Used RTT's - what to look for?

smcleod417

I'm just getting into the overlanding game and am trying to control my budget. Hence I'm trying to control my budget by looking at used RTT's What should I be looking out for/checking when buying a used RTT? Also, I've got a line on a used Tepui Autana 3 Ruggedized from an acquaintance for $1500. Is this a reasonable price?

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
Check the fabric for any mould or water damage/staining. Try out all the zippers and make sure they work, and don't pop off their tracks. Check the base fabric around the bottom where the zipper goes around to zip up the cover for fraying/signs of the zipper getting caught. The ruggedized have a good floor base, so there shouldn't be any dents to watch out for. Make sure the outer cover is in good condition as in no holes, wear points and the UV cover isn't faded (good sign of age). Check the ladder out, make sure the locking pins are in place and no bolts are missing. If the tent has an LED light, check the battery, or power connector point. Also a big one is to check all the bug screens for holes!

Beyond that, good luck and hopefully you'll find a deal! I don't know what the used prices are on the ruggedized models are like where you live but I occasionally see one around $2K to $2.5K used around here in Alberta Canada. I never bought one before as only the orange ones go up for sale, and I don't like waking up in an orange tent when the sun is out. I prefer more traditional colours.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Check for corrosion and salt staining around Houston. I bought a used model that had clearly seen some beach use. I got a fair deal, but wish I had been more observant going in.

Along those lines, I’m seriously not a fan of Tepui “Haze Grey” color. It is hell to keep clean in Sierra Mountain dirt, as I feel that it stains much more easily than my former blue Tepui tents did.

billiebob

$1500. Is this a reasonable price?
Are you crazy. RTTs depreciate 50% when they are bought. They are fabric. Think rot, stressed seams, how was it stored. WHY IS IT FOR SALE !!!!!!!!!!! $1500 for a tent???? really. You are buying into a market at its peak and it is going to crash. $500 is maybe a good cost per square foot....

nixid

Observer
I bought one that was bent in shipping, $220
tepui-tent-jpeg.524722

Attachments

• Tepui Tent.jpeg
    Tepui Tent.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 107

ZMagic97

Explorer
Hinges, screws...etc. I bought a used one (very inexpensive) and had to replace some hardware from use. Prior owner looked like the attempted to do so, but didn't do the best job. Had one the the hinges "pop" away from the body but not all the way while climbing in. Gave me a good scare.

drinkdrankdrunk

Honestly I'd look at the Smittybuilt's. They're like $700 shipped to your door. Unless you step up to hardshells, I think SB is the way to go, especially with you trying to watch your money. I'd argue that usually what kills/makes someone sell an RTT is mold and issues caused from sitting on top of your roof 365 days a year, and all tents are pretty much equally susceptible to this. I could be wrong but I don't think most RTT's are killed from being used too often, it's from wear and tear caused from just roasting on your roof and being open to the elements. Save your money, buy a smittybilt and spend another $700 5 years down the road when you need to buy another.

I'm usually a buy once cry once type of guy, but there are some things where you really need to view them as more of an expendable type of thing, and I think RTT's might fall into that category.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz