Using an AR15 type rifle for hunting

AzTacoma

Adventurer
When I bought my Armalite 5.56 quite a few years ago, I intended to use it at least occasionally for hunting. Mostly javelina, and maybe calling in a coyote or for whitetail. Hell, maybe even the big antelope jacks in southern AZ... I make a mean jackrabbit chili. To make a short story long, I've been "afraid" to use it in the field because I'm so comfortable with my other firearms... but I really want to take it next time. If anyone has some basic AR-hunting tips, hints, and strats I'm all ears. I have a Burris 3x red dot and don't plan on taking shots over 150y. Any input appreciated, thanks.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Treat it just like your favorite rifle, it will become your favorite, quickly, especially for the game you are talking about, coyote calling here can get intense quickly and having those quick follow-up shots makes it even better, so relax and have fun with it, like I said it will become your favorite.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
.223 works pretty good as a varmint gun. I actually got one of the Savage Arms bolt action .223s to use in areas where I felt a black gun might raise too many eyebrows. Inexpensive caliber to shoot, lightweight, fun for plonkin.

SigSense

Adventurer
I've used AR-type rifles in 223 and 308 for hunting for over 20 years. Reason I like it is that I carried the AR platform in the military and know it extensively. Is it as accurate as a bolt action? No. Is it close? Yes. I use a variable 1-8X red dot type scope on both the 223 and 308. For close-in game, leave it at 1 or 2 power. If you need the extra magnification, dial it up to 8 power. I sold all my bolt actions and now only hunt with an AR platform.

robert

Expedition Leader
I've carried a suppressed 11.3" 6.8SPCII several times when deer hunting over the last couple of years but haven't shot anything with it yet. I like the short length but it is on the heavy side and it bangs around climbing in a stand; I don't care about scratching it up but it's noisy. When the temp drops it's also cold in your hands or on your lap. A good sling makes it a lot more comfortable, not a "tactical" model. FWIW, I usually hunt with a T/C Hawken .50, a bit of a difference. :)

I've actually thought about buying a 6.5 Grendel upper for better range but I don't really need it where I hunt. A friend uses his 16" 6.5 on hogs with good effect.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I've used AR-type rifles in 223 and 308 for hunting for over 20 years. Reason I like it is that I carried the AR platform in the military and know it extensively. Is it as accurate as a bolt action? No. Is it close? Yes. I use a variable 1-8X red dot type scope on both the 223 and 308. For close-in game, leave it at 1 or 2 power. If you need the extra magnification, dial it up to 8 power. I sold all my bolt actions and now only hunt with an AR platform.

Both my 6.8 and .308 ARs shoot on par with my bolt guns. I really like the look and feel of my nice wood stocked Winchesters, but I find myself carrying the 6.8 to the blind more and more. It really is my favorite gun (Don't tell my .25-06 I said that, LOL) I have a Leupold 3-9X on it and I've taken many hogs, deer and turkeys with it. Got a coyote last weekend. I don't call them, but it just happened by at the right time. The one tip I'd have for the OP is don't feel like you like you have to load the magazine all the way full. It will be lighter and easier to handle if you have a 10 or even 5 round mag, or just load a 20 rounder with fewer. Also, if you do decide to hunt deer, consider you ammo choice carefully. 55gr ballistic tips might not give you the penetration you need. Something like the 60gr Nosler Partition or the 62gr federal Fusion would be good choices.

Last edited:

AzTacoma

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. My main thoughts were to have a good strap and the right ammo for the job. I originally bought a 5 round mag with the gun, but apparently there are no mag capacity restrictions in AZ anymore. I'll probably still use it although perhaps I'll bring the 10 rounder as well. My AR15 is quite accurate and I'm determined to finally take it javelina hunting in Feb.

screwball48

Explorer
ARs are fairly common hunting rifles in my area now. I suggest buying a few boxes of heavier grain ammo. Take them and shoot them to see how they perform from your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz