And that got me wondering - does anyone know of a manufacturer of a "box" where you can supply your own trailer? I found plenty of builds where people converted box trailers to full blown campers or used a utility trailer as the base for their own adventure trailer build but no drop in solutions regardless of how simple or complex.

Part of the thinking is that we would have a solution to the camping question but could also remove the box/pod to use the utility trailer to move stuff. Think a more sophisticated/developed version of the Jumping Jack trailer.

Has anyone heard of or know of anything like that? I can certainly build something from scratch but if I could at least buy a quality box for a couple thousand dollars I'd be well ahead of the game.

Thanks!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
yep there are many diffrent folks that have done pods or even just a slide in camper on a landscape trailer..

also converting cargo trailers to campers...

my cargo has solar and an inverter along with interior lighting and a window...but I use it primarily for my renovation buisness so I havent built it out as others have done...
http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

ratled

Adventurer
You may want to look at Runaway campers (their Range Runner). http://runawaycampers.com/models-prices I was looking hard at the Runaway camper - a simple boxish camper on a trailer. Sparse yes but a solid and affordable option . It's a little too small for for what I want but might work for you.
The Range Runner is 6' x 8' x 4"ish

ratled
RR.jpg
bunk.jpg

Weeds

Adventurer
There is a company in Libby, Montana, that makes a pod for pickups, trailers. The prices seem reasonable. They advertise on craigslist.

ert01

Adventurer
Kamparoo's are also a cheapish option. Especially since they're made in Canada... with your high US dollar you should really get a lot for your $...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
DIY something like this maybe?

Landscape2_zps14f8a470.jpg

Or this?

Landscape3_zpsc7884c94.jpg

MicahB

Observer
Thanks all for the links, pictures and ideas.

Jscherb really nailed what I was looking for. Not just a camper on a utility trailer but one that is removable as well.

I hadn't thought of doing a slide in truck camper either. I'll definitely be looking into that as an option as well.

It surprises me that there isn't a bigger market for this. Seems like utility trailers are a dime a dozen. Creating a camping box that could slide on and off depending on how you want to use the trailer should be fairly straightforward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
It surprises me that there isn't a bigger market for this. Seems like utility trailers are a dime a dozen. Creating a camping box that could slide on and off depending on how you want to use the trailer should be fairly straightforward.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Working on it.. Mine is removable from my flat bed fuso. Will be working on some other prototypes in the spring..
Kevin

jscherb

Expedition Leader

screwball48

Explorer
I found this on eBay the other day. Made me think of this thread. I listed the information and link in the for sale section here. ( usual disclaimers: not mine do not know seller, just trying to pass along cool stuff)

52df2a3e7ea7e9510e36e0b280f7b849.jpg

bd0efcc9c9d6ac01ddc48865fd324247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsrozewicz

The landscape trailer option is the one I want.
In your posts there was mention that a kit might be considered.
If it is available who and where do I go???

rudee13

I don't think that kit ever made it to production. Many have lusted over the possibilities of such A product.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I'm in the process of figuring out a road to head down with regard to a camping trailer for myself, wife, 3 month old son and 2 dogs.

Initially we were thinking a simple popup then got bit by the adventure trailer bug. We visited an adventure trailer manufacturer here in Salt Lake called Borderland Trailers and while their trailers are top notch, with all the bells and whistles the cost for something of that type is higher than we're willing to spend for something that specialized.

Looking at the build threads here and elsewhere it seems like adventure trailers are basically a box with various bells and whistles bolted down inside and out.

And that got me wondering - does anyone know of a manufacturer of a "box" where you can supply your own trailer? I found plenty of builds where people converted box trailers to full blown campers or used a utility trailer as the base for their own adventure trailer build but no drop in solutions regardless of how simple or complex.

Part of the thinking is that we would have a solution to the camping question but could also remove the box/pod to use the utility trailer to move stuff. Think a more sophisticated/developed version of the Jumping Jack trailer.

Has anyone heard of or know of anything like that? I can certainly build something from scratch but if I could at least buy a quality box for a couple thousand dollars I'd be well ahead of the game.

Thanks!

There's a home built one for sale at the moment for what I think is a pretty good deal...
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/168449-Utility-teardrop-for-sale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles