Utah / Colorado Overland Adventure (White Rim Trail > Rimrocker Trail > Colorado Passes)

Hey all!

After a year of planning and researching, my wife and I departed on a 2 week adventure through some of our bucket-list trails in Utah and Colorado. We documented our adventure and I've been in the process of editing and creating videos sharing our highlights ever since our return in mid August.

I thought I'd share our adventure here in case anyone is interested in doing any of these backcountry routes.

I'll be posting videos here as I complete them, and if anyone has ANY questions about our trip, I'm happy to answer them to the best of my abilities!

Cheers,
- Jeff

Episode 1 is complete! In this "episode", we head from our home state of Washington to Moab, UT and then head out for our first day along the White Rim Trail.

Spoiler Alert: The White Rim trail is BEYOND spectacular and should be on every adventure travelers bucket list (in my humble opinion).

If you have any questions about what you see here, feel free to drop them in this thread and I'll be happy to answer them!

Cheers,
Jeff

Josh41

Adventurer
Glad you enjoyed the Rim Rocker. We drove Moab to Montrose the first week of August '21. Even dryer than your trip.

Glad you enjoyed the Rim Rocker. We drove Moab to Montrose the first week of August '21. Even dryer than your trip.

Yeah, the Rim Rocker was a great trail. What an awesome connector between UT and Co!

You must have done it just a few days before us! We were on the trail something like Aug 8th - 10th.

I was all hyped up for the river crossing, and then we pulled up to it and I was like "Oh, well nevermind." Haha.

dstefan

Nice video trip report!

Thinking of doing Rimrocker this summer. Wondering about rig size issues? No real concerns with my built Tundra, but my camper is about 8’8” high (but no wider than the truckbed itself) and wondering if you recall any/many low rock outcroppings with little to no safe room to swing wider? Saw one potential spot in your video, but didnt think it would be an issue. Otherwise it all looks fairly open.

Nice video trip report!

Thinking of doing Rimrocker this summer. Wondering about rig size issues? No real concerns with my built Tundra, but my camper is about 8’8” high (but no wider than the truckbed itself) and wondering if you recall any/many low rock outcroppings with little to no safe room to swing wider? Saw one potential spot in your video, but didnt think it would be an issue. Otherwise it all looks fairly open.
Thanks!

I think you'll get through with no issues. I can't recall any tight spots height-wise on the trail. There might be a few sections where brush encroaches on the trail, but as long as you're OK with some mild pin-striping, I can't imagine you'd have any issues.

One thing to note is that we did bypass the first part of the Rimrocker just out of Moab. I'd heard from other reports that it gets really tight with brush, so you might want to look into that a bit (or bypass that part like we did).

For those following along, next up after we finished the Rimrocker Trail was the iconic Imogene Pass.

Incredibly beautiful? Check!
A bit butt-puckering? Check!

Here's a link to the full video documenting our time in Telluride as well as our trip up and over Imogene Pass.

Cheers!

It's Colorado high mountain pass season! Thought I'd share the "finale" from this trip from last Summer over Ophir Pass.

This is a fun one, and much more "tame" compared to Imogene Pass. Still, beautiful scenery and a great "connector" road!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste