Utility Shell Pop Up Build

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Started building the roof today. Just worked on the framework. There will be at least two more cross members and then the whole business will be skinned in 1/8 inch mahogany ply. The crossmembers are not as sturdy as I hoped so they will be reinforced. Also got the camper on the cart I build.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386988006.481347.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386988053.941651.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386988117.336884.jpg

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
The crossmembers are not as sturdy as I hoped so they will be reinforced.

View attachment 201405

If you are talking about the one in the photo I'm sure with it just attached at that little cross member / side interface it feels awfully "wobbly" (pardon the technical terminology!). Once you affix the roof it will become one monolithic unit and should firm right up. If you wanted to REALLY firm it up a web right down the center (same height as the cross member) going front to back would give you reinforcement in two directions and stiffen the heck out of it once the roof is attached.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Jr,
I think you are right. My concerns are how much flex I had from vertical load. I would like to put racks on it eventually for surfboards and would like it to support rain weight. I think after it is skinned it will rigid up some more and then after I fiberglass at a minimum the critical points/joints I think I will be good.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Jr,
I think you are right. My concerns are how much flex I had from vertical load. I would like to put racks on it eventually for surfboards and would like it to support rain weight. I think after it is skinned it will rigid up some more and then after I fiberglass at a minimum the critical points/joints I think I will be good.

Well the Romans were onto something with that new fangled "Arch" thingy. Is it too late to replace that long, straight piece (and the front and rear "bulkheads") with pieces with some arch to them? I'd leave the bottom straight and put a slight curve (maybe 1.5 - 2.0 times the current height in the center). That would give you a larger section in the middle (stiffening things up) AND give a nice water shedding curve.

What are you going to skin the roof with (you probably mentioned that somewhere but I'm this far along and didn't look back). You also may want to make the angled portions of the cross braces run down the inside of the wood roof "frame" providing a MUCH larger glue joint area and much greater area for glass reinforcement. Right now with it just perched up top it looks a little "thin" to me.

These types of design decisions are (to me) the fun of doing these things oneself. Great job so far!

hoptroll

Pool Boy
The reason I went with the design that you see is partly due to a lack of planning and also due to the FWC fabric that I am using and how I plan on attaching it. Hard for me to explain how I plan on attaching the fabric but it wont get pinched like the fwc ones do now and I will have that aluminum angle to keep water from coming in as well. The lack of planning was building the cab over section too thin and not having the storage that I had hoped for for bedding. I used that shape to try and recreate some space in the ceiling. There is a slight run to the current shape and I think with some strategically placed aluminum angle, fiberglassing, and a little change in the remaining supports, it should work out. I dont expect or need to be walking up there, I would just like to be able to put my long boards up there if needed. The design is the fun part for sure! Great feeling when your design works out as you had hoped if not better! I know I am getting much more excited as I see this start to take shape and get a roof on it. And thanks for the replies, I want to hear more feedback and opinions. I have never done this before and want to see what weaknesses others spot and we can all hopefully learn from this. I was a little disappointed with the lack of participation until now!

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Yes the skin has stiffened it up a bit but I will still add a couple of stringers. Fiberglassing will add significant stiffness and should get me the strength I am looking for.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Worked on it today for the first time in a while. Finished the plywood on the roof and reinforced the roof. Next step is fiber glassine the roof.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391471088.757804.jpg

Test fit the fantastic vent

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391471144.077579.jpg

hoptroll

Pool Boy
atydaqaj.jpg

dy9equty.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Started getting the glass down. Ran out of resin, hopefully finish tomorrow

umu4u6y3.jpg