Utah in the fall 2015 - 9 days, 475 off-road miles, and 14 hours of digging! (PICS!)

cols110

Observer
Great report & write up.

Out of interest how did he BFG KO2's hold up, the looked to be in pretty good condition.

Do they chip like the old ones used to.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I just read this whole thread... what an awesome trip! I've been building an adventure van for the past 6 months, and it's almost nearing completion. I plan on taking off with my son and exploring the back-country of the USA in it, while documenting everything along the way.

I also seem to share your same attitude of defiance. I can't stand people that constantly tell you that something can't be done, instead of offering up ideas on how it COULD be done. Everybody thought I was crazy when I said I was going to build a 4x4 van, then drive it across the country and make a movie about it. They said I'd never even get the van built (haters....).

Well it's been almost a year since I first started talking about it...but I got the van built... and did it by myself....out in the gravel (for the most part).... Now I'm putting together the routes for our adventures, building the web site, and prepping for the trip while I finish the ol' girl up.

I've realized that most people lead a very sheltered life, and have never encountered hardship, much less actually worked through anything. You only fail when you stop trying.....

Thanks for the inspiration man, it makes me feel all fuzzy inside when I see other people following their dreams and doing what makes them happy, especially when it's going "against the grain". Kudos to you, and maybe we'll see you out on the trail one day!

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I just read this whole thread... what an awesome trip! I've been building an adventure van for the past 6 months, and it's almost nearing completion. I plan on taking off with my son and exploring the back-country of the USA in it, while documenting everything along the way.

I also seem to share your same attitude of defiance. I can't stand people that constantly tell you that something can't be done, instead of offering up ideas on how it COULD be done. Everybody thought I was crazy when I said I was going to build a 4x4 van, then drive it across the country and make a movie about it. They said I'd never even get the van built (haters....).

Well it's been almost a year since I first started talking about it...but I got the van built... and did it by myself....out in the gravel (for the most part).... Now I'm putting together the routes for our adventures, building the web site, and prepping for the trip while I finish the ol' girl up.

I've realized that most people lead a very sheltered life, and have never encountered hardship, much less actually worked through anything. You only fail when you stop trying.....

Thanks for the inspiration man, it makes me feel all fuzzy inside when I see other people following their dreams and doing what makes them happy, especially when it's going "against the grain". Kudos to you, and maybe we'll see you out on the trail one day!

Rock on, you both look excited and ready for adventure!

RIDGE

Adventurer
Great report & write up.

Out of interest how did he BFG KO2's hold up, the looked to be in pretty good condition.

Do they chip like the old ones used to.

I was hoping for them to clean out a little bit better but all in all, they got the job done. No chunking yet but they are practically new. The only thing I don't like about them is they aren't as big as the Goodyear MTRs I took off. I would like to switch to NITTOs simply because they have a proven tire and they support a lot of off-road racing.

RIDGE

Adventurer

I'd really like to see you on the trail and kudos to YOU for spending quality time with your boy! Don't make that thing too pretty because it'll hurt less when you scratch it all up! Lol.

I'm working on my van right now too. Leaving Wednesday for another Utah trip...this time from Lone Rock to Moab. I have a feeling it's gonna be muddy!

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I'd really like to see you on the trail and kudos to YOU for spending quality time with your boy! Don't make that thing too pretty because it'll hurt less when you scratch it all up! Lol.

I'm working on my van right now too. Leaving Wednesday for another Utah trip...this time from Lone Rock to Moab. I have a feeling it's gonna be muddy!

I spent all my money on the drivetrain....So even if I wanted a slick paint job, I can't afford it.... :sombrero: It will be a solid color before we take off, but I can't promise it won't be sprayed with a harbor freight gun and $25/gallon tractor supply paint! lol

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I spent all my money on the drivetrain....So even if I wanted a slick paint job, I can't afford it.... :sombrero: It will be a solid color before we take off, but I can't promise it won't be sprayed with a harbor freight gun and $25/gallon tractor supply paint! lol

Don't knock the HF spray gun. It surely isn't the quality of a pro gun but once you get the air and paint mix right it will spray a decent job.

Darrell

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Don't knock the HF spray gun. It surely isn't the quality of a pro gun but once you get the air and paint mix right it will spray a decent job.

Darrell

The guy who's shop I've been using to build my van, just bought the $14.99 purple HVLP gun to use on this street rod he's building. At first it was just for a primer gun, but it sprayed so nice he ended up using it for color too! lol I'm sold on it, and with the coupon I can get it for $9.99.

Stallwart

Weekend Adventurer
What's most amazing to me about this whole thing is that you did it with a trailer! I read two other reports of people going through this same area with smaller vehicles and no trailers and they struggled. I have no doubt that you have serious driving skills!

Last edited:

gwittman

Adventurer
You brought back memories of some of the trips my first wife and I took back in the late 70s and 80s in our 73 FJ55 Landcruiser. She was very adventurous but was not as brave as your lady. However, she trusted that I would not get us into trouble and I did not do anything I couldn't get out of one way or another. It is amazing what you can do with that van especially pulling a trailer. Hat's off to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior