USMC M1030B1 Restoration

Johnnny13

Observer
Sold the latest tan bike already. Decided to start on the next one in a week or two. I’ll be keeping this one and it'll be the original green color. From the UIC code on the inventory tag, it looks like it belonged to H&S Company 3/6 2nd Marine Division. I pulled the engine a year or so ago to do some work to it. It only has 1,718 miles.
1.jpg
2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Johnnny13

Observer
Stripped the bike down with a buddy in one night. Just waiting on the paint and new parts to turn it into a roller. It’ll be the original green. Also finally moved everything from the three storage lockers to the garage in my new house. Having lights, power, and an air compressor, will make life much easier.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Johnnny13

Observer
I busted the tires by hand. Apparently, this bike was ridden without a rear spacer at some point (sprocket side). You can see where the sprocket carrier was scraped away. I plan on replacing all 5 wheel bearings, front & rear sprocket, rear sprocket carrier, and front & rear disc (and bolts).
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Johnnny13

Observer
Made some good progress. I replaced all the swing arm and suspension linkage bearings and sleeves, the 4 wheel bearings, sprocket carrier bearing, and the speedo grease seal. I also had to rebend the “ears”. Just for the wheels: new front / rear disks, new front and rear disk bolts, new sprocket carrier (old one got ground up from someone riding without a spacer), new sprocket, new sprocket nuts, new tires, new heavy duty inner tubes, new rim strips, and replaced two missing spacers. For the forks, new fork seals and 15 wt bel-ray fork oil. It came with progressive fork springs. I also installed a new chain slide, new upper and lower steering stem bearings, and Eagle Mike raising links. Just waiting on getting the air box done so I can get this frame into a rolling chassis. I also threw in the Eagle Mike subframe upgrade bolts. And obviously cleaned and repainted the parts.
1.jpg

Johnnny13

Observer
Started getting the bike into a rolling chassis. I’m using a used Progressive 465 shock I got off a forum member. These bikes originally came with a upgraded Progressive 420 shock but this one is trashed and not rebuildable. Other than that, the only other new stuff that wasn't mentioned in the post prior is new OEM for boots and Eagle Mike 1.5” handlebar risers. I’m missing the two spacers on the lower shock mount. Progressive is mailing them out but it’s going to take a bit. Once that comes in I can get the swing arm and rear wheel mounted. I finally finished cleaning and painting the air box so I’ll get that in tomorrow.
1.jpeg

Recommended books for Overlanding

Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide
by Tom Sheppard
From $125.48
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99

Johnnny13

Observer
I went ahead and installed the heat shields back onto the muffler. I cleaned and painted it with VHT high temp flat black paint. I put in a new header to muffler gasket, new heat shield hardware, and a new header to muffler clamp. I also put in a new OEM ignition. The Marines epoxied the key in. Probably a good idea so it doesn't get lost in the first five seconds. I also installed a JNS engineering kickstand foot pad.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg