Use of Memory Clear and Diag Check for ECU Errors instead of MUT/OBD

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
The joys of computer controlled automotive systems. Grrrrrrrrr.......
Sadly, these days we don't get a choice in these matters, so just have to live with it. It's either that or go with an older vehicle, that comes with it's own challenges.

The joys of computer controlled automotive systems. Grrrrrrrrr.......
Sadly, these days we don't get a choice in these matters, so just have to live with it. It's either that or go with an older vehicle, that comes with it's own challenges.

Yes SkiFreak this has certainly been a right nightmare not too mention a horrendous cost and still the safe mode continues.
The wires to the speed sensor was no more than the reversing beepers and lights which I discovered after the new terminals did not work, I then disconnected the new terminals only to find out that they were the reverse lights! A few days ago I put the lorry up on the ramps and found another corroded terminal next the the reverse light wires, these were attached to the gear lever linkage on the gearbox, I started to check these out only to find more corrosion, after fitting 1 new terminal I realised that these were for the PTO and as it is not a tipper any more left them unconnected.
Next I will trace the wire from the pump to the ECU that related to the camshaft timing sensor as this is what keeps coming up on the blink code and splice into each ends and try my luck. Watch this space........

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Was this truck in a salt rich environment in its previous life?
I will say... on my truck I use a bit of dielectric grease in the connectors that are exposed to the elements, as I have found that even the connectors that are meant to be waterproof often aren't.

Was this truck in a salt rich environment in its previous life?
I will say... on my truck I use a bit of dielectric grease in the connectors that are exposed to the elements, as I have found that even the connectors that are meant to be waterproof often aren't.

The UK adds salt to the roads so yes pretty much a salt environment. Have used electrical contact grease in the past.

Just a short up date, still in and out of safe modes when ever it feels like it, sometimes only for a split second, sometimes a minute of 2 :rolleyes:
Haven't got around to sorting any further though.
However I have found another auto electrician who came to work on a project of mine and sorted it very quickly. He is willing to tackle the Canter's issue and with what I have seem him do in the past, he'll be the guy to sort it :)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It's good to have a plan! ?

Given what I have seen throughout this extended fault finding expedition of yours, I still think that somewhere you have a high resistance point, probably due to corrosion.
As with any intermittent problem, the challenge is finding the root cause, which can be very difficult.

It's good to have a plan! ?

Given what I have seen throughout this extended fault finding expedition of yours, I still think that somewhere you have a high resistance point, probably due to corrosion.
As with any intermittent problem, the challenge is finding the root cause, which can be very difficult.

This certainly is challenging, the auto electrician called in has he was close in the neighbour hood and had a quick look at all the earth that were easy to access and these were all removed and cleaned up, also tidied up some messed with before wiring that had been for the now removed PTO. Unfortunately it was only a quick call by buy told me to disconnect the fuel filter plug to see if that will make any difference.
A quick drive up the road a few days later and it still had the safe mode come in. It is really only when the lorry wants too go into safe mode that it will.
I drove up north last week and have noticed it going into safe mode a bit more than normal, so with on the move I depress the clutch pedal and once the revs drop to under 1200 rpm's the orange light go out and then I can carry on my way. However the lorry came back on the back of a breakdown service as I stopped to ask directions and when I got back in to start it up it didn't want to know, first thoughts were a dicky starter motor. The Honda garage I asked directions at put their jump pack on it and it mad no difference, still sounded like the battery was flat. The AA were then within 40 minutes and were stomped are over an hour trying to get it running, even tried crash starting but as soon as the clutch was let off the ignition lights went out and she was a no go! She back home now after 3 different recovery vehicle services were called, broke down 10:30 am Wednesday and finally back home Friday morning at 11am.....Yep not impressed!
I removed the starting motor and it worked fine, reinstalled it and it would not work, so took it to have it checked and worked fine on the bench, however put a small load on it and it wouldn't work even after various tests. Amazing that it failed without any warning whatso ever. New starter on the way and should be here Friday. Then I can get the auto electrician back when he comes back from holidays.
Blink code was still throwing up Camshaft Timing Sensor. Possibly a weak spot in the wiring, which would account for the low voltage fault during the ECU check? Would this also mean what you have said about a high resistance Skifreak?

High resistance occurs from loose or poor connections.

Thank you, I am sure there is, as you say a poor connection and the only place left to check is the plug that plugs onto the back of the diesel pump, the connectors on the back of the pump are fine but no-one has physically looked at the plug sockets that plug in. Maybe a loose connection in there for the cam timing sensor??
Failing that the auto electrician will have a job to do when he gets here.
Will keep you up dated, though I don't think anything further will be sorted before we go on holiday for 3 months to NZ. :cool:

Just a quick update, I'll be waiting for the weather to warm up a little before looking further into the intermittent safe mode issue. I will be running a slave wire from the pump to the ECU via the EML.

MI55U5

Hey all, sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm chasing the codes for a FG649 (Aus), can't seem to find them anywhere.

Have done the diagnostics and have the codes, but no way of knowing what they are.

Reason I ask is that the truck has the red engine code showing on dash, but appears to be running/driving fine, so want to get to the bottom of it if possible.

Thanks in advance.

MI55U5

What error codes are you getting?

Just bought the vehicle a couple months back so don't know which are current, which are not but as follows:

I've cleared them all but haven't been able to drive it much, red engine light of death is still on dash, doesn't come on at startup, but comes on after a little bit.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am assuming that the above are the flash code errors, right?
Most of those are sensor related codes, so the first thing I would be checking is the main ground connection points, as that is a known problematic area in these trucks.
Do you have a workshop manual for your truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles