Used Waeco or new Whynter?

I have in my possession an almost new, used twice Whynter 45qt fridge, and a couple years old Waeco 50qt.

Okay, here's the deal. The Whynter sometimes has trouble staying cold enough. I lost a 1/2 gallon of milk at the expo because it got up to 51 degrees for who knows how long. I think it shut itself off so it won't kill my battery. Is there a way around this? Surely it would be adequate if I was running the engine more, but I was parked for 3 days, in the sun.

The Waeco is definitely used. It works well, but the lid is missing a knob on one side that keeps it on, so I'd have to figure out how to deal with that. And does it do the whole battery saving shut off thing too?

I know the Waeco is a better fridge, but I'm wondering if it's physical state would hinder so far as to be inferior to it's newer generic counterpart.

Any advice? I gotta sell one...

08whitex

Adventurer
I have to say that I like the battery protection in my EdgeStar fridge. I would rather loose a little milk than be stuck out in the desert. I dont know for sure on this but I have heard it is bad to run ac compressors on low voltage as it can damage components. 3 days is a long time for a fridge to be running without starting your vehicle. I have no experience with the Waeco fridge so my oppinion may be a little biased, but I would stay with the Whynter and start your vehicle for an hour every other day or invest in some solar assistance.

hoser

Explorer
Waeco has a selectable voltage cut-off switch, if that is what you mean by battery protection. I would choose Waeco for reputation, ease of repair and support. Just buy a new lid.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I would choose Waeco for reputation, ease of repair and support.

i dunno, i dont have a waeco store in my town where i can walk in and have it repaired, i do however have the ability to contact customer support like i would have to do for any fridge on the market. so that part of the decision would be a wash for me.

a vote for the whynter (edgestar) as the customer support is nothing less than stellar from everyone on the cheap fridge thread and to date my only problem was very easily fixable buy me while drinking a beer.

hoser

Explorer
Okay, then choose Waeco for it's tried and true, Dan Foss compressor. The same one used in the National Luna and latest generation ARB fridges.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
now your talkin,,, go for the tried and true guts of the machine,,, speaking of guts the whynter/edgestar has the same guts we have all been trusting in our home fridges, air conditioners and commercial grocery store refrigerator units,,,, which BTW is available over the counter in just about any decent appliance shop.
i'm not pickin a fight, just trying to stand up for a company that doesnt have the name recognition in this community that the other fridge makers have and so far seem to be producing a fine piece of kit.

a vote for the waeco if the extra 5 qts will make a difference

hoser

Explorer
I realize Matsush*ta is not new to compressors but no other portable fridge/freezer designed for autos/boats I have heard of uses them... hence, my comment about the Danfoss being tried and true.

It's okay to root for the underdog, I usually do. But the OP has two fridges in possession. One company has been selling fridge/freezers for over 35 years and the other company is on version 1.0-- it could very well be a great fridge and time will tell. Waeco's fridges isn't perfect either but I'd still buy another.

No worries. It's all in good discussion.

And yes, 5 qts does make a difference. It's a lot more :beer:

hoser

Explorer
Rhino, your comment about the 5qt actually reminded me of one of the reasons why I chose the Waeco. And it was Spressomon that first pointed it out.

We have a limited amount of space in the trunk and so I wanted the most fridge for the least amount of box space. I realize this is in disregard to how well a fridge may be insulated or how well the working components keep cool. When comparing the Engel/Norcold and new ARB, the Waeco CF-50 had the most interior room/exterior size ratio.

I have not made the actual measurements for the Whynter 45 but by manufacturing specs, the exterior measures 21x18x21 (7938 cubic inches)

Waeco 50 exterior measures (w/o handles) 24x18.9x14.7 (6668 cubic inches)

So, if the two companies are advertising accurate capacities, the Waeco has 5 qts more capacity and yet takes up less space.

Correction: the Waeco CF-50 is actually rated at 52 qts capacity, or 49 liters

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
good point,,, i dont know how the overal dimensions affect insulating quality either,,, the case on the whynter/edgestar is very square,,, the walls are pretty dang thick and the compressor area is roomy. i can see how a similar capacity cooler could be made smaller overall but i dunno how that affects performance between the two,, but hey, they both work and thats what matters.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I have in my possession an almost new, used twice Whynter 45qt fridge, and a couple years old Waeco 50qt.

Okay, here's the deal. The Whynter sometimes has trouble staying cold enough. I lost a 1/2 gallon of milk at the expo because it got up to 51 degrees for who knows how long. I think it shut itself off so it won't kill my battery. Is there a way around this? Surely it would be adequate if I was running the engine more, but I was parked for 3 days, in the sun.

The Waeco is definitely used. It works well, but the lid is missing a knob on one side that keeps it on, so I'd have to figure out how to deal with that. And does it do the whole battery saving shut off thing too?

I know the Waeco is a better fridge, but I'm wondering if it's physical state would hinder so far as to be inferior to it's newer generic counterpart.

Any advice? I gotta sell one...

Is this the Waeco fridge you bought from me at the Expo??? If so that thing rocks and does have a battery cutoff switch! I'm not familiar with the Whynter fridge at all. I do know that the Waeco has served me well for years all over Mexico, Central America and Baja with no problems at all. The only reason the knob on one side of the lid is broke off is because my 250 lb's set on it one too many times:) The only reason I sold the Waeco is because I finally moved up to my dream fridge from www.equipt1.com. I got the National Luna 50 qt. split fridge freeze, meaning it has a 40 qt. fridge and a 10 qt. freezer. Did I mention that it is stainless steel!!!! If you have any questions about the Waeco shoot me a pm!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94