Using Anderson Powerpoles for fridge connection.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hi all,
Thinking of a more reliable connection for my fridge rather than a Hella type socket.
What are peoples thoughts on Anderson Powerpoles for connection ? This will be wired into the Switch pros system (http://store.switchpros.com/sp-8100-8-switch-panel-power-system/).
Would it be better to have a direct run/connection incorporating the fridge lead or would a alternative socket solution be better ?
Thanks
Steve

I use the 30A ones for almost everything, with RIGrunners. As long as you get a good crimp they work fantastically (you HAVE to use their crimp tool, IMHO)

The only potential negative is that since they are not sealed against the elements, there are better choices for anything that is going to be on the outside/underside of the vehicle. On the interior they work great.

AndrewP

Explorer
Anderson power poles are great in my opinion and perfect when you move your fridge around to different trucks. With that said, if it's always in the same truck, I would probably hard wire it to the fuse panel for a direct connection, and shorten the wire as much as possible to avoid voltage drop when running.

The 15/30/45 amp power poles and housings all connect, so it's useful to standardize on those.

I highly recommend you buy the housings that are already put together and bonded. That assures you preserve the common convention of polarity. But if you want your own convention, the PP will allow you to do that. With the standard convention, though, you can connect anything to anything, which will have a lot of advantages as you system becomes more complex.

X2 on the crimper advice. Powerwerx sells one for $35 or so that works perfectly.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Power poles are not bad. There are other high current dc connectors I like more that are soldered rather than crimped. XT90 comes to mind. Andedson will be a much better (less electrical resistance) more secure connection than hella socket. Use shortest run and biggest wire you can stand.

That switch pro kit is pretty fancy only thing I dont like is the low voltage disconnect and reset points can not be set by user. 11.5 volts is less than half a charge and lead acid will last much longer if not taken below half charge. 11.7 to 12 would be my ideal cut out point. Difference could be hundreds or even thousand of charge/discharge cycles.

But then again I know nothing about rest of setup and perhaps in use it will never be discharged to cut off, which would really be ideal.

Last edited:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
I use power poles almost all of my field power stuff, but I hardwire the fridge. Didn't want to risk something coming unplugged on something like that.

As mentioned, this way I can let the fridge do the power management and if I want to go really low on the battery, it'll manage it.

unseenone

Explorer
X3 on the powerwerx crimper. I have been using them for over three years, no problems so far. I do not recommend soldering personally. If it's crimped correctly, you will be fine. You might consider remote relays for power controls, cheaper and way easier. You will find a few ideas for power pole distribution here.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I also use Power Poles exclusively, on everything, and use the Powerwerx crimper. The oldest crimp is going on 10 years and still as solid as day one.

If you need to make sure things stay plugged in, just use one of these: http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories/powerpole-retention-clips.html
If you're using a fridge that doesn't power manage (mine is on or off), these come in handy and are available pre power poled: http://www.aprsworld.com/apo3/

The Disco has three RigRunners throughout, absolutely worth every penny. :)

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
i moved away from the powerpoles and just use the xt60 for everything. You can get 10 of them for less then 10 dollars, you need to solder them but its a quick job. They can handle up to 60 amps and work great on my roadpro 12 volt lunch bucket which uses 11 amps, never get hot where they connect. Its a good solid connection and wont come loose on there own.

xt60 closeup a.jpg

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
I'd be weary of using XT60 for sustained 60A loads as they're designed for RC model use and "rated" at 60A for something like 5 minutes only.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If your fridge is drawing 60A you have bigger problems than what connectors you are using :snorkel:

Norcalfamily

15a is plenty for my ARB on back of my rig. Some people sleep better by over doing it, not necessarily better protection imo.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior