Using an ice fishing tent for winter camping?

Wilbah

Adventurer
Curious if anyone here has done this/does this and the pluses and minuses. 4 season tents are pretty expensive and it seems like the typical ice fishing shelter (which are pretty reasonable comparatively speaking) would make a good tent for winter camping.

Many have "insulated" walls (meaning heavier fabric so they keep some warmth in and may not have as big an issue with condensation) and they seem easy to set up. I know there is normally no floor but many have floors that can be added. They're generally much heavier than tents so this is not for backpacking camping but would work for vehicle based trips.

It just seems like a reasonable way to go for the few times I camp in the winter? (I do know the warnings about heaters CO, CO2 etc. and dont take them lightly....some scary stories online about people who sealed them up too tight while running heaters and lanterns. Yeesh). Thanks for any thoughts you have.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have frequently slept / camped in an ice fishing shelter, but never used one for camping other than on a lake. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, but if you’re doing that, you might as well fish.

Grassland

Can't remember channel name but a guy up near Edmonton did some videos where he did such a thing. First tried in his backyard then did week at a time living out of it while he went to trade school.

I'll see if I can find the name

YouTube "Steve Wallis"

billiebob

cheap, insulated, durable, no floor... all pluses for a winter camping tent. Great idea.

The one thing I hated about tents was the floor.

Great video... from Edmonton, my home town.

Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
Can't remember channel name but a guy up near Edmonton did some videos where he did such a thing. First tried in his backyard then did week at a time living out of it while he went to trade school.

I'll see if I can find the name

YouTube "Steve Wallis"

Thanks!

Wilbah

Adventurer
cheap, insulated, durable, no floor... all pluses for a winter camping tent. Great idea.

My sentiments exactly....especially when comparing the cost to some of the 4 season tents out there. I'll check out the video thanks!

frankthecampguy

Nice tent camping video by Steve. Thanks, Billie for sharing. I really like the tent set up and camping spot.

Reactions: WVI

Wilbah

Adventurer
Great video. That pretty much mirrors what I thought would be the case. Easy to set up- a decent amount of room. Plenty warm with the stove.

I wonder how cold the low was that night. I saw the -31C he showed before going to bed. I also wondered if he had used hardwood for his stove if it would have lasted longer staying warm. Pine is great to get a fire going but the last thing I want for an all night fire. He mentioned coal but maybe a good hardwood and closed damper would have been better.

But great video nonetheless and exactly what I was thinking as relates to using an ice fishing shack for easy setup/camping in the winter (plus I like the pre-cooked meatball idea!). I will check out some of his others. Thanks!

Grassland

Pine and spruce also soot the hell out the chimney when its really cold. Typically when we go out we try to bring some better wood with us for over night, plus some dry kindling for starting the fire. Many of the trees around where we winter camp are pine etc.
Let us know how it works out for you if you go this route.

billiebob

Great video. That pretty much mirrors what I thought would be the case. Easy to set up- a decent amount of room. Plenty warm with the stove.

I wonder how cold the low was that night. I saw the -31C he showed before going to bed. I also wondered if he had used hardwood for his stove if it would have lasted longer staying warm. Pine is great to get a fire going but the last thing I want for an all night fire. He mentioned coal but maybe a good hardwood and closed damper would have been better.

But great video nonetheless and exactly what I was thinking as relates to using an ice fishing shack for easy setup/camping in the winter (plus I like the pre-cooked meatball idea!). I will check out some of his others. Thanks!
I've done the canvas wall tent with 8 guys and a wood stove when it was 50 below. Any wood will make it plenty warm.

Wilbah

Adventurer
I've done the canvas wall tent with 8 guys and a wood stove when it was 50 below. Any wood will make it plenty warm.

No i didnt mean the fire didnt get hot enough. He commented in the video that his fire didn't last the night and he was remarking how cold it was when he woke up. He was using KD Pine lumber initially and I dont know if that's what he used all night but that wouldnt last the night, that's all.

Grassland

As a rule, when you wake up cold you go check the fire right away, so you don't have to risk starting a new fire.
As long as some embers left and you keep some dry kindling ready JIC you get her going again quick, empty the bladder if needed (outdoors) and then warm up by your recently stoked fire.

And with a group of people,.you lie there awake and listen for the sounds of somebody else getting restless and hope they get up and deal with the fire.

Wilbah

Adventurer
As a rule, when you wake up cold you go check the fire right away, so you don't have to risk starting a new fire.
As long as some embers left and you keep some dry kindling ready JIC you get her going again quick, empty the bladder if needed (outdoors) and then warm up by your recently stoked fire.

And with a group of people,.you lie there awake and listen for the sounds of somebody else getting restless and hope they get up and deal with the fire.

Yep...exactly how I've played it with groups. Ha. Always a good feeling/sound when I hear that crackling of small stuff taking hold while I'm still in my sleeping bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles