used car lot at Earthroamer

TheRoadie

Explorer
charlieaarons said:
Do I sense a bit of class envy here?
Hehe. I was actually thinking back to this morning watching the CBS show out of the corner of my eye. The owner of some web site that had a bunch of in-the-ambulance pics of Britney Spears being driven away said he had a team of 15 (!) paparazzi on a 7X24 stakeout on her. That just offended me so much that a free press can be allowed to do that, I just figured if Britney was going to buy an "RV" (in her mind) it would be an ER.

Certainly didn't mean that I'm not aspiring and saving to have one or a Mog.

Scott Brady

Founder
LandCruiserPhil said:
A lot of money for a vehicle that has never really proven itself as a true expedition vehicle IMO.

At the end of the day, it is the driver. Someone with the will to actually GO on an adventure to some far away place. It doesn't matter if it is an EarthRoamer or a VW bug, the difference is only the degree of comfort enjoyed by the occupants.

It just like an ice cream parlor, pick your flavor and enjoy it (for me it is dark chocolate, with chocolate chips and some of those sprinkles on the cone). There are lots of expensive Land Rovers, Toyotas and Custom Unimogs sitting around collecting dust out there.

expeditionswest said:
Help me understand what you were saying here...

I was addressing The Roadie, not you, w/respect to the fact that we work our way "up the ladder".
I've read Beeghley's ideas; I think he's guilty of "class envy" in terms of setting his defining lines way too low. I have not been a member of the hereditary rentier class for the majority of my 58 year life, which I think he'd put the likes of me into.
Forgive off-topicity.

Charlie

Last edited:

boblynch

Adventurer
I've driven past scores of RV dealers and self-storage lots filled with rigs that cost more than any Earthroamer. They are everywhere (state parks, NASCAR races, football games, mall parking lots, etc.). That’s okay.

If you find an Earthroamer too upscale or over priced, or just don’t like them, that’s also okay. Some folks might say the same about Land Cruisers and Rovers. Thankfully they keep building them...

Carlyle

Explorer
I agree! If you really want a vehicle and are willing to work hard and save and perhaps forgo a few pleasures, you can have it. I looked at the ER, but it is so darn tall among other things.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
It's all a matter of personal preference. The guy with the giant RV will scoff at the other guy who buys a gianter RV that floats saying, "He'll never go out on a lake with that thing. Its useless". And both will find it ludicrous that their other neighbor bought the giantest RV that can stow a matching Mini within its bowels citing the fact that it is so much easier to tow than stow.

What these RV guys fail to see is that they all got what they want to suit their needs. The beauty of it is that there is something out there for everyone.

haven

Expedition Leader
too tall

Carlyle wrote
"I looked at the ER, but it is so darn tall among other things."

When you put a camper with a full height interior onto a chassis with big tires and a suspension lift, the result is a vehicle that is 10 to 11 ft tall.

For example,
Earthroamer.........10 ft 8 in tall overall, 6 ft 5 in headroom inside.
Gary Wescott's Turtle V....10 ft tall, with 6 ft 3 in headroom.
Stephen Stewart's Unimog U1300L ....11 ft tall, with 6 ft 9 in headroom

The travel height can be reduced by 18 to 30 inches by using a camper with a pop-up roof, as Carlyle is doing with his Alaskan Camper.

Chip Haven

Willman

In person, these are sweet rigs!

You have to see first hand the nice job they do on these ER.

IMO

HUGE DROOL FACTOR!

DSC03655.jpg

I'd buy one!

Robthebrit

Explorer
My mog camper is 10'2 with 5'11 inside height.

I was very impressed with the Earth Roamer camper, its every bit as good as a Unicat. I personally am not too keen on their choice of vehicles. If they made them on a mog or MAN chassis they would be a serious competitor to Unicat and even with the chassis cost on these vehicles they would be cheaper than a Unicat but $50k more than they currently are.

The camper is awesome, everything is fitted really well, everything works really well and its very comfortable. I am not sure how they hold up over hundreds of thousands of miles, its construction is a little lighter weight than my camper but I think it will hold up fine - mine did.

I think width is its biggest problem. Its way too high to ship in a container and so it mine and all the others. The earthroamer is too wide to flat rack so RORO is your only option.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles