Using a Tarp instead of an Awning

bstory

Observer
We started our Sprinter tarp deployment with a canvas tarp 8 x 10 but after a year or so it was pretty mildewed so I got a cream colored vinyl tarp, same size.

The only thing we did a bit differently was that I lashed a small diameter (I think 3/4") piece of pvc pipe using the grommets along the outer edge - just lashed with heavy twine and then saturated the twine with Titebond III to keep it from sliding on the plastic pipe.

We have eyebolts spaced for the grommets on our first tarp installed on the side of the van - put them in before paneling inside the van with backing. The awning rolled up on its pipe and the van-side edge is attached to the eye bolts with these squishy gear tie things. I can do it by myself if necessary - I am a 69 year old woman - with a couple of step stools, holding the awning on its pipe (which gives it a bit of rigidity) and then stepping up with one end and just twisting the attachment tie (which we leave on the eye bolt). https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Gear-Tie-Assorted/dp/B00XIWJXKK

Takes about 10 minutes to set up with 3 telescoping tent poles stuck through grommets and sort of wedged against the pvc - most of that time is spent staking the poles properly. Less time to take down the poles, roll the awning and get it back up on the side of the van.

We take it off the van when we are not traveling and keep it in our woodshed.

Works great. In a lot of wind we can tie off the tarp with ropes from the awning to trees or anything else handy, or lower the outer edge to the ground and tie it to our pole stakes.

The yellow tarp was the canvas one at Kirk's Creek, Big Sur. The cream one was at Cape Breton Highland National Park. Poles, stakes, ropes, eye bolts and gear ties have lasted over 6 years as has the piece of pvc.

Attachments

• Van&flowersatBigSur.jpg
    Van&flowersatBigSur.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 124
  • vanwithawningup_sm.JPG
    vanwithawningup_sm.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 122

dcg141

Adventurer
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0144.jpg

Finally got out to set it up for the first time. This is more of a sunshade setup for day trips with the top open. Can also close top and use as seen or extend full length.

Last edited:

Steve F

Adventurer
I use both, awning on one side tarp on a sail track on the other. I like the awning as it is free standing so works well on sand etc, the tarp is really just to shade the fridge in the trailer and add some weather protection. Awning was also only $86AUD, probably cheaper than the tarp all up.

20170206_103404_zpsyu5vzopy.jpg

Cheers
Steve

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
They look just like mine which were recently subjected to the winds of Death Valley. The poles held up great until they were lifted off the ground and my tarp began to writhe in the wind. Winds were bad the few days I was in western DV. I did come up with a solution to the tarp coming off the poles attached to my camper. I used the smaller Niteize Figure 9 and cording to attach the grommets to the poles. This solution worked perfectly even when the tarp was launched from the ground poles.

This is the smaller Figure 9 that I used for the poles on the camper:
https://www.amazon.com/Figure-Tent-...UTF8&qid=1490379257&sr=8-12&keywords=figure+9

This is the larger type I use for the ground poles:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LG96JY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Attachments

• IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5437.jpg
    IMG_5437.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
I am thinking that I will make a custom tarp set up w/poles for attachment to my Mega Warrior roof basket on the roof rack of my truck cap. I was thinking big enough to give rain/sun shelter on one side & the tailgate area.

dcg141-----
Those ARE nice poles, where did you get them ???

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I am a big fan on Tarps, my two current favorite being the Kelty Noah's Tarp 12 and the Kelty Carport. Both are are awesome and very versatile. However, I just splurged on an ARB awning, the quick setup factor put me over the top. Sure I can make a tarp work, but the quick setup of the ARB and similar is really nice for quick stops to get out of the sun and or the rain/snow here in Colorado. I found storing the adjustable poles, guy lines, stakes and my obsession with "taught" tarps takes more time and interior space than the quick setup awnings do. Time will tell. I played with a a friends ARB and was impressed with the ease of setup and tear down to get a solid, stable shelter in place.

I LOVE my carport but it is like setting up another tent.

chops749

Observer
I have a short bed Tacoma with roof rack and just bought the small arb awning. I'm trying to decide if I should take it back and just go the tarp route. I feel that 4 ish by 7 isn't that much coverage. Could I add a tarp to the side of it to extend the footprint?

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Recently got back from a wonderful trip in Owens/Death Valleys. Five days and four nights consisting of the White Mountains, Volcanic Tablelands, Mono Lake, and Death Valley-Mahogany Flat Campground. I tested out using my Kelty Tarp 12 and it worked great.20170820_074159.jpg20170819_194046.jpg20170819_191104.jpg20170820_100357.jpg20170820_152158.jpg

Umnak

Adventurer
Resurrecting this thread with a photograph of our new truck camper and the easy set-up for a tarp. The Sprinter was sold at the end of our 3-year road trip.

Capri Tarp.jpeg
The eye bolts on the stern and starboard side of the truck camper make set-up easy. Whose else is using tarps instead of awnings?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz