(USA) panel options Total Composites or GXV DIY Adventure Kits

charlesrg

When comparing GXV Adventure Kits and Total Composites they come up to similar price and both have good reputation.

Would there be a factor to steer the decision to either of them ?

The goal is to outfit an M1083 with a nicely insulated box and have a dependable overland truck for world traveling.
1613587468234.png

carterd

Consider what window and door manufacturer you want to use and ensure they will fit the GXV or Total Composite panel thickness. I believe GXV uses 60mm and TC uses 50mm side panels. If you look at Tern Overland windows, for example, they are advertised to fit:

24-34mm / 15/16" - 1 3/8"- included in price
35-44mm / 1 3/8" - 1 3/4" - included in price
45–54mm / 1 3/4" - 2 1/8" - included in price
64-74mm / 2 1/2" - 3" - $59

So these might not fit the GXV panels without some modification.

charlesrg

Consider what window and door manufacturer you want to use and ensure they will fit the GXV or Total Composite panel thickness. I believe GXV uses 60mm and TC uses 50mm side panels. If you look at Tern Overland windows, for example, they are advertised to fit:

24-34mm / 15/16" - 1 3/8"- included in price
35-44mm / 1 3/8" - 1 3/4" - included in price
45–54mm / 1 3/4" - 2 1/8" - included in price
64-74mm / 2 1/2" - 3" - $59

So these might not fit the GXV panels without some modification.
Thank you, that is a good point.

carterd

If you plan to do anything other than white, check if that manufacturer warranties their panels if they are painted or wrapped. TC says "we do not recommend changing the white color to anything darker. There would be an increased risk of delamination due to higher surface temperatures. These higher temperatures could soften the panel adhesive and possibly cause the separation of foam core and FRP skin." So the flat black with skull and crossbones motif you were thinking about is probably a non-starter.:)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
When comparing GXV Adventure Kits and Total Composites they come up to similar price and both have good reputation.

Would there be a factor to steer the decision to either of them ?

YES! I went through this with my build.

I contacted GXV, Boxmanfaktur, and TC regarding my box and panels.

GXV never responded to 3 emails and 2 phone calls, twice was told, someone would call me back, they never did... Unsubstantiated rumor is they arent doing well, had a bunch of adventure truck bodies cracking, and they are up poops creek

BOX replied to one voicemail, asked me to email dimensions, which i did, and i never heard back, repeated calls and emails, nothing...

I wouldnt say cost was no object, but i was willing to spend whatever it took to get things right for what i wanted, so all options were explored.

@Victorian from TC was over the top awesome with communication and answering questions.

There are ample pros and cons to all of them, but for me, my money goes where the customer service is.

I am 90% super super happy with my Total Composites kit and the after sale communications and questions and answer. Andres even took the time to answer my questions on the weekend while i was in the middle of my build during a heat wave. That was HUGE.

Overall, i would definitely recommend Total Composites for a box. But as with anything, its not all unicorns and rainbows...

Price: They all equal about the same when everything is factored in.

Pros:
-Easy assembly, the DIY extrusion system is genius and super easy to work with
-Customizeable, very easy to have anything you can dream up
-Customer Service. This is huge and TC is amazing here
-Weight, all assembled, this box weighs as much as my little four wheel camper did and twice the size.
-Wire chases in roof make for a super clean install of lighting and such

Cons:
-Wait, took a month longer than quoted which intially pissed me off big time, but due to the Rona Plague, and the borders being closed, this ended up a non issue.
-Finish: The stainless caps for the radius portion of the cab over arent a radius and look very wonky. I STILL dont have this done yet and its driving me nuts. Even more frustrating, they are including nice radius caps on their pickup truck campers already, Ugh
-The Tern Overland "Euro Door" which is very nice and very well insulated isnt designed for 2" panels so the install isnt as clean as i'd like and their included screen door is very poor quality. I may change this out eventually

End of the day, everything had pros and cons, but for folks that like doing their own work, TC provides a great product!

Last edited:

charlesrg

@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING really appreciate your time posting your experience. I think I'm in the same page as you are. I echo your words on the experience with GXV. On Box Manufaktr I didn't have an issue with communication, however the price was significantly higher.

I didn't understand your statement on the "radius caps" is that for the from cab angle ? I think I don't have that on my square box.

I will definitely check on door alternatives, covering the panel width is a must to avoid extra labor.

Again, really appreciate your answer.
Thank you very much.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING really appreciate your time posting your experience.

I didn't understand your statement on the "radius caps" is that for the from cab angle ? I think I don't have that on my square box.

my pleasure

yeah, the cab over comes with the front portion at either a 45 or a radius. I chose the radius and although it looks better. I still haven’t capped it properly to look clean it finish it up

CappyJax

I am looking at building a DIY as well. I am planning on mounting it on an F550 with 14 foot flat bed. A DIY Earthroamer so to speak. Have any of you purchased or received a quote for a 14 foot alcove model? I know TC doesn't build it, but do the others? My biggest issues are lack of a place and all the tools needed to assemble the exterior. However, once the shell is built, I would do the rest.

I looked at Bahn, but $35,000 for a basic shell with no insulation or cutouts is far too steep for me.

Being able to move this to a new chassis is very important to me, which is why I am not considering the motorhome units. But I do love that Unbound Freedom rig!

The silver camper that TC has on their website looks great to me. With a14 foot floor, I expect the flat part of the roof to be nearly 20 feet, and I plan to eventually make an expandable solar panel system for around 5,000W. Someday they will make an electric F550 and I will throw my camper on it. If it gets 10MPG with the diesel, it should be somewhat less than 1,250Wh/mi all electric. If I can store 20kWh a day, then every 10 days, I could drive 160 miles for free. What a dream, eh!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I am looking at building a DIY as well. I am planning on mounting it on an F550 with 14 foot flat bed. A DIY Earthroamer so to speak. Have any of you purchased or received a quote for a 14 foot alcove model? I know TC doesn't build it, but do the others? My biggest issues are lack of a place and all the tools needed to assemble the exterior. However, once the shell is built, I would do the rest.

I looked at Bahn, but $35,000 for a basic shell with no insulation or cutouts is far too steep for me.

Being able to move this to a new chassis is very important to me, which is why I am not considering the motorhome units. But I do love that Unbound Freedom rig!

The silver camper that TC has on their website looks great to me. With a14 foot floor, I expect the flat part of the roof to be nearly 20 feet, and I plan to eventually make an expandable solar panel system for around 5,000W. Someday they will make an electric F550 and I will throw my camper on it. If it gets 10MPG with the diesel, it should be somewhat less than 1,250Wh/mi all electric. If I can store 20kWh a day, then every 10 days, I could drive 160 miles for free. What a dream, eh!

As long as the assembled box fits inside a shipping container, we can pre assemble the camper for you at our facility in China for roughly US$2000 more.

CappyJax

As long as the assembled box fits inside a shipping container, we can pre assemble the camper for you at our facility in China for roughly US$2000 more.

I didn't know that was an option. But I guess that makes me lose about 10 inches of width? Do you cut out all the windows and doors? Do you have any partners in the US who can do it? I think I would pay some more for that extra 10 inches.

carterd

I would hire a local carpentry crew to do it. They would be accustomed to erecting walls and would have the clamps and squares to get it done right.

CappyJax

I would hire a local carpentry crew to do it. They would be accustomed to erecting walls and would have the clamps and squares to get it done right.

Yeah, I guess that is something to consider as well. Do you know if TC cuts the door and window openings?

ripperj

Explorer
When I called a few weeks ago, I was told they would not cut the windows and doors on a flat packed kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

charlesrg

If anyone in the East coast wants to share a container with Total Composites body, I'm up for it in south Jersey near Philadelphia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles