Using a GFC, Super Pacific, Camp King....etc

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have seen lots of videos of people showing off their camper shells. Images and video of popping them open, closing them....etc.

However, I have never seen a video of what it is like to actually use them for well....sleep and general living space.

I want to see what it is like to call it a night, crawl in the thing, close the tailgate from the inside somehow, close the lift gate from the inside some how. Move the panels and go to bed.

Or, what do you have to do when there are two people and you both have to crawl up there?

What about going to pee in the middle of the night.

I know this is not the clamorous part. But, the thought of all of that is what has me leaning towards an ACCC instead of the much lighter and more streamlined designs.

Does anyone have videos around the portion of getting inside and closing the tailgate and liftgate from the inside? How exactly is that done?

If GFC, or Super Pacific also had a door option like the ACCC, it would be slam dunk. Besides having two different rear section, it would easy to engineer and either or option.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I too have been researching them, back when I got my Taco in 2019 all these American made, super simple pop style campers were still really new and most companies were still figuring things out. While most companies are still “really young” by business standards I believe GFC has really proven its self. Also, Super Pacific looks like a strong contender too. I needed something for the back of my truck to lock up family stuff and keep the dog safe, so, I bought a Snugtop. Also, I already had a Tepui from my Jeeping days. So I really didn’t “need” a fancy camper. After watching this recent video I’ve been sold on the GFC. I like their business and the product looks pretty dialed in. Also, the price point isn’t bad considering any decent camper shell with a few options is almost 3k, add a bulky RTT and that’s another 1,500 at least. Oh, and add another 500 bucks for mounting solutions unless you can fabricate something. Really the GFC is almost a bargain at that point.

The one thing I’d like to know is how people reduce the amount dust and water getting into their set ups. Trucks like mine with composite beds need to be sealed up better than most.

Let me know what you think...

sancap

I have seen lots of videos of people showing off their camper shells. Images and video of popping them open, closing them....etc.

However, I have never seen a video of what it is like to actually use them for well....sleep and general living space.

I want to see what it is like to call it a night, crawl in the thing, close the tailgate from the inside somehow, close the lift gate from the inside some how. Move the panels and go to bed.

Or, what do you have to do when there are two people and you both have to crawl up there?

What about going to pee in the middle of the night.

I know this is not the clamorous part. But, the thought of all of that is what has me leaning towards an ACCC instead of the much lighter and more streamlined designs.

Does anyone have videos around the portion of getting inside and closing the tailgate and liftgate from the inside? How exactly is that done?

If GFC, or Super Pacific also had a door option like the ACCC, it would be slam dunk. Besides having two different rear section, it would easy to engineer and either or option.

I have the AT Summit on a Tundra. It is fairly easy to rotate and slide off the sleeping bed onto the truck bed. We keep a porta potty in the truck bed and can use it at night without going outside.

As for opening and closing the tailgate, opening is easy after opening the top rear door of the Summit and letting the tailgate open. The tundra has a damper so it doesn't slam open.

I have a 3 foot piece of climbing webbing attached to the tailgate (using existing hardware) that lets me pull the tailgate closed easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles