Using hitch reciever under slide in camper overhang

Porkchopexpress

Has anyone mounted a hitch cargo rack, bicycle rack or towed a trailer behind a truck with a slide in camper? How much overhang did you have and did you need an extension? Pictures would be great.

My intention is to keep this thread general but my specific situation is that I have an F350 with a 6.75' bed. I measured about 90" from the front of the bed to the end of the hitch reciever. The floor length of the camper I am buying is 97". I'm guessing it will be another 10" for wall thickness, gaps, ect so maybe 17" of overhang. I'm thinking about bringing a harbor freight hitch rack for extra storage when I pick the camper up.

Superduty

Adventurer
You can do it a lot safer with the larger 2.5 and 3" receivers.

Reese makes an extension bar to accomplish this.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mightymike

Adventurer
Yes. We have a short bed Ram 3500 and a Lance 865. Per Lance the camper floor is 8’ 7” and the Ram bed length is 6’ 4” so quite a bit of overhang. I bought a hitch extension, 24” I believe. I’ve never towed with it but we have used a hitch-hauler for bikes and for a generator when we boondock on the beach in the summer. I also bought a very beefy swing away hitch adapter so we can easily get in and out of the camper without having to step over the hitch hauler. I highly recommend getting some type of anti-rattle hitch pins for all hitch pins. You’ll have a pin in the truck receiver, and another at the end of the extension. If you don’t use anti- rattle pins you’ll have a lot of slop and movement.

My brother tows a trailer behind his truck camper and he uses the same set up but his hitch extension has a chain on either side that attaches from the end of the extension at the trailer ball back to the factory hitch and the chains are then tightened. Depending on the overall trailer weight and the tongue weight you may need something similar. etrailer.com has always provided me with great service and good prices on these kind of thIngs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior