Utah in the fall 2015 - 9 days, 475 off-road miles, and 14 hours of digging! (PICS!)

RIDGE

Adventurer
that is tough.

Time to outfit the van for storage rather than drag that trailer everywhere.

thanks for the pics. Scenery is amazing.

I actually enjoy the challenge of towing the trailer. I'm a little weird like that. I have a jeep that I won't lift for the same reasons...it's a fun challenge to get it through stuff that most think it can't do.

Reactions: DCZ

RIDGE

Adventurer
Such a cool trip and photos, it's unreal what that van does!

I'm pretty surprised by the van as well! But it's just a '96 van with stock everything except an Agile 4x4 conversion and 14 Bolt rear end with an ARB. I went with a 14 Bolt because it was cheap and I wanted a full floating axle. My stock differential ate a ring and pinion, so I had Agile do the 14 bolt and TTB conversion at the same time. I bought that van as a leaf sprung, Dana 44, 4x4 van. I never had an issue with the 44 either (in case you're wondering).

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Clapping%20hands.gif

RIDGE

Adventurer
Hey Ridge, I see a nice 70's Ford van in your avatar. What's the story behind it?

I bought an original '69 Econoline and drove the Hell out of it. I loved that thing but had to sell it when money got tight. It was amazingly clean. I took it to Cabo in '07 and did a trip report on it here somewhere.

RIDGE

Adventurer
I was curious to know what tire pressure you use?

I usually run 14-15psi but dropped it down to 10psi on this trip and loved it. Low pressure not only helps traction but soaks up so many little bumps (like washboard).

Loubaru

Adventurer
Wow, this has to be one of my favorite trip reports. I love the van and love your your *** righting style even more....make its much more entertaining.

RIDGE

Adventurer
Still on day 6!

Again, Kristal and I were high-fiving each other and very proud that we weren't trying to set up camp in an upside-down van. We came to some other washouts that were either drivable or had a detour. For the first time in a while, we knew we were making it out because of a set of tire tracks.

The trail looked good and we needed to put some miles behind us. When we started this adventure I figured we'd have a couple days to spare. I was planning getting my "real" four wheeling in at Moab on the way home. Neither one of those thoughts crossed my mind after what we had just been through...now it was going to be difficult to even finish the trail.

I pulled up to this, saw tracks, and figured we would be fine...

Still fine. In fact, I told Kristal she didn't need to get the shovel (she asked!)

I was wrong! There was a perfectly placed (buried) rock that got hung up on the hitch. I was expecting the trailer tongue to do some grading, so I throttled it. My plan worked perfectly for carrying enough momentum to slide so far on to the rock that the rear tires were off the ground. Not only did we need the shovel, axe, and the Hi-Lift jack...we needed a couple more hours to get free. DAMMIT!

Finally moving again.

The scenery was still epic with occasional rock stack being the only signs of man. I love how there wasn't any liter on this whole trip! If there was, we stopped and picked it up...but there wasn't much!

We drove pretty late into the night and just found a wide spot in the road to camp. It was a long day...27 miles in 11 hours.

RIDGE

Adventurer
Day 7
November 2nd

We woke up the next morning still hoping to finish out the trail. Even though the trail didn't have anymore major obstacles, it was still rough, and therefore, slow going. We drove and drove, just soaking in all the natural beauty. (Pictures might be out of order...)

This was our camp in the morning.

We could see the (ghost) town of Hite.

There wasn't anybody in the ranger station but we could hear the generator still running.

This is the launch ramp for Lake Powell. A few years ago, we would've been a hundred feet under water. You can see where the boat docks are at on the left, and I'm sure they were moved down as the water level dropped. It was sad. I absolutely love lake Powell.

There was fuel available at the gas station across the street from the ranger station, although there wasn't a soul in site. We aired the tires up, ate lunch, and got on the boring, paved road towards home.

It wasn't terrible though...we did drive through Monument Valley on our way back to where we started this epic journey!

Back at Lone Rock, in the exact spot we stayed 7 nights earlier.

Other than some rain, we had a great drive home and talked about the trip the whole time!

Thank you all very much for reading this! It was exciting to re-live it all as I went through the pictures!

EMrider

Explorer
That was great Chris, thanks!

You have motivated me to push the limits of my comfort zone a bit harder on the next trip.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94