Utility Trailer Axle

hikingff77

Adventurer
My (found in the weeds) utility trailer works great, but that's for local trips only.

I'm nervous about it's axle, the rims are tight but the wheels wobble down the road a little.

I'd like to replace it. Should I go to Tractor Supply or is there an axle that anyone here recommends for such an undertaking.

The trailer is a 4' x 8'.

greentruck

Adventurer
Dexter will build you the axle that fits and meets your need in term of brakes, hubs, etc. There are multiple vendors who offer Dexter. Price should be under $500 or considerably less if brakes are not needed.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If the hubs are wobbling, then you probably just need to service them and snug them up a bit.

Although it is 100% normal to have some play (when cold) on dexter hubs, regardless of size.

anickode

Adventurer
When you see wobbling wheels, I assume it's in the rear view mirror while towing it? I would get it up on a Jack and spin them. Try to see if the tires are bulgy, wheels are bent, or the bearings chuck. Any of those things is a cheap and quick fix.

Wheel wobble comes from a spinning part, not the axle. Wheels usually bend before hubs.

hikingff77

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies. I'm sure it's the whole wheel assembly. You can push on the wheel/tire and it can be pushed in and out about 1/2" or so.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If you can physically move it by hand, its not the wheel/tire.

As I said, hubs need servicing. At the most they need bearings.

All of which are easier and cheaper than a new axle.

quickfarms

Adventurer
It probably just bad bearings. Since you found it in the woods who knows when the last time they were serviced. It is possible that the bearings are bad enough to wear a hub but that will be evident when you take it apart

Lucky j

Explorer
It will probably cost you about 15,00$ to 25,00$ per side. And if you plan for long distance trip, I would suggest to carry and extra kit, or even a complete hub with bearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz