Using 'shipping wheels' to fit van into container instead of RORO

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
What do these rim/tire weigh?
How often will you use them?
Would you carry these with you on your travels full time?

From what I've seen of the folks that use them: The weight isn't much of a concern, because they do NOT carry them full time. They're used for the shipping evolution, then generally stored or shipped overland separately to someplace near the final-destination so that they can be re-used for return journey after a (presumably) long travel period. These kinds of things make the most sense for the big trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic shipments. Once could foresee using such things to get from North America to Europe, then storing them in Europe while travelling all of Europe and Africa (depending on route through Africa, possible to do drive-on Ferries for these legs.), and then refitting the shipping kit for the return to North America.

Yes, both the "manhole cover" and "spare mini-wheels" solutions do cost some money, but given that going from standard 20' container to a 40' High-Cube is a big jump in price, and going RORO also adds significant cost (AND introduces security concerns, etc.), it still could be cheaper to spend money on single- or two-use items versus just surrendering to the problem.

Reactions: mog
I have a high top Ford Transit and have wondered about using "shipping wheels" as well. The only info I have found by someone who as actually done it was WildlifeMoments.de --- http://www.wildlifemoments.de/russia-how-to-fit-a-landcruiser-into-a-container/

It looks like they use aluminum but they do not say in the article. The disks are narrow but I guess you could park on a block of wood/steel/aluminum once inside the container so not to worry about damage to the container floor. The door is smaller than the rest of the container so you would have room to drive up on 1/2 inch blocks. If they are aluminum they might be light enough to carry around with you if you plan on shipping more than once.

If anyone has any idea how to calculate what grade/thickness aluminum would support a vehicle post the formula I am sure a bunch of members would appreciate the information.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Those are pretty similar to the ones I had made. Note that you can have a fair bit of material removed from the inside of the plate to make it lighter. If you have access to a fabrication shop, you can have a 1-2" wide rim rolled and welded on. Each wheel can be made slightly smaller than the next, allowing them to nest together for easier storage. Though you would want to leave them somewhere, as they are heavy.

Last edited:

Chuckles!

Observer
Adding one more link to the possible options. This guy looked like he took some factory wheels and sliced them off past the mounting flange. Good option if you have access to cheap steelies that are just larger than your lowest brake/suspension components.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
We shipped our van in a container from Montreal, Canada to LeHavre, France. We used a container because we thought it would be safer (theft) and we could save a bit of money.

I had to obviously remove the Thule box and move some side lamps attached to the roof rack. I also had to buy a pair of steel wheels for the front from the scrapyard. The rear just rolled on the drums (I was a little worried but it turned out fine because the wheel spacers are bolted on and held them in place).

The van had to be pushed in with a forklift and even pushed down to compress the suspension to clear the vent.

There was an extra fee to put the van in the container. I barely saved any money when all was said and done.

Removing the van from the container was fairly difficult in France. The first facility couldn't do it as it was on a 4' ramp that would hit the "side skirts". But it was fine at the second facility. I did not pay any additional fees for their miscommunication.

I left the steel wheels at the port.

All in all it went fine but it was a big hassle. The next time I will use Seabridge to return to North America. Less trouble and cheaper (because routes are standardized).

Link to picture

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz