Using Blue Sea 187-Series Circuit Breaker/Switch instead of a battery switch

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Also, when speaking of BattleBorn, this recommendation is completely wrong...

But you'll get **much** longer lifespan by charging more gently, say 13.6-13.8V and never letting discharge get below 12V.

According to their rep, the resting voltage is 13.6v, so it will take more than "13.6-13.8V" to charge them. Or, at least to charge them in any reasonable length of time, such as "one driving day" or "one solar day"...which is what most overlanders / full-timers / blue water sailors would need.

And according to their rep, 12.7v is pretty much dead, so that, "and never letting discharge get below 12V", statement is just some weird non-applicable ****** out of left field.

Last edited:

robepa

The way I see it crazy high use would be 20 cycles a year, even the standard lithium ion cobalt cells are 400 cycles to 80% capacity is 20 years. LiFePo4 can get to thousands depending on how they are used. So for me the only thing that matters is storing at a high SOC particularly at high temperature. I should be able to charge the bank in 4-8 hr so when I finish a trip i will leave it off the charger unit the day before.

This video was interesting, I deal with lithium ion cobalt at work but don't have experience with LiFePo4

john61ct

Adventurer
LFP is routinely rated between 2000-5000 cycles, and that's often with cycling down to 80% DoD.

12V is well above 10%SoC, perfectly safe.

LFP is LFP.

Drop-ins won't come close to that, the standard is large prismatic single cells, max 2-3 paralleled strings if using sub-packs, with external BMS.

Vendors are the last people to listen to about voltage specs across the board.

The dozens of other vastly different "lithium ion" have nothing to do with this thread and should not be used for House banks in a mobile context, including salvaged EV packs.

I'll try to get my boilerplate care summary posted soon.

pdavitt

Also, when speaking of BattleBorn, this recommendation is completely wrong...

According to their rep, the resting voltage is 13.6v, so it will take more than "13.6-13.8V" to charge them. Or, at least to charge them in any reasonable length of time, such as "one driving day" or "one solar day"...which is what most overlanders / full-timers / blue water sailors would need.

And according to their rep, 12.7v is pretty much dead, so that, "and never letting discharge get below 12V", statement is just some weird non-applicable ****** out of left field.

Bravo. When dealing with lithium batteries, either LiFePO4 or LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC), one must forget everything they know about lead based batteries (either flooded cell or AGM). It's a totally different world.
Pat

john61ct

Adventurer
And NMC vs LFP, dozens of other Lithium-Ion are all handled very differently to each other, LI is just a generic umbrella term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles