Using portable genny for backup power @ home

dreadlocks

Slightly OT but I think there's more than just me thinking like this, last winter I lost power overnight with a newborn and was a little shocked to see how quick my 60's built house lost all its heat, I've been living here 9 years and that was first time we lost power in the winter.. so this year when I bought a small portable generator (Honda 2200i) for my new adventure trailer I justified much of the honda premium as emergency power to keep the furnace running.

Now that I'm starting to prepare for winter I went out and ran the generator dry just incase it dont get used again this season.. and then it occurred to me, how exactly was I planning on hooking my furnace up to this thing?? a bit of google **** later and I now have one of these installed down next to the furnace: http://ezgeneratorswitch.com/

Before & After
IMG_20180919_233807.jpgIMG_20180920_201145.jpg

It can switch both neutral and hot (DPDT) if your generator provides a bonded neutral/ground or it can be rewired to switch just hot and use your panel's bonding for an unbonded generator.. My honda is not bonded I rewired it that way in a few seconds, comes setup for a bonded genny.. the furnace should pull no more than 7-8A at startup which is well within my genny's capabilities.

I also picked up some marine stabil fuel stabilizer, I normally run my mower and small gas engines dry then dump the rest of the jug into a car and then get all new in the spring.. but now I wanna keep some gas on standby all winter and use whatever is left (hopefully all of it) next year.. I have plans to remodel my fireplace and turn it into a gas one next year, I'll take this opportunity to have a NG tap installed outside and convert this Honda to a TriFuel, wont have to worry about keeping fuel for it, or running out of fuel in the middle of the night, or ever.

Was super easy to install, and price was right (cheap).. thinking of getting another one for the roof top swamp cooler, then I can have cooling capability w/the genny aswell.

dreadlocks

I got a new furnace (2 stage w/humidifier, great upgrade) a few years ago and asked em if they would put it on a normal cord like my old one was, they said they couldn't because it was against current code (hardwired w/switch, and a bunch of other crap that changed since house was built) and they hadda get it all inspected for the permit they pulled.. I was going to rewire it to be on a 15A Twistloc cord and screw it, then I found this and it seemed to be a more elegant solution that wont bite me in the ass in the future.

I had read that modern furnaces might fault if they detect a floating neutral, this takes care of that too.. I coulda just taken a plug end and wired a temporary bond for generator.. but then I'd have to keep track of it and remember to use it when its on the house.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Now you just gotta figure out how to keep someone from stealing your gen while it is running. I bought a similar generator earlier in the year, haven't had cause to use it yet but have been mulling over how I would set it up if I did.

I have heard stories of thieves placing a running lawn mower next to the generator and carting away the gen, the owner still hears a motor running and assumes it is the generator still going...doesn't notice the gen is gone until it is too late. Probably wouldn't work for your little Honda though, it is much quieter than a lawn mower.

dreadlocks

http://lowprolockdown.com/shop/hondaeu2000lockplate-redblack/

I'm attaching one to a receiver hitch step like I've seen several people on these forums do and carrying it behind the trailer.. for now I can reach a cord from the back of the trailer to the furnace.. eventually im thinking mebe I'll weld a receiver to a pole and cement it by back porch or just get a 2nd baseplate and secure it near the house.. tha'll come later, going to build a new patio on back side in next couple years and then I'll run NG tap over there for a Grill and figure it out..

I'd like to get some of my network off the battery backup before it taps out and keep my security cameras recording and my ham station online.

Ideally when not in use for camping I'll leave it hooked up to house and ready to go, that way getting the power back up in the middle of the night is just starting up the generator and flipping the transfer switches and going back to bed.

Last edited:

basicfish

Observer
Search Craigslist for an onan BFA they were used in motor homes in to the 80’s. The design dates back to the 50’s. They are cheap, a good running one should be around $300. 1800 rpm, 4kw 110volt output and will run as long as you keep fuel and oil in it. They are easily converted to run nat gas.
I have an old onan set up for hurricane duty, I also have a Honda eu3000 with the extended tank.
Our plan is to run the fridge and 2 window ACs on the onan till the nat gas runs out.
Once that happens we switch over to the Honda eu3000.
It’s just my plan and my opinion.
Ron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles