Sold the latest tan bike already. Decided to start on the next one in a week or two. I’ll be keeping this one and it'll be the original green color. From the UIC code on the inventory tag, it looks like it belonged to H&S Company 3/6 2nd Marine Division. I pulled the engine a year or so ago to do some work to it. It only has 1,718 miles.
Stripped the bike down with a buddy in one night. Just waiting on the paint and new parts to turn it into a roller. It’ll be the original green. Also finally moved everything from the three storage lockers to the garage in my new house. Having lights, power, and an air compressor, will make life much easier.
I busted the tires by hand. Apparently, this bike was ridden without a rear spacer at some point (sprocket side). You can see where the sprocket carrier was scraped away. I plan on replacing all 5 wheel bearings, front & rear sprocket, rear sprocket carrier, and front & rear disc (and bolts).
Made some good progress. I replaced all the swing arm and suspension linkage bearings and sleeves, the 4 wheel bearings, sprocket carrier bearing, and the speedo grease seal. I also had to rebend the “ears”. Just for the wheels: new front / rear disks, new front and rear disk bolts, new sprocket carrier (old one got ground up from someone riding without a spacer), new sprocket, new sprocket nuts, new tires, new heavy duty inner tubes, new rim strips, and replaced two missing spacers. For the forks, new fork seals and 15 wt bel-ray fork oil. It came with progressive fork springs. I also installed a new chain slide, new upper and lower steering stem bearings, and Eagle Mike raising links. Just waiting on getting the air box done so I can get this frame into a rolling chassis. I also threw in the Eagle Mike subframe upgrade bolts. And obviously cleaned and repainted the parts.
Started getting the bike into a rolling chassis. I’m using a used Progressive 465 shock I got off a forum member. These bikes originally came with a upgraded Progressive 420 shock but this one is trashed and not rebuildable. Other than that, the only other new stuff that wasn't mentioned in the post prior is new OEM for boots and Eagle Mike 1.5” handlebar risers. I’m missing the two spacers on the lower shock mount. Progressive is mailing them out but it’s going to take a bit. Once that comes in I can get the swing arm and rear wheel mounted. I finally finished cleaning and painting the air box so I’ll get that in tomorrow.
I went ahead and installed the heat shields back onto the muffler. I cleaned and painted it with VHT high temp flat black paint. I put in a new header to muffler gasket, new heat shield hardware, and a new header to muffler clamp. I also put in a new OEM ignition. The Marines epoxied the key in. Probably a good idea so it doesn't get lost in the first five seconds. I also installed a JNS engineering kickstand foot pad.
I dumped the oil, replaced the oil filter, and added an Eagle Mike low profile drain plug. Decided to do the doohickey and replaced the left side outer engine cover from an older engine. The spring was broken so I replaced it with an Eagle Mike lever and torsion spring. I also decided to change all of the engine hardware with stainless steel hex head bolts that I painted flat black. This will be a bit of a process. I’m going replace the right-side engine case and check the filter at the bottom over there as well.
I replaced all of the clutch fibers, clutch springs, water pump gasket, right case gasket. Then cleaned the oil screen (looked pretty good), threw on a Eagle mike oil fill plug, the shift linkage (elongated version), eagle mike low profile magnetic drain plug, and new oil filter. I replaced all the case, water pump, and oil filter hardware to 6mm hex head stainless using anti seize. I also checked the valve specs and one was out and the rest were pretty tight. I used a form I found online to track it and a webpage to do the math for me. I ordered all 4 valve shims from Eagle Mike. Once they arrive I’ll clean up the outside of the motor, install the valves, a new cam chain tensioner gasket ,and then engine will be done. From there I’ll start laying out the harness into the frame. I really want to get this done before July. This engine is unknown to me. It’s from a totaled 2004 KLR I got a few years ago. It had about 20,000 miles on it. With the dohickey, new valve shims, fresh oil and filters, it should be good to go for some time.