Using an NMO-Style Antenna for CB

lysol

Explorer
EDIT - Of course.... A minute after I post this, I find an ExpeditionPortal thread on the same subject..... - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/68820-NMO-Cb-antenna

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10-Meter (HAM Band) - 28MHz
11-Meter (CB Band) - 27MHz

I never really though about this, but I've read people having success in using an NMO-style antenna (such as the one below) and tuning it to be used as a CB antenna. Most have said they had to take off about 6" off the antenna though when tuning.

Thread where someone did an install (w/Larson NMO-27) - http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/373838-post1.html

Pic from thread:

DSC_8017%20%5B%5D.JPG

Random Google Picture:

CB_Radio_03.JPG

Last edited:

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Larsen makes NMO antennas for 26/27 MHZ. The Larsen brand products are extremely sturdy and long lasting. Just do yourself a favor and drill a hole in the body. It makes a structural and RF difference you won't regret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pir8p3t3

Just my 2 cents and others may disagree, but if you are going to drill through the body, make sure you size the hole properly, and depending on the vehicle you are drilling, make sure the sheet metal is strong enough to handle the wind load on the antenna. A lot of newer cars have thinner sheet metal, especially on the roof, and will flex and stretch while you are driving. Also, and I realize this may seem like it doesn't need to be said, but if you run your car through an automatic car wash, remove the antenna from the mount and place a mount cover over it first. And never trust a dealer not to run your car through the wash, even if you tell them not to.

lysol

Explorer
Larsen makes NMO antennas for 26/27 MHZ. The Larsen brand products are extremely sturdy and long lasting. Just do yourself a favor and drill a hole in the body. It makes a structural and RF difference you won't regret

**No where to drill in my vehicle... lol If I could, I would. The hood is probably the single best place to mount an antenna on a Wrangler.

Just my 2 cents and others may disagree, but if you are going to drill through the body, make sure you size the hole properly, and depending on the vehicle you are drilling, make sure the sheet metal is strong enough to handle the wind load on the antenna. A lot of newer cars have thinner sheet metal, especially on the roof, and will flex and stretch while you are driving. Also, and I realize this may seem like it doesn't need to be said, but if you run your car through an automatic car wash, remove the antenna from the mount and place a mount cover over it first. And never trust a dealer not to run your car through the wash, even if you tell them not to.

Good point on the dealer thing.

4x4mike

Adventurer
My link is the one you added in the OP. I've had excellent results with my NMO CB antenna. In the old days I used fiberglass whips and barely got marginal results. When I purchased my 4Runner I went with a Wilson lil whip or whatever it was called and got much better reception and distance along with a shorter more durable antenna.

I like and use several Larsen antennas but don't have the NMO27 as mentioned above. I primarily use HAM radio and with my NMO mounts so close together the NMO27 is too floppy will touch the HAM antenna when things get whipping. I've got a shorter CB whip with an adapter base that allows me to use it on the NMO. For the UHF/VHF I use a Comet B-10, Larsen 1/4 wave or Larsen 150.

Since my CB use is limited I usually have the mount covered with a Larsen rain cap. If and when I need it I can pull it out from under the seat and screw it on. No exposed coax or large ugly mount.

It's kind of hard to see in this picture but the two NMO mounts are near the rear of the roof. The shorter one is the 1/4 VHF and then the CB antenna.
DSC_0135.JPG

Last edited:

binrat

Observer
Something to remember, if you are shooting for range then get the base of the antenna up high. I have an old friend who runs one of these antennas and he got out better than any Wilson antenna around. He swears by his.

August

Observer
When you take your NMO antenna off for the car wash, put on a fairly inexpensive NMO CAP to protect the mount from water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior