Using a Yeti backwards?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
What is the internal contents capacity?

Can't be used as a freezer.

Would really like to know its AH per 24hr consumption at lowest-temp setting in very hot weather.

Have yet to see a thermo-electric based unit perform anywhere near as well as a compressor-based one.

The heating function is interesting, I suppose good for bringing a stew to a pot luck? Is 150° hot enough to actually cook?

Wonder what the wattage drawn on that side is?
The one I have is 35 Litres or about 38 quarts, I have tested mine out and it uses about 9 watts in the eco mode and when tested it uses about 0.9 to 1,7 amps maxed out but normally it is using about 1.1 to 1.3 Amps, unlike other peltier coolers it cycles on and off every couple of minutes, because of it's ease of use and light weight if the weather is not too hot I prefer to use it over my fridge, But if I am using the fridge as a freezer I keep a couple of those blue Ice bricks in ther that I can throw in the cooler on very hot days and it stays at about 1*c or 33*f for a good 24 hours, Here is a pic of it where I set the temp to max cold and it is 27*c/80.6*f in the room and the cooler is sitting on 1*c/33.8*f and I think I filled it with cans of coke or something like that. Please note that this cooler cycles like a fridge does.

and that gauge is reading 27.0*c room temp and the inside is reading 1.0*c

Hope that helps,

https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/pr...c-coolboxes/dometic-tropicool-tcx-35-_-153291

Attachments

• My TCX 35 Ext Int Temp Reading.jpg
    My TCX 35 Ext Int Temp Reading.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission

Can't be used as a freezer.

Would really like to know its AH per 24hr consumption at lowest-temp setting in very hot weather.

Have yet to see a thermo-electric based unit perform anywhere near as well as a compressor-based one.

The heating function is interesting, I suppose good for bringing a stew to a pot luck? Is 150° hot enough to actually cook?

Wonder what the wattage drawn on that side is?
Sorry John I did not answer all your questions, for some weird reason they use less power when heating up than they do when cooling,

I am doing test cycles on my fridge freezer at the moment but I will test out the cooler if you want me to, but it uses a lot less power than the coolers that we are use to and like I said throw a couple of those blue Ice bricks in there and it wont turn on for hours, It did it during that test and the highest it got was 3*c and then it switched on and went back down to 0.5*c just above freezing point. I first thought I shouldn't of bought it but when I tested it I realized just how clever it really is and anyone on a tight budget who already owns a fridge freezer where they can freeze them blocks on those hot day would save a fortune by owning one of these because it really is impressive, As you say you have yet to see one behave anywhere near like what a fridge does but keep this out of the sun and it just works,

I was really thinking about sending it back at first but then it started cycling and worked well then I wondered what would happen if I put some of those Ice blocks in there and then it all just made sense, and the Cokes were all but freezing, lol.

john61ct

Adventurer

in inches, cu ft, liters, cans of Coke, whatever

Do they make bigger ones?

Worth starting its own dedicated thread I reckon.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Anecdotal evidence here. I was running the snowblower in my driveway a couple years ago, subzero temps and my beer started to freeze just sitting in the can. Not a light beer either, 8% ABV. For the next can, I put it in one of the Yeti colsters, and it didn't freeze. Or maybe I just drank it faster?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
It's gross volume is 35 litres and useable volume is 33 litres, I got 43/46 cans of coke in it but it was not full, it's just because that is all I had at the time. But if you are going to put that many in there I would add a couple of blue Ice Bricks around the edge just to speed up the cooling process.

The Picture above was taken with just the Coke in there and it made that Temp under it's own Steam and it varied between 1*c to 3*c every time it cycled it went back down to 1*c, the next day I added a blue Ice block and it went down to -0.5*c that's "minus" 0.5*c and then it turned it's self off for a few hours because the TCX series shut off once they get down to 0*c/32*f or there abouts.

There is a few things that should be noted,

Just about every 4x4 fridge/freezer carries an "A+" rating for power consumption, The Dometic Waeco TCX-35L or/and the TCX series carries a "A++ rating, and I have never seen any appliance with a higher rating.

"NO" it's Not a Fridge. But it does Cycle on and off like a Fridge does, When that picture was taken I ran the TCX for 4 days in 27*c+/80*f+ temps and the warmest temp it got up to was about 3*c but it would fire up and drop back down So then I wondered what would happen if I added the blue ice block, When I added the Blue Ice Block it's temp varied between -0.5 and to about 2*c, the moment it got to 2*c it would power up and then drop down to 0*c to 1*c,

This Cooler sounds like a fan tuned up to the max when you first turn it on, Once the temp get close to what you want it will cut it's speed by half along with the noise level once it is at it's desired Temp it Slows down to about 1/10th of it's speed/noise so much so that you have to put you Ear right on it to hear it as it finishes doing its thing, It will then Shut off and the moment it's Temp rises by about 1*c it will fire up in it's ECO (very low speed) Whisper mode and cool the TCX back down and then it will shut off again and it will keep doing this for how ever long. As with all powered Cooler always leave a gap between the contents and the internal Fan.

As with all Coolers they ALL carry the Stigma of being power Hogs and the Tunnel Visioned will keep spouting "It's Not as good as a Fridge" Well No One said it was. Where this beats a Fridge or compliments a fridge is.

1) The price is less than half that of a Fridge, but it behaves like One ?. and It is better than using an Ice filled Cooler.
2) If you can't justify buying a Second fridge then the TCX makes good sense and if the weather warms up a fair bit then just add a Blue Ice Block or Two. which you can keep a couple in your fridge Freezer, And I guarantee that it will hit the -1 to 1*c temp Mark.
3) The TCX makes sense for any one on a limited budget who wants to get away for a few days without have to go Ice Driving for Beer or your food, It is also Ideal for work where it does not have to live in the Sun. and that is not a good Idea even with a Fridge and there is nothing Macho about exposing your fridge to elements that will shorten it's service life regardless of the make and model or how much you paid for it.
4) The TCX series runs on 12v/24v and 110/240vAC with Both power leads/sources connected it will Automatically select the AC power supply over the 12 or 24v supply, Although it does not have battery protection but Dometic Waeco can supply an extension lead that has a built in Battery protect circuit which come at a price of around 20/30 Dollars. So no flat batteries.

The TCX series are more of a Hybrid, they do not behave like the Coolers we all know and they "Do" behave similar or Like a fridge does at a fraction of the cost without the Excess weight, "TCX 14L = 5.8kg = 11.02 lb , TCX 21L = 7.3kg = 16.09 lb, and the TCX 35L = 10.6kg = 23.35 lb. and they work at any angle One thing I really like about them is once you have it cooled down and running in the ECO mode when it cycles you can even sleep next to it Unlike all of the fridge freezers, Chuck in a blue ice block or two when you go to bed and it won't even turn on for 2-3 or 4 hours But in it's Eco whisper mode it won't wake up even the lightest sleeper.

I have a fridge/freezer and I am going to buy another bigger one soon, but the TCX is so mobile and useful, It's not a fridge but it is more of a multi-tool than a fridge, Even fully loaded it is lighter than my smaller "Empty" fridge freezer, It has a good lid catch that works well and a good seal and a Removable Lid, Yep that's right "Removable Lid" and the moment you open the lid it shuts off the internal fan so it does not blow out all your cold Air, but the external fan keeps running keeping the element cool, One thing I forgot to mention In the ECO mode when it switches on it reaches it's temp very fast and it shuts off within 3 to 5 minutes, and even it's normal first time cool down mode it rivals most "Fridges" when it comes to cooling speed when timed with a stopwatch.

I use it as a fridge and use my fridge as a freezer and I found that if I take the food out of the freezer in the morning and put it in the TCX, being frozen the TCX hardly ever switches on even on very warm days and it has the same effect as adding the Ice blocks, One Thing that really Surprized / Shocked me was when I did the Coke Can Test I put in a couple (2) of 6x3x1/2" blue Ice Blocks and 27hrs Later they still partly frozen. and it was still reading just above ZERO degrees C. again it is not a fridge but with a bit of forethought it can be just as good or better at a fraction of the price.

I have only played with the heating mode once and it does get pretty warm in there, that's for sure.

As with all Powered Coolers you should not put loose Ice in them because you could drown the fans etc.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles