Utility trailer camping pod?

billiebob

utility trailers are light duty and make ************ offroading trailers. Their leaf springs are short and not supple and they're meant to carry weight from home depot to your home, not get beat on washboards
THIS is so correct. Once I get power and refrigeration figured out..... new, longer springs will be the next project.
I've heard YJ leafs are ideal...... way longer and softer riding and cheap.

Greedyg76

Semper Fi
Bringing this one back from the grave. I've been working on a "camping pod" style build for a couple months and should have a working concept to show in a few weeks. It's based on a 5x8 Carson 3500# trailer, while not ideal for serious off-road exploring, it's what I had in the yard. I'll post up when I finish the system that will allow for easy pod removal and leave me with a functional utility trailer (which I use frequently.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm in the process of figuring out a road to head down with regard to a camping trailer for myself, wife, 3 month old son and 2 dogs.

Initially we were thinking a simple popup then got bit by the adventure trailer bug. We visited an adventure trailer manufacturer here in Salt Lake called Borderland Trailers and while their trailers are top notch, with all the bells and whistles the cost for something of that type is higher than we're willing to spend for something that specialized.

Looking at the build threads here and elsewhere it seems like adventure trailers are basically a box with various bells and whistles bolted down inside and out.

And that got me wondering - does anyone know of a manufacturer of a "box" where you can supply your own trailer? I found plenty of builds where people converted box trailers to full blown campers or used a utility trailer as the base for their own adventure trailer build but no drop in solutions regardless of how simple or complex.

Part of the thinking is that we would have a solution to the camping question but could also remove the box/pod to use the utility trailer to move stuff. Think a more sophisticated/developed version of the Jumping Jack trailer.

Has anyone heard of or know of anything like that? I can certainly build something from scratch but if I could at least buy a quality box for a couple thousand dollars I'd be well ahead of the game.

Thanks!
There is a company that makes a 4x6 thats 2000lb rated that has a heavy tent like a jumping jack, but you roll it forward out of the way and are left with the trailer floor open for gear.

I have the original Life Time tent trailer which is a mini Jumping Jack basically only two Queen beds vs singles. I think these linked trailers are built by the same shop. The tent and material used are identical to my 11yr old tent that looks new.

jmmaxus

You could drop a slide in truck camper on a trailer. Also jumping jack trailers makes a camping pod you could drop on a trailer but it would basically end up being a trailer they already sell. I’ve also seen service body type truck campers or fiberglass service truck bodies on trailers. Aluminum drop in canopies and are another option although they are more popular in Australia, I think I’ve seen a few U.S. companies that sell them. Highway products makes custom boxes for trucks and you could do a custom job to drop on a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITTOG

There is a company that makes a 4x6 thats 2000lb rated that has a heavy tent like a jumping jack, but you roll it forward out of the way and are left with the trailer floor open for gear.

I have the original Life Time tent trailer which is a mini Jumping Jack basically only two Queen beds vs singles. I think these linked trailers are built by the same shop. The tent and material used are identical to my 11yr old tent that looks new.

That thing is really cheap. Great entry setup.

Greedyg76

Semper Fi
Bringing this into the new year. Do you have a build thread anywhere on this?
Somehow I missed this? As I mentioned, I hardly could make time to build let alone document the process but I took quite a bit of pictures. So maybe I'll start a thread and post up all my pictures in case anyone can get some inspiration.

Here's a quick one from our last outing. My sons sleep down below and daughters up top in the penthouse.

Joshua Tree.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne