Using a Tarp instead of an Awning

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I'm working on my system. I now have more poles and a longer tarp so I can have it out horizontally.
20160729_183801_zpshpjhrjv2.jpg

20160730_101404_zpstjsw9ar4.jpg

I use the jack mounts to attach it.
20160730_101416_zpsib52cd2w.jpg

Umnak

Adventurer
I bought an Aqua Quest tarp and I'm rigging up a system to tie off the side of my trailer. I use pop up canopies on longer trips but I want something I can use anytime and carry it full time. The idea of a tarp that can be configured in any number of setups appeals to me. The Aqua Quest tarps have loops sewn into them so I plan to tie it to the roof rack on my trailer and have a telescoping pole at the opposite end going thru the loops and 2 upright poles with guy lines.

https://aquaquestwaterproof.com/product/safari-sil-tarp-large/

Had not seen that tarp before, thanks for the link. Looks like a good healthy piece of kit. The loops are much better than grommets for long term use.

Umnak

Adventurer
I'm working on my system. I now have more poles and a longer tarp so I can have it out horizontally.
20160729_183801_zpshpjhrjv2.jpg

20160730_101404_zpstjsw9ar4.jpg

I use the jack mounts to attach it.
20160730_101416_zpsib52cd2w.jpg

That's a great outfit you have and the tarp -- with the poles you plan to add -- will be a fantastic addition. Where were those pictures taken?

dcg141

Adventurer
Had not seen that tarp before, thanks for the link. Looks like a good healthy piece of kit. The loops are much better than grommets for long term use.

It is very well put together. The sewing especially in the corners is very robust. Thx for the thread. I had the tarp but you kinda pushed me into getting everything I needed to make it regular part of my trailer setup.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
My tarp awning works great other than in dire winds. During windy conditions I took it down but covered my table and items near my truck by securing the tarp over the items. So it does double duty. I tried to figure out how to set up my larger tarp but the wind began and it would have been an exercise in futility. The awning works and is a fraction of the price of other awnings. There was a lot of moisture in the valley during new years and the tarp got the condensation where the things underneath did not.

This was after a breezy evening and one corner was blown off.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
One of my favorite uses of a tarp I setup was with my Subaru Forester and used it in conjunction with my hammock.

10527538_10152399346152023_9163210176200154163_n.jpg

szfofa

Looks great. I plan on doing the same thing! I already have my poles think my canvas tarp shows up tomorrow. Only thing is not sure how im gonna tie it to the roof rack, probably just tie it to it though

DCH109

Adventurer
Tarps are fantastic, cheap and easy to use. Hell some sticks as poles work to.

Years ago (and I mean years) i was backpacking with a group. we were in teams of two. Somehow one of us forgot the tent, but I had remembered the tarp. It was a very big tarp. so a quick lean to and a tarp cut in 1/2 and believe it or not, it rained all weekend. We were the driest there. Now when I camp, either by Truck or via other ways, I always bring a tarp. I cannot justify a small awning for the price when I can setup a tarp of anysize I want for a fraction of the cost.
No it is not a COOL, but i am beyond that.

DCH109

Adventurer
My tarp awning works great other than in dire winds. During windy conditions I took it down but covered my table and items near my truck by securing the tarp over the items. So it does double duty. I tried to figure out how to set up my larger tarp but the wind began and it would have been an exercise in futility. The awning works and is a fraction of the price of other awnings. There was a lot of moisture in the valley during new years and the tarp got the condensation where the things underneath did not.
Lots of guide lines well anchored. and lower the tarp. I have had huge tarps backpacking, enough for 9 people to be comfortable under them in horrible storms and wind that dropped trees. .
do an A frame and anchor it down. it will hold if done right.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Lots of guide lines well anchored. and lower the tarp. I have had huge tarps backpacking, enough for 9 people to be comfortable under them in horrible storms and wind that dropped trees. .
do an A frame and anchor it down. it will hold if done right.
I wasn't about to perform my experiment in the winds of Death Valley by myself. I will make it happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz