USMC M1030B1 Restoration

Addapost

New member
Awesome! What years are you seeing on these bikes? I went through the USMC Motorcyle Messenger School in 1987 at Camp Pendleton. That was a long time ago but I think I went through the very first class. Subsequent to that, in '87 or '88 we actually broke them out in my unit (1st LAV Batalion) a few times during training ops. Good times.
 

Johnnny13

Observer
Awesome! What years are you seeing on these bikes? I went through the USMC Motorcyle Messenger School in 1987 at Camp Pendleton. That was a long time ago but I think I went through the very first class. Subsequent to that, in '87 or '88 we actually broke them out in my unit (1st LAV Batalion) a few times during training ops. Good times.
they are all 2000. You would have used the KLR250 version known as the M1030. Around 99 / 00 Hayes Diversified made the KLR650 version and it was renamed the M1030B1, which these are.
 

Johnnny13

Observer
Back at it again! I got new rim strips, Heavy Duty inner tubes, and Dunlop D606 tires installed. The wheel bearings seemed a bit rough even though the bike only has 566 miles on it. The sleeve between both bearings was off center a bit and the axle bolts didn’t look great. I replaced all 4 bearings, replaced the sprocket bearing, the cush drive, and cleaned up / lubed (marine grade grease) up the axle bolts. I also painted the last of the parts.

I disassembled the front forks, cleaned them, replaced the seals, and put in some Bel-Ray 15 weight oil. One of the forks would get stuck about half way compressed with the springs out and was almost impossible to separate the top from the bottom. Once I got everything cleaned up I couldn't get them back together. They must be bent. Next weekend I’ll get another fork and do it again. That’s the only thing I’m waiting on to get a rolling chassis together.1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
 

Johnnny13

Observer
Started getting the frame together today. Besides the basic assembly I added a new ignition. The USMC version had the key epoxied in. Obviously without that a Marine would lose it in about 2 seconds. Also need to rebuild another fork. The one I ordered was for the right, which I already have.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpegimage2.jpeg
 

Johnnny13

Observer
Got the rear rack, rear fender, taillight, kickstand, inner fender liner, and toolbox on. Just waiting on the paint to dry on the other front fork and it’ll be a roller.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
 

Johnnny13

Observer
Got the latest front fork on, new fork boots, front fender, and fender bag. I also set the steering neck bearings and attempted to get the rear axle bolt in. I’m still having the same issue. I finally took the rear wheel off and noticed that the sprocket side wheel bearing had the incorrect inner diameter. The axle bolt wont fit. I just replaced both wheel bearings and sprocket carrier bearing with a set of either Moose Racing or All Balls. I guess I need the OEM one. Got the original fender bags reproduced by Storm Industries. He’s done all of the fender bags for me so far and made a few really cool tool rolls.1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.JPG
5.JPG
 

Recommended books for Overlanding

Johnnny13

Observer
Found a new set of sealed rear wheel bearings in my parts bins. Replaced the incorrect smaller diameter bearing and got the rear wheel and axle bolt on. Fought the grips on to the handlebars and put on the handlebar brush guards. I was going to rebuild the carburetor but just realized I was sent the rebuild kit for the Gen 2 KLR vice the correct Gen 1. I’m going to get the engine in tomorrow.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
 

Attachments

Johnnny13

Observer
Finally got the engine in. Just need to clean it up and replace the hoses. Tomorrow I’ll get the wiring harness in. I also cleaned the last 4 carbs for the bikes I have left (only 3). Just waiting on the rebuild kits from Eagle Mike.
IMG_3248.jpg
IMG_3233.jpg
 

Johnnny13

Observer
Just did a few basic things today. I replaced the engine filler cap and drain plug with ones from Eagle Mike. I installed the exhaust (painted with high temp paint) with all new hardware for the exhaust shields, replaced the exhaust pipe gasket, and muffler join gasket. I put in a new oil filter and brand new cooling system hoses. I also installed a new UNI air filter using no toil air filter oil and paste for a better seal and then cleaned up the rear brake caliper and put in some new EBC brake pads.IMG_3260.jpgIMG_3261.jpg
 

Johnnny13

Observer
Finally got the wiring harness into the bike. Just need to get the headlight bracket in to connect the front end wires. Just got my custom made stencils in. I had a company reproduce them from measurements of the existing ones. I basically just scrap them off with a razor blade. Most military vehicles had the stencils spray painted on but these were just vinyl. They are really durable and a have a matte finish.

Yesterday I rebuilt two of the four carbs I had stripped and cleaned a few posts back. My bike wouldn't start so I took the carb off, cleaned it, and rebuilt it. Now the bike runs better then ever.1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
 

Johnnny13

Observer
Got the rear brake in with new EBC break pads. Just need to get the master cylinder cover on and brake pedal installed. Still contemplating if I want to do the doohickey. The engine only has 566 miles on it. Also got a few things buttoned up on the wiring harness. I was able to get the radiator and fan in. Just waiting on one cooling hose and a new Deka sealed battery.1.jpg
2.jpg
 
Top