USB dongle / charging into a RTT or Trailer Tent

cmorrow

I have an OzTrail trailer tent that is part of a Turtleback Adventure trailer. I’d like to add some USB ports inside the tent for charging. There are some small zips at the end corner of the tent that would allow easy access to running a wire from the tongue box electronics into the tent.

Inside the tongue box I have a Blue Sea fuse block, and a relatively cheap modified sine inverter with USB ports. 

Running USB charging off of the inverter works, but I’d prefer to not need the inverter in the loop and powered on.

I was originally going to install a Blue Sea Below Deck panel with a few ports and switch into the plywood bed platform but I think they will be too covered up by the mattress. 

I am considering running a pair of wires from my fuse block through a small grommeted hole in the platform to one or two of these SAE to USB devices instead.
They have their own power switch, and the one listed here seems to be reasonable quality: 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078FTSJWJ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_zSnIDbPY7N48N?pldnSite=1

I did find this thread and like the additional suggestion of the Powerworx USB Buddy but they're not switched and offer only 1 port per adapter: https://powerwerx.com/usbbuddy-powerpole-usb-converter-device-chargerhttps://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/quality-12v-to-usb-hidden-adapters.193834/

Thoughts on the SAE to USB adapters? I like that they are switched or could be easily unplugged. Other alternatives?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A USB battery would be much more handy if you're just charging phones and what-not.

If you're really after a hardwired solution this DROK has been reliable for me.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I don't really see an issue with those SAE to USB devices you linked, but I feel like @dreadlocks hit it on the head. A large USB battery bank is maybe $35, and is functional while you aren't in the tent and are sitting out by the camp fire or whatever else you may be doing.

dreadlocks

yeah I racked my head for a while trying to figure out best way to get DC power over to my two bunks, ended up getting a pocket I could hang from the support pole and slapped a 10AH usb-c bank in it.. now kids can watch movie on tablet hooked to the bank, in either bed pretty much all day long.. Got a high output usb-c PD charger in an acc port elsewhere in trailer.. it recharges that big bank PDQ.

with ever-changing usb standards, and better charging and stuff coming out all the time.. I'm not making the same mistake of hardwiring a bunch of it again.. USB Car chargers are good enough and can be had w/good quality like anker instead of just cheap Chinese junk.. and portable battery banks remove all need for ports all over the place within easy access.

cmorrow

Yep, I get it guys - and that's what I do now, use a USB battery bank. I just thought I might as well utilize the giant battery that's in my tongue box that already gets charged via my vehicle and solar panel.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
For the back-up solar system at my cabin, I found a nice little unit made for motorcycles that gives you cig plug, 2x USBs, amp meter and volt meter. It even has an old cigarette lighter ( i don't use it).

It is made to mount on a handlebar but is easily modified.

john61ct

Adventurer
I abhor and fear ciggie ports, IMO a dangerous abortion, avoid like the plague for anything important, or that you use regularly. Never more than 5-6A and only for short periods, as in a few minutes. Even then they are risky, an inherently poor design!

Blue Sea has a nice socket design that twist-locks with the matching plug, but will also accept standard ciggie plugs for smaller (
Also the BMW/ Hella/ Merit/ Powerlet "Euro-style DIN" (ISO 4165) style is very robust.

Anderson plugs for high amps, for me my standard, for almost all power connections.

If you standardize on one of the last two types, there are adapters for guests, temporary use of devices with standard ciggie plugs.

USB chargers designed to be hard-wired from 12V are best.

Especially as we move to Type C / PD standard, multiple ports & higher amp rates

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I abhor and fear ciggie ports, IMO a dangerous abortion, avoid like the plague for anything important, or that you use regularly. Never more than 5-6A and only for short periods, as in a few minutes. Even then they are risky, an inherently poor design!

Blue Sea has a nice socket design that twist-locks with the matching plug, but will also accept standard ciggie plugs for smaller (
Also the BMW/ Hella/ Merit/ Powerlet "Euro-style DIN" (ISO 4165) style is very robust.

Anderson plugs for high amps, for me my standard, for almost all power connections.

If you standardize on one of the last two types, there are adapters for guests, temporary use of devices with standard ciggie plugs.

USB chargers designed to be hard-wired from 12V are best.

Especially as we move to Type C / PD standard, multiple ports & higher amp rates
Well sure, cig plugs suck. But cig plugs still remain ubiquitous. Like maybe he wants to use a cheap 12v fan in that tent??

He's not compelled to use it and it has a nice rubber cover...

john61ct

Adventurer
That's what the Anderson pigtail's for, but chopping the ciggie plug switching to anderson, much better.

Seriously seen too many charred melted ports & surrounds

dreadlocks

if its just used to put a USB converter in, its perfectly fine.. and its about the only way possible to get a certified usb-c PD port for 12v source.

for anything else I'd use Anderson's, but hardwiring usb is going be an old legacy port within half a decade.. the stupid ciggy plug isn't going anywhere, with a female plug on a lead you could shrink wrap the USB adapter into it and make it quazi permanent.. just cut it off and put whatever the latest and greatest charging standard is in a few years.

Ive got 2 USB ports and a Ciggy plug in my trailer, the two USB ports are slow as crap and the ciggy plug has a USB-C PD and USB-A QC3 Port.. almost never use the built in usb ports, think they are just 1A.. Ive converted two of the other ciggy ports to powerpoles, but this one will remain for USB chargers.

Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles