USMC M1030B1 Restoration

Johnnny13

Observer
Finally got the starter lock out switch (clutch safety switch) in. Got the bike to start up (see video). The new radiator isn't leaking and the fan comes on as well. The only things left are installing the IMS Tank (original to the M1030B1 new old stock), skid plate, plastics, front black out light, and get the seat reupholstered. I hope to knock is too this weekend and take it or a test ride.
First Start

Last edited:

Johnnny13

Observer
I’m pretty much done with bike #3. I just need to reupholster the seat, bleed the brakes, install the mirrors, install the goggle bag, and install the front blackout light. It has the best shock out of all of them and the engine runs and shifts perfectly. I always want to keep these every time I finish one. I have attached the before and not so great lighting after pictures. Once I get everything buttoned up I will get some better pictures to post.
IMG_6349.jpg
IMG_6350.jpg
IMG_6352.jpg
IMG_7694.jpg
IMG_7696.jpg
IMG_7697.jpg

Johnnny13

Observer
I am about finished with the latest bike (bike #3). This will be the fifth bike, as I don't count my buddies or mine. This was the most extensive and expensive rebuild so far. I am currently in the midst of changing the engine hardware out to stainless. I also changed the engine head case. I just got the seat reupholstered, got the front IR light on, Installed the new front fender goggle bag (reproduced from the old original one), and bled the brakes. I just need to fight out 4 more bolts and swap them over to stainless and then it will be for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_7957.jpg
    IMG_7957.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7963.jpg
    IMG_7963.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7990.jpg
    IMG_7990.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7992.jpg
    IMG_7992.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7996.jpg
    IMG_7996.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 34

Johnnny13

Observer
Finally finished the latest Marine Corps M1030B1 restoration. It’s in better condition then when it was new! Both of the IR lights work as well. I just have to wash it and clean the tank off. I personally ditch the turn signals and mirrors. The next owner can figure it out.
Walk around / Start up

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Well you convinced to paint my spare plastics in Military colors. I have an extra set of all original plastics, with a red IMS tank for my 06. After seeing your restoration on yours I"m going to go ahead and paint these pieces in Desert Sand and keep them stored in a safe place for the SHTF stuff. Who knows, I may go ahead and put them on and store the white plastics that on it now.

I have an 86 Turbo Diesel Isuzu Trooper I'm about to paint in Desert Tan, so I'll just prep the KLR plastics and shoot them while I'm at it.

NIce job on those Johnny13

Coachgeo

Explorer
Look forward to pics of both Curtis. When I paint my truck I'll probably do some sort of dessert and Olive Drab on each side, Iike will do on Lmtv camper

Johnnny13

Observer
Just picked the next bike to restore. I’m calling this “Bike 4”. I don't count mine and my buddies that I’ve already completed. I found the easiest way is to see if the engine will attempt to crank and then go from there. I just replaced the drain plug with a magnetic low pro one from Eagle Mike, put in new oil, put in a new Deka sealed battery, replaced the fuses and then jumped the battery straight to the starter. I also found out Tiny Pic is shutting down. All of my pictures are hosted there so I’m not sure if they will disappear or not. Either way this one is in rough shape.
IMG_1425.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg
IMG_1432.jpg

Johnnny13

Observer
So I started the tear down of “Bike 4” (really the 6thone) and it went as well as expected. Everything was a pain in the ass and nothing worked! I’ll paint it tan like mine (correct for the 03 Iraqi invasion). It’s a bit cold here so I’ll have to take it to a buddy’s house for cleaning and paint. Then the tedious process of mechanical and cosmetic restoration begins. All of the gas tanks I currently have are more of a green tint so I think I will monsterline / linex this to match the tan paint. I also took mine out to Grants, New Mexico last weekend and had to battle some giant rocks on the way up the mountain pass in Zunni Canyon. That specific trail is not big bike friendly!IMG_1989.jpg
IMG_1992.jpg
IMG_1947.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 11

Johnnny13

Observer
I got the bike torn down as far as it will go. I busted the tires off by hand. The last person that changed the tires forgot to add the rim strip and left a few pieces of the old one in there. I then began the tedious process of starting paint. First I sanded down the parts that needed it, used rust reformer, put down 2 coats of black or grey CARC zinc primer, 2 coats of CARC flat black or tan, and then used 2 coats of flat black high heat paint for the exhaust parts. I also got some marine grade vinyl to recover the seat. I looked over one of the two bikes I have left that I haven’t restored and found a inventory tag. I’ve found a few of these on the bikes. This UIC code is from Headquarters Company, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division. I’ve already ordered a good amount of parts. I should have the parts need to start reassembly and hopefully this upcoming week I will have a rolling frame.
IMG_2214.jpg
IMG_2210.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2221.jpg
IMG_2222.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
Wish the company in India that bought all the patents / rights etc from HDT would do something with them beside sit them on a shelf as they appear to be doing right now

btw.. what do these have for a flywheel? it is rumored the flywheel weight was massively dropped to accommodate the conversion. Would love to see the heads and pistons to see how they did any fuel swirling or whatever they did to automize the fuel in this reworking of the KLR's engine to make it run on diesel

OOPS..... forgot... these are NOT surplus diesel bikes you are buying and restoring..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles