Used 4X4, won't move now

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Put my bus into 4wd to back up and had no problem. Put in Park, unlocked the hubs then put in Neutral to put t-case back into 2wd. Tried to move n no dice.
Any thoughts or ideas? Was dark out and by myself so unabl to do anything. Will have to wait until Sunday.
Bus has less than 20k on new trans and t-case.

eporter

Adventurer
Try putting it in drive and going straight. Then maybe same in reverse. Sometimes the transfer case can get bound up a little. Especially if you turned while in reverse and maybe had extra traction? Often times I need to back up a little in reverse to get the shifter out of 4wd.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Forgot to mention that if I didn't know any better I think its binding up.
Will check linkages (all felt normal though) on Sunday.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Try putting it in drive and going straight. Then maybe same in reverse. Sometimes the transfer case can get bound up a little. Especially if you turned while in reverse and maybe had extra traction? Often times I need to back up a little in reverse to get the shifter out of 4wd.
Won't go forward or back. Went in straight line. Will see if I can turn the steering wheel though.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Your case stuck in Neutral? Pretty common with lots of old cases to move from 4 hi to N but not to 2 hi... how old is bus? Is case factory? Sometimes the floor or body sags on various vehicles and the t case shifter hits the edge of floor cutout and cant Move far enough forward to achieve 2 hi. This is really common on Chevy trucks with rotten body mounts.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Make sure you chock your wheels, especially if you decide to go under it and mess with the linkage. Does it just sound like it's in neutral when you give it throttle? If so, that means it can just roll without the parking brake on. On an F700 I drove for a company I used to work for, I would have to put my foot on the transfer case shift lever and give it everything I had to get it back in to 2wd.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Is on a slight down hill on soft ground yet does not roll down. Wheels are chocked as no e brake and tranfercase and transmission has less than 20k on them after rebuild.
Not a factory 4X4, aftermarket conversion with less than 20k on it n less than 10 miles in 4wd over last year.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You need to throw out a lot more specific detail if you want to get successful internet troubleshooting. Make and model of vehicle, transmission, case. Does it rev but not move? Is something slipping? You said “bound” but didn’t describe why you feel that way. Any smells or noises in the last miles?

My guess is that something is wrong with your shifter, and it is hitting or binding on something, but that is almost impossible to diagnose without being there in person with more than 1 person.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Since it worked until you shifted back into 2wd I would focus on the t-case and shifter/shift motor electrics depending on the type of shift system you have.

Darrell

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Sorry not being specific. It's a 2002 E450 with 4R100 trans, NV271 t-case and 7.3 engine. Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear.
Revs up but does not move, have not floored it since becoming immobile as don't want to brake anything. Was trying to leave for work and after having the issue I tried to move forward and back but was not able to n didn't have time to mess with it and did not want to wake the neighbors up at o dark hundred with straight pipe and backup beeper so stopped.
Will check it out in the morning as no work and will be light out and able to see. Also have a couple friends coming over to help as hard to trouble shoot solo.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
While I agree that the most likely place to start looking is shift motor and electrics, I assume electric shift, I would absolutely start by making sure the transmission has enough fluid and it isn’t burned. The “rebuilt 20k ago” part makes me think that just about anything could be wrong.
Is it cold where you are? That could affect shifts or fluid pressure.

be extremely careful climbing under while troubleshooting, that is how “I ran my friend over” stories start. Consider removing the driveshafts and just watching yokes turn to determine what is working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles