Using the SVEA 123 "properly" (a vid)

Mos6502

A few months ago I was watching some youtube videos about the SVEA 123. But something was absolutely BOGGLING my mind. In every single video the person would light the stove in an overly complicated, and in my opinion, needlessly hazardous way. I saw many different approaches, but most of them involve using methylated spirit, dispensed from an eyedropper, or a syringe, or a straw, to preheat the stove - and then handling the hot stove after preheating to put the windshield on. I kept thinking "why are people doing this? This is not how the instructions tell you to light the stove!" - but I was wrong. This is not how the old instructions tell you to light the stove. The instructions that come with new SVEAs are vague, and leave a lot of the lighting procedure up to the imagination of the user. Unfortunately the imagination has produced some rather wild ideas about how to get the thing to work. So for the benefit of those who have never gotten to read the instruction that used to come with them, I made a short vid to illustrate:

There are several advantages to lighting the SVEA 123 this way. You don't need an extra, different source of fuel for preheating (no need to carry alcohol), you don't need extra tools like a syringe or eyedropper (which might get lost or broken), and you won't be picking up a HOT stove to put into the wind shield. The disadvantage to this method is you may have a hard time lighting the stove in cold weather as your hands may not warm the tank enough to get the gasoline flowing, and if it's really cold you may not be able to get the gasoline to light, in which case alcohol may be a preferable fluid for preheating. But most of the time, I find this method preferable. I'm not sure why the instructions were changed. I want to think it's simply the new translation isn't very good, so it's vague. But I suspect that maybe by being purposefully vague, the manufacturer is shielding themselves from one who might misinterpret the old procedure and injure themselves or the stove. Who knows? Anyway, I hope somebody finds this interesting at least.

alia176

Explorer
Nice video, thanks for sharing. Admittedly, I had no idea what a SVEA even was until this video. I learned something!

Trillium

One sound I will always remember from my early backpacking trips is the beautiful sound of the pulsating hiss of the 123 at full roar and after cooking the dead silence that surrounds you when you turn the stove off.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
That is great, and I am sure you are right that the instructions were redone "vague" to save us from the lawyers.

PhillySMB

Good video! You can also buy small pumps that pressurize the tank. Especially useful in colder weather. Years ago you could buy priming paste, which was much more convenient to tote around than a small bottle of alcohol or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhillySMB

Since you obviously appreciate the SVEA, here are some pics of an old Primus 71
0200a1673053a24023d80ea5bc62965b.jpg

I picked up at an estate sale. Really nice shape, with original directions that describe the hand-warming method.
d3746e11a92ecbd270ccbe18f9a6a669.jpg

479e451ba38d6809d93c7983b98884e3.jpg

78731e612c1dfba9b099c99f2f703bcd.jpg

4f616bf71ad1f6ea308441ed7fefd3cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trae

Adventurer
Fascinating!

Wikipedia lists all options (self primed, external fuel and a handpump): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123

To light the stove, the fuel tank must first be pre-heated and pressurized by lighting a small amount of fuel poured into the primer pan or spirit cup (a small well) on top of the tank at the base of the vaporizer (the vertical stem connecting the fuel tank to the burner). Alternatively, the primer pan can be filled directly from the fuel tank by opening the control valve and warming the fuel tank by holding it in one’s hands.

Are people still using these? I've never seen one before, I mainly use pressurized cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles